Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thats a great deal, given in MA, would you think the RWD model 3 be able to handle the amount of snow North east gets? I am kinda in the same boat, have an outback, a tundra, but getting a M3 to save some gas $, and hoping the rwd can handle the sometimes severe snow we get in PA.

Ordinarily we'd avoid buying a rear-wheel drive car in New England to avoid getting stuck in snow and ice, but we have a good reason to go ahead with this RWD - my 2020 Model S, onto which I put good winter snow tires. Since we don't drive a whole lot, on the snowiest days we can leave the M3 in the warm dry garage and take my MS instead. With snow tires and careful technique, a full-wheel drive like a MS can get me just about anywhere in the winter.

Ordinarily we'd avoid buying a rear-wheel drive car in New England to avoid getting stuck in snow and ice, but we have a good reason to go ahead with this RWD - my 2020 Model S, onto which I put good winter snow tires. Since we don't drive a whole lot, on the snowiest days we can leave the M3 in the warm dry garage and take my MS instead. With snow tires and careful technique, a full-wheel drive like a MS can get me just about anywhere in the winter.
I'm in NY. With the winters we've had the last five years I'm not worried. Winter has become so mild now. We also got a RWD. It's a small worry, but we have other awd/4wd cars, and I hear that these things are exceptional in the snow, as far as RWD cars go on account of very responsive stability + traction control, and a slight rear-weight bias.

The price of these things is truly absurd. I don't know why more people aren't buying. We get $2k off point of sale in NY so our model 3 was $28500 in July + dest + tax. This is the same price as a reasonably equipped civic or something these days. One national ad telling people about this and tesla would clear their inventory within a day.

We just bit the bullet and purchased a new Inventory RWD Model 3 this morning. Pickup is on Tuesday. #37,120 selling price. Minus $500 referral.

We are transferring our FSD from our 2019 Model 3. The incremental upgrade is fairly low all things considered. We bought our 2019 at close to the height of the used market last year - so we are losing a bit more than we would like. However, getting a new 2023 Model 3 - with more range, and the transfer of FSD makes it bearable. Just.

Looking forward to a brand new Model 3 on Tuesday. With the $7500 tax credit (next year), and a local $2000 rebate, we are going to get a new car for around $7-8K out of pocket...which is pretty nice.

I've been driving a 2020 MS for 3 years now, still loving it. Just a few months ago, my wife bought a new Subaru Crosstrek, but wasn't loving it. So today she test drove a M3 and ordered one on the spot. Here's where it gets good. We found just what we wanted in inventory, in blue, available in one week. Because it's an inventory car, they took off $2,470. Because we live in Massachusetts, the State gives us an instant tax rebate of $3,500 (which comes off the price of the car at purchase). The Feds will give us $7,500 EV tax credit, bringing the total discount to $13,470 and the purchase price down to $27,770. Tesla offered $23700 for my wife's Subie, so she'll get a new M3 for less than $7K out the door, all fees included (although we'll have to front Tesla the $7,500 EV tax credit and get it back next April). Delivery is in about 10 days.
Your purchase price is actually 27770 + 1390 delivery fee + 250 order fee (which you paid when you ordered). Which means after all your discounts and future tax credits, your sales price is 29410. But wait there's more, you didn't include mass sales tax which is 6.25% of the discounted price and fees, which is 2525.63. So your REAL out the door cost after all your credits both present and future is 31935.63. Still a great deal but a little more than your 27770.

Reactions: cdub
We just bit the bullet and purchased a new Inventory RWD Model 3 this morning. Pickup is on Tuesday. #37,120 selling price. Minus $500 referral.

We are transferring our FSD from our 2019 Model 3. The incremental upgrade is fairly low all things considered. We bought our 2019 at close to the height of the used market last year - so we are losing a bit more than we would like. However, getting a new 2023 Model 3 - with more range, and the transfer of FSD makes it bearable. Just.

Looking forward to a brand new Model 3 on Tuesday. With the $7500 tax credit (next year), and a local $2000 rebate, we are going to get a new car for around $7-8K out of pocket...which is pretty nice.
Great deal, I also got mine for that same price, what color is yours?

Reactions: BioSci
$.50 peak hours here on the Californian central coast/bay area.

But honestly anyone who is actually trying to SAVE money with a Tesla kinda missed the point.

The car is a luxury upgrade at a luxury cost similar to a decent daily driver. It is absolutely NOT a luxury replacement at hobo prices. I know that for a fact because I owned a honda fit before this and the annual cost of that car was easily HALF, even one THIRD of my current model 3, incentives, expensive gas, and all.

Insurance alone more than eats up any gas savings one could have had especially here in Cali. Let's not talk about sky high electricity rates, the power hungry sentry cams and other features...

That said I do feel sorry for those mourning the resale values...that is UNTIL they discover something massively wrong with the new models.

No turn stalks to me is already a gigantic safety hazard and I'm sure something else will come up. Something that the reviewers through either their rose colored glasses or simply because their tested model wasn't mass produced just didn't see.

I know I still envy my sister's super nice '18 M3 with Radar sensors and unlimited supercharging. It's super nice....

Last edited:
$.50 peak hours here on the Californian central coast/bay area.
$0.65 summer peak on the PG&E EV plans... 😶

The car is a luxury upgrade at a luxury cost similar to a decent daily driver. It is absolutely NOT a luxury replacement at hobo prices.
Is it though? I dunno. A Model 3 is sub-$40k now, BEFORE incentives. That's well below the average vehicle transaction price these days and cheaper than a Camry post tax credit. I mean yes, if you compare any larger car to something like a Honda Fit then yeah, your costs are going to be higher but I don't really see these as comparable in any way.
Insurance alone more than eats up any gas savings one could have had especially here in Cali.
Again, does it though? I know insurance is so highly variable that comparisons are almost worthless but my Model 3 (and the Model S before it) cost no more to insure than other comparable ICE cars on my policy.

Reactions: EatsShoots

Is it though? I dunno. A Model 3 is sub-$40k now, BEFORE incentives. That's well below the average vehicle transaction price these days and cheaper than a Camry post tax credit. I mean yes, if you compare any larger car to something like a Honda Fit then yeah, your costs are going to be higher but I don't really see these as comparable in any way.

Again, does it though? I know insurance is so highly variable that comparisons are almost worthless but my Model 3 (and the Model S before it) cost no more to insure than other comparable ICE cars on my policy.
I got a Sub $30k new model 3 in July, so it is definitely competitive price-wise with entry level cars now, despite being far superior.

Insurance for me is high on these cars--significantly higher than similarly-valued ICE.

Reactions: ucmndd
I got a Sub $30k new model 3 in July, so it is definitely competitive price-wise with entry level cars now, despite being far superior.

Insurance for me is high on these cars--significantly higher than similarly-valued ICE.
Same here. My insurance went up from a 5-series to a model 3 then up again to a Y. Went up by $800 per year, on average. I am in Los Angeles County.

Reactions: EatsShoots

Good old Pacific Gouge & Extort... it's cheaper to supercharge than to charge at home.

My insurance is also higher with EVs and especially Teslas.

You could check your bill ;)

It’s crazy how varied prices are. I didn’t realize at least some parts of MA are super high as well. We all know some parts of CA ADE, too. Like 3x what many in the country pay. Very much impacts the price to drive per mile.
It's been well documented how utility companies (like cable and wireless) embed alot of information on the bill just to confuse what you are paying