Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Partial brag post, but also some data in here that you might find useful.

Story: My kid got their first big person job this year. Veterinarian at a non-profit animal shelter. Their 2004 Prius was on it's last legs. Mileage was OK at 110k, but multiple instances of damage in its history made for some sooner than average maintenance issues. The shocks had given out, hybrid battery replaced, and other expensive repairs were coming up.

Lucky for them, I found out how the pricing situation for new Tesla's got crazy good this year. After some research, I realized my kid's income history (basically nothing in 2022 and before, real income only starting in 2023) and old car really sweetened the incentive deal, but only if I acted fast. The CVRP $7500 rebate was speculated to run out of funds soon. And the Clean Cars For All Program, which requires junking a 2005 or older car, was an incentive you had to apply for BEFORE you bought the car!

After 6 weeks of paperwork, I finally got the CCFA grant to buy the car at the end of August. The CVRP was scheduled to go on waitlist status early September, so I had less than 2 weeks to pick a car and get everything scheduled so that my kid and I could get the car together. Serendipitously, CA added $2,000 EV Charge card starting August 15th. Even though funds would run out 3 weeks later. Government logic hah.

Originally, I was just going to get them a M3 LR AWD, but the cheapest inventory model was $45,200 for a red M3 LR AWD, which was not liked. And the more acceptable color of Midnight Silver for a M3 P AWD was conveniently only $47,920... so a performance car for Jr. SaladTosser it was. Had to make a long 80 mile roadtrip after a full workday, but it was worth it.

Base Cost breakdown:
$53,240 Base Price
$1,390 Destination Fee
$250 Order Fee
-$500 Referral bonus
-$5,320 Inventory Price Adjustment

Base Total: $49,060

Total Cost Breakdown
$49,060 Base Price (used for tax/fee calculation)
-$7,500 Federal EV Tax Credit
-$7,500 CVRP Rebate
-$2,000 CVRP EV Charge Card
-$9,500 Clean Cars For All trade in

Cost before Taxes/Gov Fees: $22,560

$5,131.73 Sales Tax 9.125% + non-Tesla fees
-$1,931.73 CCFA Tax Exemption (3.9375%)

Total Cost: $25,760

Financed at 4.49%, 36 months, with USSFCU

My kid is an insanely lucky turd. They even have cheaper electricity than me. PG&E electricity pricing is like 33-35 cents/kWh blended on the EV-2A plan. They're only paying like 12 cents by living in a suburb without PG&E. Guess it's karma for going non-profit, instead of full corporate. Meanwhile, corporate peon me has to "suffer" with PG&E and a 2018 M3 LR AWD.

Reactions: Pkmmte and arkhos
This sounds like a troll post. If your kid made nothing in 2022 as you stated. There’s a chance he wouldn’t have $7500 in tax liability so that is not really any savings.
Who calls their kid a “Jr Salad Tosser” or “turd”? I hope this is a troll post or you probably need therapy.

This sounds like a troll post. If your kid made nothing in 2022 as you stated. There’s a chance he wouldn’t have $7500 in tax liability so that is not really any savings.
Who calls their kid a “Jr Salad Tosser” or “turd”? I hope this is a troll post or you probably need therapy.

Just finished vet school, income was below 10k in 2021 due to internship/part time work. Due to 2022 tax filing deadline extension, any program that did a lookback for income verification uses 2021 tax returns FYI

Full time work began towards the end of 2022, after graduation and other paperwork, so full ability to take advantage of fed tax credit.

This subsidy combination is rare, I personally could not have taken advantage of it.

Also, see my username: MeanSaladToss. It's nothing personal

Don't have the CA rebates here, but I still think any inventory M3 is a great deal compared to other hybrids (I looked at Corolla, Prius etc) after fed credit
I was not impressed with the other EVs I test drove, and dealerships were quite difficult to work with for the desired hybrid/EV models. Due to the tight timeframe of ordering, Tesla was an even more standout choice. No way could I have made this purchase in time with most other dealerships, not without paying an absurd markup on unnecessary options.

Toyota dealerships in particular are super annoying. Hard to buy a Prius these days with the desired trim, options, and no markups. And they've been horrible to work with for maintenance. Took a while to convince my partner to go to independent shops, so we wouldn't get overcharged for subpar and delayed work.

Reactions: vickh
We bought a used Tesla Inventory Model 3 just a year ago. At that time it was cheaper than trying to get a new LEAF or a Kia EV6 surprisingly. At that moment we were pretty happy getting a good quality used Model 3 for around $40k...

All of the used Model 3 cars Tesla was offering last year had everything turned on - Fog Lights, Heated Rear Seats, and more importantly Full Self Driving.

As we settled into the Tesla Car ecosystem it was crazy to watch the car prices drop in November and December 2022 - they dropped even further all the way to around April of 2023. I was in a bit of shock as the used prices on the same car we bought were so much lower than we paid. The new car price was getting closer to what we paid for a 4 year old used car. We got bit a bit by market timing. The only saving grace was we had FSD on our car. It was, or is, worth something to me (right or wrong).

Fast forward to the summer 2023 and the temporary offer of being able to transfer FSD to a new car became a reality. This meant that a new 2023 Model 3 car "might" pencil out for us. We decided that if we could find a good deal on an a discounted Inventory car, in blue, we would upgrade from our 2019 to a RWD 2023.

We did this 2 weeks ago. Out of pocket it looks like it will be around a $7000 upgrade to get a brand new car with a much longer warranty and better range. Without the FSD Transfer we would not have even thought about it. Right now we have a brand new Model 3 sitting in our garage. We do miss the parking sensors and summon. Hopefully we get summon back at some point soon.

We paused a little bit to see what the Highland upgarde would look like - and while it does appear to be quite a nice upgrade it wasn't enough to make us wait.

I was not impressed with the other EVs I test drove, and dealerships were quite difficult to work with for the desired hybrid/EV models. Due to the tight timeframe of ordering, Tesla was an even more standout choice. No way could I have made this purchase in time with most other dealerships, not without paying an absurd markup on unnecessary options.

Toyota dealerships in particular are super annoying. Hard to buy a Prius these days with the desired trim, options, and no markups. And they've been horrible to work with for maintenance. Took a while to convince my partner to go to independent shops, so we wouldn't get overcharged for subpar and delayed work.

Agreed about Toyota dealership and other EVs/PHEVs. Only one in PHX will sell at MSRP gasp! (and they advertise it big time on their site Toyota Dealer near Phoenix AZ | Avondale Toyota

Imagine TSLA doing that ;)

Reactions: MeanSaladToss
We bought a used Tesla Inventory Model 3 just a year ago. At that time it was cheaper than trying to get a new LEAF or a Kia EV6 surprisingly. At that moment we were pretty happy getting a good quality used Model 3 for around $40k...

I was looking for my first EV about that same time. I was really focused on the EV6, as I'd had several Kias in a row that I loved, so I planned on staying with the brand and was very impressed with the EV6.

What I wasn't impressed with was the Dealer Market Adjustments of $5k-$15k, as well as how some of the salespeople spoke to me depending on which dealer you went to in my area. I have this allergy to paying over MSRP for any vehicle, so I held off. I did then look at Tesla but delivery times were in months, so I shelved my search.

This summer rolls around and I saw the '23 M3RWD fall below $40k so I jumped - and couldn't be happier. I went with the RWD because it was the cheapest and mentally-safest entry into an EV I'd consider owning, and the -only- regret I have now is that I didn't go for a Performance or LR. I know that the '23s might continue to drop a little further during the rest of the year, but I think signs point to the '24s jumping back up in price and I didn't want to risk missing out on a M3 at the price I got mine. Not to mention, we have a Tesla sales/service center/supercharger lot here in my town now where we didn't have one a year ago.

Funny thing is, now when I look at EV6 stock in my area they're all discounted, but they do not qualify for the tax credit now. What a difference a year makes.

I just saw your comment about LEAF/EV6 prices last year and while I never considered a LEAF, I had been shocked to hear Kia salesfolk telling me that an EV6 with massive mark-up was a much better purchase than a cheaper Tesla. Then again, they are salesfolk for a reason. :)

Reactions: evtifosi
I went with the RWD because it was the cheapest and mentally-safest entry into an EV I'd consider owning, and the -only- regret I have now is that I didn't go for a Performance or LR.

Don't FOMO over them -- the RWD is amazing, plenty fast and the LFP battery gives you LR range on a daily basis due to charging to 100% All inidcations is the battery will last a lot longer too. I would only choose the RWD knowing what I know now.

True. The prices of the inventory cars were about 5-10% off in September, depending on the model and the location.

If that holds, I estimate the prices of inventory cars toward the end of this quarter to be around $35,500 (RWD), $41,500 (LR), $46,500 (P). We shall see. I am probably going to end up waiting for the Highland but these would certainly be tempting...

Reactions: arkhos
drop today on Model 3's

• Model 3 RWD:
$38,990 (from $40,240) -3.1% [after -$7,500 IRA = $31,490]​
• Model 3 Long Range:
$45,990 (from $47,240) - 2.6% [after -$7,500 IRA = $38,490]​

• Model 3 Performance:
$50,990 (from $53,240) - 4.2%​

Note: Model Y Performance
$52,490 (from $54,490) - 3.7% [after -$7,500 IRA = $46,490]​

Yikes 👀

Last edited:
Reactions: P-Lo801
drop today on Model 3's

• Model 3 RWD:
$38,990 (from $40,240) -3.1% [after -$7,500 IRA = $31,490]​
• Model 3 Long Range:
$45,990 (from $47,240) - 2.6% [after -$7,500 IRA = $38,490]​

• Model 3 Performance:
$50,990 (from $53,240) - 4.2%​

Note: Model Y Performance
$52,490 (from $54,490) - 3.7% [after -$7,500 IRA = $46,490]​

Yikes 👀
The post-credit price for the MYP ($52,490 - $7,500) = $44,990.

M3P is under the $55K threshold, so it also qualifies for the IRA credit. Even the red ones (or those with white interior and other than base color), which didn't at $55240 before.

• Model 3 Performance:
$50,990 (from $53,240) - 4.2% [after -$7,500 IRA = $43,490]​

M3P is under the $55K threshold, so it also qualifies for the IRA credit.

Thank you for your correction, well I was thinking that the limit was $50k...

Well, I wonder if the Model 3 will get even more discount until the end of the quarter?
There is not too much price differentiation between the Model 3 and the Model Y
to make the Model 3 more attractive to new buyers.

I wonder if Tesla will keep the same price for the coming Model 3 Highland?
In general, updated models get a price increase when they are launch.

The only very noticeable Model 3 Highland improvements
are the ventilated front seats and rear passenger screen.
But I imagine that the Model Y will get soon the same update.

Also with the coming NACS plug, or capability to use an adapter next year,
other EVs in the market will be competing more and more against the Model 3.
Especially other EVs with similar size to the Model 3 but having a hatchback.

Well, I wonder if the Model 3 will get even more discount until the end of the quarter?

I doubt there will be much more MSRP reduction, but average transaction price will certainly be lower. Inventory cars were available for well below these new MSRPs in almost any configuration for most of Q3 and I expect that will continue or even deepen. Cheapest Model 3 I saw last quarter was $36,220.

I wonder if Tesla will keep the same price for the coming Model 3 Highland?
Model S/X refresh provides a pretty good barometer here. I'm relatively certain prices will spike at first to get as much as possible from the early adopters at the front of the line, and then will come back down again as demand and interest starts to wane.

True. The prices of the inventory cars were about 5-10% off in September, depending on the model and the location.

If that holds, I estimate the prices of inventory cars toward the end of this quarter to be around $35,500 (RWD), $41,500 (LR), $46,500 (P). We shall see. I am probably going to end up waiting for the Highland but these would certainly be tempting...
They completely removed the inventory discount after this price change. At some point, they would bring it back, but I am not sure if the same 10% off would be offered. Selfishly I am hoping that my $42520 price for LR AWD would remain the best price available in my area until project Highland refresh in the US