Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I think this is my stop. Picked up a white interior for $37,190. Felt like I was trying to time the stock market with these prices the last couple of months. Needed to buy this year as my income won't qualify me for the $7.500 tax credit next year. Hopefully I don't look like a fool in a month with dramatically lower prices!
Congratulations!
Is it a M3LR?

I think I am also about to pull the trigger on a Gray RWD Black Interior 18 Inch Wheels for $36,650. This is a 6% discount and only $430 more than historic lows (someone correct me if I am wrong). I just spoke with a Tesla Advisor and they are willing to make a pickup window ( 7 days vs 3 days) exception since I am driving two hours to pick it up. This gives me an additional week to back out in the event there is another steep discount.

• Love
Reactions: EatsShoots
Congratulations!
Is it a M3LR?
At that price, I'd say M3SR RWD. That's exactly what I'm shopping, and there was one about two hours away that I considered buying (while it was available) but was trying to arrange for when my wife would be in that area for work in two weeks. My wife was willing to just go for it now though. I talked to Tesla about it, and they said they would not allow me to wait that long to pick it up. So, I decided I wanted to wait. Now I can't save that extra $400, but there's one an hour closer for the $400 more. It's somewhat tempting, but not all that tempting. One a half hour closer than that is available for another $400. So, $800 loss is what I see as my worst case over the $37,190 that was low enough to get me to bite. Thats the price that's only ~$930 over the lowest price in the country right now and includes the $1000 white interior option.

In previous quarters, I see talk of $4000 discounts. The $37,190 id a $2800 discount. I am going to guess that the talk of $4000 discounts was not for ALL models, but maybe just some. Right now, I'm seeing about $3780 discounts on M3 Performance ($50,210), and $3530 on M3LR AWD (with 19" wheels for $46,960), and $3040 for M3RWD in Red w 19" wheels ($40,450), and $2940 discount for Red w white interior and 18" wheels ($39,050). If you just want white interior (like me), you can get a little more ($2800) of a discount than the total-base at $2730.

So, the question is whether the discounts will increase in the last month of the quarter as Tesla-Info claims they do. The "salesperson" at my local office said that deliveries during the last month of the quarter get nuts, and an attempt to offer a better customer experience, they've implemented discounts early to try and get people to buy earlier. She encouraged me to just grab one of the more-local options at a few hundred bucks more to help ensure I have smooth delivery.

So I'm left wondering if there will be additional discounts, or if we are already at the $4000 discount number seen in previous quarters because we've already got some $3780 discounts out there now. Plus the Federal Incentive is scheduled to drop apparently. So, this quarter could be more hectic than previous.

I'm sticking with my watch of the inventory numbers and hoping they are correct.

Reactions: flixden
I think I am also about to pull the trigger on a Gray RWD Black Interior 18 Inch Wheels for $36,650. This is a 6% discount and only $430 more than historic lows (someone correct me if I am wrong). I just spoke with a Tesla Advisor and they are willing to make a pickup window ( 7 days vs 3 days) exception since I am driving two hours to pick it up. This gives me an additional week to back out in the event there is another steep discount.
That's the same thing I was hoping for too. I probably should have bitten on the $37,190 one that I wanted to pick up in 13 days instead of the 7 they allowed. Had I clicked the buy button, I'd at least have the option to go after 7 days. I missed it though. I'm hoping for some of the $37,590 cars to come down to the $37,190 price in a few days, or at least the $37,990 to come down to the $37,590 number for a more local pickup for me.

Congratulations!
Is it a M3LR?
Standard range silver with white interior and aero wheels for $37,190. A total discount of $2,800. Makes the base price under 30k after the 7,500 credit! Still checking the inventory website to see if we get the $4,000 discounts the poster above described. I had FOMO and losing the $7,500 tax credit so I decided to lock in the $2,800 discount.

It could go lower but yeah you can definitely lose a great deal by chasing a perfect deal. This is an excellent price, and if you can lock it now and drag the delivery out you can, as you mention, possibly capture a discount later by reordering if you have to and eating the $250 fee (unless advisor can change your vin).

I'd like to pick up another one now but I'm hopeful we can drop from 3 to 2 cars in 10 months and, if we can, buying another car at this moment doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Nissanman
I am right there with @mknmike, likely overthinking it. After running the numbers three times over, I have put the purchase for the RWD Model 3 on hold. For now.. I am going to take the risk and wait it out until the 2nd week of December at a minimum. I am banking on unprecedented lows and am targeting $35,000. If I lose out, I will look stupid and likely regret it. The additional up front cost of tinted windows ~$700, mobile charger ~$250, level two charger ~$500, accessories ~$500 all on top of insurance premiums increasing ~$400 a year and yearly registration fees increasing ~$200 drove me to this decision.

Further discounting occurring. Will we reach ~10% discounts before December?

November 13th - MSRP
Gray $38,990 // White $39,990 // Black $40,490

November 15th (~3% off)
Gray $37,820 // White $38,790 // Black $39,280

November 17th (~5% off)
Gray $37,040 // White $38,390 // Black $38,470

November 18th (~6% off)
Gray $36,650 // White $38,390 // Black $38,060

November 21st (~7% off)
Gray $36,650 // White $37,990 // Black $37,660

At that price, I'd say M3SR RWD. That's exactly what I'm shopping, and there was one about two hours away that I considered buying (while it was available) but was trying to arrange for when my wife would be in that area for work in two weeks. My wife was willing to just go for it now though. I talked to Tesla about it, and they said they would not allow me to wait that long to pick it up. So, I decided I wanted to wait. Now I can't save that extra $400, but there's one an hour closer for the $400 more. It's somewhat tempting, but not all that tempting. One a half hour closer than that is available for another $400. So, $800 loss is what I see as my worst case over the $37,190 that was low enough to get me to bite. Thats the price that's only ~$930 over the lowest price in the country right now and includes the $1000 white interior option.

In previous quarters, I see talk of $4000 discounts. The $37,190 id a $2800 discount. I am going to guess that the talk of $4000 discounts was not for ALL models, but maybe just some. Right now, I'm seeing about $3780 discounts on M3 Performance ($50,210), and $3530 on M3LR AWD (with 19" wheels for $46,960), and $3040 for M3RWD in Red w 19" wheels ($40,450), and $2940 discount for Red w white interior and 18" wheels ($39,050). If you just want white interior (like me), you can get a little more ($2800) of a discount than the total-base at $2730.

So, the question is whether the discounts will increase in the last month of the quarter as Tesla-Info claims they do. The "salesperson" at my local office said that deliveries during the last month of the quarter get nuts, and an attempt to offer a better customer experience, they've implemented discounts early to try and get people to buy earlier. She encouraged me to just grab one of the more-local options at a few hundred bucks more to help ensure I have smooth delivery.

So I'm left wondering if there will be additional discounts, or if we are already at the $4000 discount number seen in previous quarters because we've already got some $3780 discounts out there now. Plus the Federal Incentive is scheduled to drop apparently. So, this quarter could be more hectic than previous.

I'm sticking with my watch of the inventory numbers and hoping they are correct.

We have already seen $4K+ discounts on the RWD. I just checked my screenshots and there was a Gray/White RWD for $37,120 on July 29. That was a $4,210 off $41,240, a 10% discount. Crazy that current pricing is something we saw 4 months ago...

As @KT93 outlined, discounts are appearing to be in whole numbers (%). Currently seeing the same Gray/White for $37,190 (my preferred spec), 7% off the original $39,990 price. I definitely think that 8-9% off is coming if not 10%! I've read that individual cars get discounted based on how long they have been on the lot. I'm not sure if this is true but it might make sense considering identical specs are different prices at the same location.

I figured the return on my time to try and track this for the next few weeks would be limited. One showed up with white interior at the national low of $37,190. There's lots out there, and people like us are only buying the lowest price ones. It looked to me like there was an inventory spike as high as previous quarters, and I figured it might not get any better. My family was SO SICK of hearing me talk about it. I could be the jerk hawking prices over the holidays, or have a fun nice new car to drive over the holidays. I bought yesterday morning and picked up this morning. I will post some videos of supercharging and how painful it is to get that last 1%. Had to do it bc the mobile charger won't show up for more than a week and the battery should be charged to 100% once a week supposedly. I dragged my 12 year old son through it, but he seemed to enjoy investigating and playing with the car. He's been in almost every ride in the car so far today. 8 mile odometer was at 82 miles at the supercharger, and must be near 90 now as my wife runs out for another errand. Very very happy. And while I did see one more car briefly show up at $37,190 at a closer location this morning (one I surely would not have been able to pickup today, before Thanksgiving) it disappeared pretty instantly.

Yes, the price may go down more but:
1) we are already seeing some (higher end) cars discounted near $4000
2) $2800 (my discount) plus the recent $1000 price cut is pretty close to $4000
3) $36,260 the current lowest possible price is not far from the supposed all-time-low of $35,000
4) $7500 federal money is supposed to be cut in half, so December might really be nuts.

Oh. Cherry Hill, NJ is a mess of a pickup location, jam packed with service vehicles and a few new cars, no place to park when you arrive. Worst of all, the first thing you need to do is drive your brand new car through piles of mud and dirt off-roading to get onto the highway where you need to hammer it (easy in a Tesla) to merge with traffic where there is no merge lane. The people there were very nice, and appeared to care about the bubble in the paint on the leading edge of the frunk lid that also seems to sit too low in the center. It might need a small shim under the U-latch. The sides seem to be fine on the panel gaps. Perhaps it's intentional that the center of my frunk lid sits a bit too low to protect or hide the imperfect paint. All else looks very good though.

So my saga in this thread ends. Thank you all for all the help and encouragement!

Congrats @mknmike! $36,120 was the lowest price I ever saw for a grey car with black interior in August. Considering your $1000 white option, it would seem you only paid $70 over the all-time low.

They'll probably send it to a body shop for the paint/hood adjustment so plan it for a time when you don't mind having a loaner or no car for a week.

No need to ever charge to 100% by the way. All it does is improve the computer's ability to estimate range (and reduce efficiency, and wear down your brakes.)

Reactions: mknmike
Congrats @mknmike! $36,120 was the lowest price I ever saw for a grey car with black interior in August. Considering your $1000 white option, it would seem you only paid $70 over the all-time low.

They'll probably send it to a body shop for the paint/hood adjustment so plan it for a time when you don't mind having a loaner or no car for a week.

No need to ever charge to 100% by the way. All it does is improve the computer's ability to estimate range (and reduce efficiency, and wear down your brakes.)
On the paint thing, it doesn’t sound like anything is going to happen. It takes a keen eye to see it.

The LFP batteries seem to all recommend the 100% charge once per week. I took a few videos while charging which shows “calibrating” for the last 1% which took a quite a while. It seemed like it would have been wrong to cancel in the middle of that. It seemed like doing the right thing on the first charge made sense. Maybe it was just damaging the battery. I don’t know, but would like to help others know the right thing to do in this scenario.

Thank you!

Floor mats and mobile charger. They don’t come with the base model 3, and in my case take over a week to arrive. I didn’t want to buy them before buying the car, but now that I see how long they take to arrive, I wish I’d bought them ahead of time. I’m now considering taking floor mats out of another car, and had the 100% charge conundrum. Neither would be a concern if I’d purchased them ahead of time.

United States Inventory numbers for the model 3 showing on Tesla-info still look very healthy, above 2100 this morning, but I remember seeing 2200 and numbers as low as 1800-1900 for the past two days I think.

What I wanted to share visually is the M3 (and MY) recent inventory peaks that are at or above recent quarter peaks, also near the end of the second month of the quarter when it seems to me the steepest discounts are introduced. I didn’t want to feel like I was scrounging at the end of the quarter to find a model in the spec I wanted with the deepest discount. Granted, base with white interior is pretty darn popular and should be easy to obtain.

With recent “outages” on Tesla-Info, multiple rows showing what I believe are the same car in different states, and cars continuing to show on Tesla-info after they’ve been sold, I have no idea of the accuracy of this data. Add that this is WORLDWIDE data too. However, I do believe it is capable of showing some trends in the data. I’d be lying if I felt confident in the data when I bought two days ago with only on drop for M3 shown, but now I see two more drops for M3. MY has only a single drop in inventory which probably corresponds to its new discounts. But it’s peak is notably high. There’s less risk for Tesla in producing lots of MY as it does not predict a drop in federal incentive or have a refresh coming. This should be great news for MY buyers, maybe even somehow getting POS federal incentive in January instead of waiting for tax season.

But for M3 buyers not willing to consider 2024, I’m thinking it may be time to find your car. That’s my opinion. For December buyer’s sake, I hope prices come down more. For my sake and my car’s value I hope we hit rock-bottom prices. Will another $1000 make people buy? Watch the inventory numbers.

38758C9D-0C38-4982-A843-45377DC6F5B1.png

9A3D534A-9021-4EF4-B828-580CD37A10B5.png

E3091268-6816-4F56-B4FC-A48FE391BC19.png

Reactions: Nissanman and Mayer
713 MS, 567 MX, 2097 M3, 4619 MY

From Tesla-info. Slow decline of M3? Huge boost in MY. Well, actually each has gone the other way in the last day. Little decline in MY and little increase in M3, at least globally. I’m seeing more of the lowest-price cars without seeing any new lows.

151A4EBD-D7DE-4418-A836-BDAFE19FD25C.png

08561233-920D-4F16-A86B-FF526F1515C0.png