Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OD: 1/12
MYLR white/black, all standard.

Delivery day #1 (1/27):
Rejected delivery of an Austin build. For the main issues, there was an uneven panel above the rear wheel along the driver side that was sticking out the side of the vehicle, there were scratches all over the rear bumper cover, scratches/bubbles/chips/missed spots and paint transfer (blue and black) along various spots on the body (but mostly the rear), excessive bumps along the rubber trim of both passenger doors, the driver-side plastic molding along the door edge was almost completely popped off, and there were various stains/scratches/flakes along the black interior of the seats.

According to my SA, the driver-side plastic door molding could be popped back in, and the bumps along the rubber trim was “normal” (even though it was only present on one side of the car). The panel that was sticking out would need evaluated to see if the defect was “in spec” or not, but for sure the exterior body would need sanded, sandblasted, and repainted, the rear bumper replaced, the protruding panel likely replaced (because it is cheaper to replace than repair), and the interior cleaned up, as he thought the seat issues were factory adhesive that was spread all over the place. The vehicle would need at least a week in a body shop for the paint issues, and then more time to have a Tesla tech take care of the panel and bumper, and a day for the interior cleaning…so maybe two weeks?

Also true to an Austin build, the doors were really hard to shut properly. Not an issue, just an observation.

I expected at least one issue, but all of those together were just too much for me to accept. It was almost like buying a really used car that had been in an accident, but the body shop did a bad repair job, and had dogs that ran freely along the interior scratching things up.

VIN is being released, and it will likely be a few weeks (at least) before I can get another one due to current demand. My SA did say they are rushing these things like crazy at the factory, so the issues I experienced are not really surprising.

Today I also learned:
- When rejecting a vehicle after paying cash for it, it can take upto 8 weeks to get your money back
- Also when rejecting, your initial order is put on “hold” automatically until a new VIN is acquired. You only get one “hold” status per order. After that, you MUST accept the second VIN/vehicle, or your order WILL automatically be canceled, no matter the condition of that vehicle. Tesla at that point considers it has made every possible effort to fulfill the order.

Delivery day #1 (1/27):
Rejected delivery of an Austin build. For the main issues, there was an uneven panel above the rear wheel along the driver side that was sticking out the side of the vehicle, there were scratches all over the rear bumper cover, scratches/bubbles/chips/missed spots and paint transfer (blue and black) along various spots on the body (but mostly the rear), excessive bumps along the rubber trim of both passenger doors, the driver-side plastic molding along the door edge was almost completely popped off, and there were various stains/scratches/flakes along the black interior of the seats.

According to my SA, the driver-side plastic door molding could be popped back in, and the bumps along the rubber trim was “normal” (even though it was only present on one side of the car). The panel that was sticking out would need evaluated to see if the defect was “in spec” or not, but for sure the exterior body would need sanded, sandblasted, and repainted, the rear bumper replaced, the protruding panel likely replaced (because it is cheaper to replace than repair), and the interior cleaned up, as he thought the seat issues were factory adhesive that was spread all over the place. The vehicle would need at least a week in a body shop for the paint issues, and then more time to have a Tesla tech take care of the panel and bumper, and a day for the interior cleaning…so maybe two weeks?

Also true to an Austin build, the doors were really hard to shut properly. Not an issue, just an observation.

I expected at least one issue, but all of those together were just too much for me to accept. It was almost like buying a really used car that had been in an accident, but the body shop did a bad repair job, and had dogs that ran freely along the interior scratching things up.

VIN is being released, and it will likely be a few weeks (at least) before I can get another one due to current demand. My SA did say they are rushing these things like crazy at the factory, so the issues I experienced are not really surprising.

Today I also learned:
- When rejecting a vehicle after paying cash for it, it can take upto 8 weeks to get your money back
- Also when rejecting, your initial order is put on “hold” automatically until a new VIN is acquired. You only get one “hold” status per order. After that, you MUST accept the second VIN/vehicle, or your order WILL automatically be canceled, no matter the condition of that vehicle. Tesla at that point considers it has made every possible effort to fulfill the order.

Don’t they inspect when it’s received by the service center

Delivery day #1 (1/27):

Today I also learned:
Oh man, I am so sorry dude! This sucks! After waiting, going through the excitement and the impatient phase, you get a car like that. It would be such a disappointment. Hopefully you have a new VIN soon and a good quality car too!

This info is just a guess! But it looks like most of the individuals who had a EDD of 1/26 to 1/29 got their VIN sometime today or yesterday.

So I am assuming anyone who has a EDD of 2/3 to 2/5 should get their VIN by next Friday. Maybe....

Delivery day #1 (1/27):

Today I also learned:
Whoa man that's awful, I hope your new VIN is perfect and ready soon. Where are you located? Can you tell us that VIN we can we all blacklist it? Lol.

This info is just a guess! But it looks like most of the individuals who had a EDD of 1/26 to 1/29 got their VIN sometime today or yesterday.

So I am assuming anyone who has a EDD of 2/3 to 2/5 should get their VIN by next Friday. Maybe....
I have an EDD of 1/29-2/12 no VIN yet. (Hoping it comes soon so i can stop incessantly hitting refresh) Did find out my MYLR/Deep Blues/Black/19" is being fulfilled direct from the Fremont factory.

My SA said the built date is 12/31. I asked him if it’s a rejected vehicle. He answered it’s not and it’s just sitting in the Bay Area for a few weeks. Should I be concerned about it?
How come a vehicle has been sitting for a month amid such high demand. Has to be a rejected vehicle. Make sure to inspect well before accepting delivery.

So far, so good. Wife did the walk through with me. So it passed her 'eye test' as well. If we missed something, I expect it'll be minor. Wall charger and Super Liner mats arrived this afternoon.
Super Liner Mats, are those the ones Tesla sell on their website? I've heard that aftermarket ones were better but I like how deep black the ones on Tesla's Shop page appear. Also, how long did it take to receive your wall charger? I'm about to order mine this weekend

Delivery day #1 (1/27):

Today I also learned:
Am wondering if this car would then go into Tesla’s inventory list of available cars or would they go to a repair shop to get these items fixed? I chatted with an agent today about that and she said they are not rejects but I wouldn’t be at all be surprised. This is the main reason for me not hitting on the order button last night when I saw a 7 seater available last night, especially at this point in time.

My SA said the built date is 12/31. I asked him if it’s a rejected vehicle. He answered it’s not and it’s just sitting in the Bay Area for a few weeks. Should I be concerned about it?
That is weird considering the high demand. My guess is it was a reject but maybe all the issues were repaired. I recommend just doing a solid inspection of it and hopefully everything is all good!

Reactions: RUDeac