Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I strongly advise checking the part number. Hubbell makes two different grades of NEMA 14-50 receptacles - one is top-quality; the other is no better than the $10 Levitons.
Relax. It's Hubbell, and the distributor doesn't carry Home Depot goods.
It's been working for almost 2 years never with any heat buildup whatsoever. I'm not gonna dig up the receipt from the tax records, thank you very much.
BSEE degree says it's all good.

Relax. It's Hubbell, and the distributor doesn't carry Home Depot goods.
It's been working for almost 2 years never with any heat buildup whatsoever. I'm not gonna dig up the receipt from the tax records, thank you very much.
BSEE degree says it's all good.
I've seen on this very forum where someone purchased a Hubbell NEMA 14-50 receptacle from a local electrical supply house and it was the RR450F and not the 9450A. Your credentials mean nothing to me - I've got a wall full of my own to appreciate. :)

One way to tell which one you have without digging up the receipt is to look at the housing. If 9450A is molded into it, then you're good. If not, then you have the residential-grade version.

WBP_HBL9450A_PRODIMAGE_1200 copy.jpg

I've seen on this very forum where someone purchased a Hubbell NEMA 14-50 receptacle from a local electrical supply house and it was the RR450F and not the 9450A. Your credentials mean nothing to me - I've got a wall full of my own to appreciate. :)

One way to tell which one you have without digging up the receipt is to look at the housing. If 9450A is molded into it, then you're good. If not, then you have the residential-grade version.

View attachment 990599
Interesting. It also has an EV charging icon on it. Nice.

Reactions: vickh and zroger73

View attachment 990599
You're over-thinking it, but better safe than sorry, especially for this forum. As long as it's industrial grade, you're good.
Hubbell, Bryant, Cooper are all good. Home Depot Leviton - NFG.
The Mobile Connector I use it for delivers 32A and meets the need for full charging over night.
It's not doing the Wall Connector 48A capability, so it's not pushing any boundaries.

Reactions: vickh
You're over-thinking it, but better safe than sorry, especially for this forum. As long as it's industrial grade, you're good.
The Mobile Connector I use it for delivers 32A and meets the need for full charging over night.
It's not doing the Wall Connector 48A capability, so it's not pushing any boundaries.
Hubbell RR450F is NOT "industrial grade". Hubbell 9450A IS "industrial grade".

Hubbell and Bryant make both "good" and "NFG" NEMA 14-50 receptacles. It is important that you use the correct one for EV charging. The residential-grade Hubbell RR450F NEMA 14-50 receptacle is made in China using construction similar to "big box store" receptacles.

Continuous 48-amp loads aren't permitted on NEMA 14-50 receptacles and Tesla Wall Connectors are supposed to be hardwired and not used with plugs, anyway.

I strongly recommend walking out and looking at your Hubbell receptacle to make sure it says "9450A" on it.

I strongly advise checking the part number. Hubbell makes two different grades of NEMA 14-50 receptacles - one is top-quality; the other is no better than the $10 Levitons.

How do you feel about Home Depot Leviton @ 24A withThe Mobile Connector ?

I personally wouldn't use or recommend using that receptacle for any continuous loads such as EV charging regardless of amperage - not only because of its propensity to overheat even when used for long periods even below its current rating, but because of mechanical durability limits. This and similar receptacles were designed for intermittent-use appliances like ranges that get unplugged once every several years or decades when the appliance gets replaced. They were never designed to withstand the type of use typically associated with EV charging.

Some "cheap" receptacles are better than others. The Leviton 279-S00 sold at Home Depot is about a bad as they come for EV charging. One of the better "cheap" 14-50 receptacles is the Pass & Seymore Legrand 3894. Frustratingly, some 14-50 receptacles that are NOT "industrial grade" are actually described as "industrial grade" by the manufacturers - the Leviton 279-S00 is one of them. The $10 Utilitech from Lowe's is another example.

In the past, Tesla recommended the Hubbell 9450A and Cooper 5754N. I would not recommend the 5754N. The Bryant 9450FR is equivalent to the Hubbell 9450A (made in the same factory to the same specifications with the same materials, but sold under two different brand names). The 9450FR is available for under $50 at Grainger. There's no need to spend twice as much on a Hubbell 9450A that is identical to the Bryant 9450FR other than branding. the 9450A and 9450FR are true "industrial grade" receptacles. But, again, be careful which Hubbell or Bryant you buy because both brands offer two different grades of 14-50 receptacles - one is suitable for EV charging while the other is not.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and DblOSmith
I personally wouldn't use or recommend using that receptacle for any continuous loads such as EV charging regardless of amperage - not only because of its propensity to overheat even when used for long periods even below its current rating, but because of mechanical durability limits. This and similar receptacles were designed for intermittent-use appliances like ranges that get unplugged once every several years or decades when the appliance gets replaced. They were never designed to withstand the type of use typically associated with EV charging.

I have an EVSE with a plug. I think I may only have unplugged it once, very briefly for a reason I can't remember, in 3 years of ownership. I doubt many people frequently unplug their EVSEs due to the inconvenience.

absolutely not. remember that the Mobile Connector draws 32A of continuous load.
look at the construction of that receptacle, especially the wire binding terminals and minimal material surrounding them.

again, an industrial grade connector is needed, because EV charging is a continuous load, where things like electric dryers cycle power on and off over the period of use.
these receptacles use bakelite and similar heat resistant materials, have solid wire binding terminals (which typically specify a torque value for proper wire binding), and lots of material between those terminal points.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Hubbell RR450F is NOT "industrial grade". Hubbell 9450A IS "industrial grade".

Hubbell and Bryant make both "good" and "NFG" NEMA 14-50 receptacles. It is important that you use the correct one for EV charging. The residential-grade Hubbell RR450F NEMA 14-50 receptacle is made in China using construction similar to "big box store" receptacles.

Continuous 48-amp loads aren't permitted on NEMA 14-50 receptacles and Tesla Wall Connectors are supposed to be hardwired and not used with plugs, anyway.

I strongly recommend walking out and looking at your Hubbell receptacle to make sure it says "9450A" on it.
I'm on a Mobile Connector, 32A max, and a proper receptacle..

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73