Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I read 11th digit “F” or “A”
The 11th digit is your plant of manufacturer (F is Fremont, A is Austin). The 8th digit is your motor/drive unit; E is what's typically associated with Long Range while F is Performance. Some Austin VINs seem to have an F in the 8th digit even though it's a LR model. They looked at the rear motor and noticed the motor placard indicated a 4D1 motor which indeed is the new hairpin motor for Performance models. All the ones who reported this (only 3 so far) were Austin LR models built in December. The working theory is that Austin either received or are receiving the new motors and since Austin doesn't produce Performance models they're putting them in LR models.

I have one with an F (came out of Austin, built December) and my insurance identifies it as a Model Y Performance even though it's an LR. They said it doesn't affect my rate though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 455dan
OK I was bored ...

Assuming the order SS Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker represents a correct or approximate correlation to the total number of orders on a specific date one can draw a few conclusions from the above chart.

PS How do I attach a pic? Attach file (jpeg, png, gif or pdf) don't work ...
2nd try - Image attached

Attachments

• Tesla OD 2023 (1).jpeg
    Tesla OD 2023 (1).jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 118
To my knowledge, there is not a single EV sold in US that would meet the critical battery components requirement. As its written, this requirement makes no common sense. Either remove the requirement or delay its enforcement until a realistic date -- perhaps 1/1/2024 would be realistic.
Been harping on about this for a while now in these forums, but there's more coming that most people haven't started focusing on yet. I keep coming back to this little tidbit in the IRA text

1676056488568.png

Starting 1/1/2024, also when the point-of-sale credit comes into effect, a vehicle will no longer be defined as a 'new clean vehicle' and will be excluded from the credit entirely if it contains any battery components from China, Russia, North Korea, or Iran,

Starting 1/1/2025, that same exclusion will apply to vehicles with batteries containing any critical minerals from those foreign entities of concern.

If this is being interpreted correctly, the numbers of vehicles qualifying will likely be cut drastically at the start of 2024 and then producing vehicles in 2025 without graphite, lithium, cobalt, etc etc from China or North Korea... I don't think that will even be possible. China and North Korea together control like 90% of global graphite production.

Been harping on about this for a while now in these forums, but there's more coming that most people haven't started focusing on yet. I keep coming back to this little tidbit in the IRA text

View attachment 905828
Starting 1/1/2024, also when the point-of-sale credit comes into effect, a vehicle will no longer be defined as a 'new clean vehicle' and will be excluded from the credit entirely if it contains any battery components from China, Russia, North Korea, or Iran,

Starting 1/1/2025, that same exclusion will apply to vehicles with batteries containing any critical minerals from those foreign entities of concern.

If this is being interpreted correctly, the numbers of vehicles qualifying will likely be cut drastically at the start of 2024 and then producing vehicles in 2025 without graphite, lithium, cobalt, etc etc from China or North Korea... I don't think that will even be possible. China and North Korea together control like 90% of global graphite production.

Real simple, every manufacture does this.

China produces product. China sells product to Thailand. Thailand then turns it around and mark it "Manufactured in Thailand". Thailand then sells it to American Corporations. American Consumer buys product and gets Tax Credit.

It's like when you go to a grocery store and your buy Organic Produce but grown outside of the US. Is it really Organic???

Looked through ~5 pages of this thread (not consecutively)... Tesla has a slight problem with their EDD algorithm to say the least :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.21.43 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.21.43 AM.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.21.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.21.59 AM.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.22.46 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.22.46 AM.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.23.46 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.23.46 AM.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.26.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.26.28 AM.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 77
OK, this is crazy! So, tonight at 10:00 PM, I finally got my VIN (Fremont). This is after my bad news post earlier this evening. I have not
received a text or email, but the VIN is showing on the Tesla App. Estimated Delivery Feb 12 - Feb 19. (OD 1/13, White/Black/20") :)
So, I finally received the email/text at 7:00 AM(PST) this morning letting me know I have a VIN assigned(even though I saw it on app last night). Registered my insurance and received my "Schedule" text at 9:01 AM. Delivery is schedule for Feb 16th. Birthday was 2/8/23 at 20:37:46. I asked about Matrix, but they were not sure.

Reactions: Ray_R and 455dan
Real simple, every manufacture does this.

China produces product. China sells product to Thailand. Thailand then turns it around and mark it "Manufactured in Thailand". Thailand then sells it to American Corporations. American Consumer buys product and gets Tax Credit.

It's like when you go to a grocery store and your buy Organic Produce but grown outside of the US. Is it really Organic???
Part of what's being worked on right now is setting up tracking for all this stuff. But when two foreign entities of concern control 90% of production of something, it'll be pretty obvious. They'll be consulting with experts in the mining industry, battery experts, other countries, and all that -- we ain't talking about organic produce here, we're talking about billions of dollars of batteries where taxpayer money will not be used to subsidize further monopolization of the battery supply chain by unfriendly countries.

We need this stuff on our shores and those of our allies, that's the main point and it's a great opportunity for us.

Reactions: YisPatHere
Part of what's being worked on right now is setting up tracking for all this stuff. But when two foreign entities of concern control 90% of production of something, it'll be pretty obvious. They'll be consulting with experts in the mining industry, battery experts, other countries, and all that -- we ain't talking about organic produce here, we're talking about billions of dollars of batteries where taxpayer money will not be used to subsidize further monopolization of the battery supply chain by unfriendly countries.

You can't track source of origin by paper, especially from manufacturing from overseas. unless the GOVT will (Laboratory) test each shipment of raw materials. Who knows how long that would take.

You can't track source of origin by paper, especially from manufacturing from overseas. unless the GOVT will (Laboratory) test each shipment of raw materials. Who knows how long that would take.
Batteries need to be manufactured domestically or in countries with free-trade agreements to qualify in the first place, and the burden of proof will be on manufacturers in order for each battery to qualify for the incentive both in terms of percentages and not containing components/minerals from foreign entities of concern.

For people getting Austin VINs (or even Fremont) for the Model Y LR, is anyone's 8th digit of the VIN F (indicates performance motor)? There's another thread here where it was found out that some 2023 Model Y LR models are coming with the 4D1 rear motor (new hairpin motor for performance models). There's only been a few people who responded in that thread and it seems everyone who had an F were Austin built Model Y LR in December. Wondering if there are examples of vehicles built after that date with F in the VIN.
That Is really Neat, Would be happy if my MYLR comes with a 4D1 motor.

Will definitely check when it arrives.

Thanks for this post

For people getting Austin VINs (or even Fremont) for the Model Y LR, is anyone's 8th digit of the VIN F (indicates performance motor)? There's another thread here where it was found out that some 2023 Model Y LR models are coming with the 4D1 rear motor (new hairpin motor for performance models). There's only been a few people who responded in that thread and it seems everyone who had an F were Austin built Model Y LR in December. Wondering if there are examples of vehicles built after that date with F in the VIN.
I actually noticed this for my friend's MY LR that we picked up a few weeks back (he did "Custom Order" on 1/14 and then Tesla assigned him a car from inventory a day later). Thought it was maybe a minor mistake but I guess it indicates what you're saying.

Despite their Model Y being LR and the logo not having the underline which indicates Performance model, the 8th digit of the VIN is an "F" (11th digit is an "A" so his is an Austin build).