Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to conduct some research (out of curiosity).

For those who ordered after 1/19, what caused you to delay ordering soon after the 1/13 price decrease ?
For me it was mostly the finding-new-car fatigue from last year and time needed to do the research.

I have been driving a beat up 25 year old (!!) Toyota van, but luckily I don't drive much as I work from home. I started looking for a replacement early last year, was open to both ICE and EV's. Model Y was above what I wanted to spend on a new car, but I did take a note of it's supposed bumpy-ride. Coming from a minivan, I wanted the new car to have nice ride quality. Spent weeks doing the research and tried to get a RAV 4 Prime. Spent weeks/months looking for one, but dealers wanted 8K over MSRP or the waiting list was literally years out. Then looked at ID 4 briefly, but by the time I tried to get one, it had a long waiting list as well (with dealers who did not mark up). So I just gave up and decided to wait for whatever "supply chain issues" causing mark-ups to go away so I could get a car without mark-ups.

When Tesla cut prices, I didn't even consider putting in a order as the supposed bumpy-ride scared me away. Yes, I know I should've done a test drive to decide the ride quality myself instead of going by others' take on the ride quality. But it did prompt me to re-start my research for a new car, eventually I found information (posts, videos) about the "comfort-suspension" for Model Y. ICE/Other brand Dealers still had their 8K mark-ups. So I finally put in a new order on 1/23.

I took my delivery yesterday at the SC in Lawrence, NJ.
We arrived half an hour earlier and the car was parked right in front of the entrance. We checked around it and almost immediately concluded that we wanted it. I didn't feel to pull out the comprehensive checklist I had spent time on. As people are saying here, it's the first time for me to have such a list after buying quite a few cars. My wife didn't remember that we did much inspection at all on the current cars. We actually check rental cars more carefully than our new cars.
I asked a guy to unlock the car so we can check the interior. He was very cooperative and agreed right away. Again, everything was nice in the car too.
We only found two things, a wider gap on on side of the rear lights and the rocker was not flush on the driver's side. The delivery guy told us to note them in a ticket. We handed out the check and accepted the car in about 40 minutes.
On the way back, I noticed some high-frequency noise at speed over 50 MPH, when I press acceleration. It's not obvious at all, while I could hear it if I turn off the music. I wouldn't have paid attention to that at all if I hadn't read the feedbacks from @3YMimi73 . Thank you! I will definitely include it on the ticket.
Overall, I would think it's a good experience. I was actually pretty nervous after hearing the unpleasant stories here. I told my wife that I felt going to an exam when we were heading to the SC. Everything turned out OK.
The J1772 adapter and front plate mount were in the trunk. I also confirmed the matrix headlights. We did light show at home of course :)
My OD was 1/14 morning. The car is Fremont made, on 1/28.
Good luck, everyone!
You’re Welcome!

I’m thankful that the 23 MY doesn’t make the noise. That’s the first thing I listened for once we were on the highway headed home. I hear some noise but I’m sure it’s just the motors doing their thing. It’s definitely not nails on chalkboard like it was in the 22 MY. Hopefully everything works out for you 😊

Reactions: NJ08809
why can't i modify my order under the reservation number anymore? there's no Edit Configuration button anymore. can someone confirm i have to call it in for Tesla to reset/unlock my configuration for that button to appear under my reservation?
On mine it shows up as "Edit Design" and is underneath the "To cancel your order" line..

HTML:
https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RNxxxxxxxxx

Reactions: stlgrym3
The really fun thing is when you get back into an ICE vehicle after a few weeks and take your foot off the pedal. It feels like it is speeding up. I am so glad my street has stop sign at the end to remind me.
My M3 locks when I walk away and I can not open it without the phone. Double check that you have the walk away lock or what ever setting set. It could be the car is just folding the side views etc, but not locking the car. You can also check in the app inside the house if the car is locked before heading out to check.
Or when your used to driving a Tesla and then have to drive the pickup towing a camper 😳
That takes some skills 😂

• Funny
Reactions: erktrek
do you have to click "To cancel your order" first for the "Edit Design" to show up?
Uh no I wouldn't anything like that... 😱

This is what I see on the webpage.. maybe I'm missing something?

torder (Phone).png

Also make sure you didn't get logged out inadvertently..

edit: @kfc2 brings up a great point about financing versus paying cash (see their post below)..

Last edited:
My cousin took the delivery in Austin TX at the Research Blvd location. (MYLR, White/Black, 19"wheels which is Austin build). No build quality issues and everything looks great. No Matrix but it does have the cargo cover. Seemless experience, all went great. There where tons of cars being delivered and lots of folks driving them away (meaning no one was seeing any major issues that are usually highlighted on this board). Which made me think, if all Model Ys being delivered had issues, then this board will be like 10,000 pages long. Anyway, she is very happy because to her the ride quality is great and she did not hear any excessive noise while driving back.