Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR Blue/Black/19’s
OOD 1/23
Edd - Jan-march
Feb EDD - 3/10 - 3/31
Last week of Feb EDD - 3/14 - 3/3
SoCal

Still no txt for VIN assignment
Still no txt regarding anything, it’s like I’m being ghosted?

Anyone else in similar situation with same build?
You are slightly better off, mine is even worse. OD 1/17, blue/white 19". no VIN text, EDD pushed to 3/27 - 3/31.

• Informative
Reactions: chobra
Teslas are a relatively rare sight in the sea of gasoline and diesel-powered full-size pickup trucks and SUVs in rural Northeast Texas where I live.

My county has just over 124,000 residents. There are only 225 EVs here - 32 of those are Model Ys. I saw two Model Ys this past week and both were white with 20" wheels - just like the one I ordered.

This report from 2009 states the manufacturing cost of an aluminum wheel was around $50 each. Size, complexity, and finish will obviously have some effect on this cost, but there shouldn't be a huge difference in cost between a Gemini wheel and an Induction wheel in terms of manufacturing cost. The 20" wheel has a bit more material and a different finish, but doesn't have the added cost of a plastic cover. If the Gemini wheels cost Tesla ~$75 each, the Induction wheels may cost about $80-85. There's nothing fundamentally unique about a Tesla wheel that would make it more expensive than any other aluminum wheel. Based on Model Y production, Tesla or their supplier(s) are making thousands of these wheels every day.

So, Tesla might pay $500 for set of 19" wheels and tires or $560 for a set of 20" wheels and tires, but they charge $2,000 for something that costs them $60 more making them hugely profitable.
Those 20 inch tires are more expensive. Of course, that option is profitable. Just like the red paint does not cost Tesla $2K more than white. Not too long ago, the black color on the model S was standard, and white was a $1K option. And MSM on the Y wss standard.

In the Bay Area, Tesla's are easily the most common new car. It seems like we are getting our deliveries later in the quarter than everywhere else. I ordered on 1/17, the basic version, and no VIN yet. I am 100% sure that it is ready for delivery before 3/31.

Yo! Good morning.

Why do posters not post the entire VIN number. What personal information are they protecting?

I spoke to a SA yesterday about charging cables/adapters. He stated that no cable or adapters come with the car. Is this true?

I am in the process of running a 60 amp line out to our detached garage. Do most people buy two charging cables keeping one in the garage and one in the trunk? Or when unplugging from the garage receptacle throwing it into the car for taht "just in case" one needs it?

Thanks in advance for the info/advice.

Yo! Good morning.

Why do posters not post the entire VIN number. What personal information are they protecting?

I spoke to a SA yesterday about charging cables/adapters. He stated that no cable or adapters come with the car. Is this true?

I am in the process of running a 60 amp line out to our detached garage. Do most people buy two charging cables keeping one in the garage and one in the trunk? Or when unplugging from the garage receptacle throwing it into the car for taht "just in case" one needs it?

Hi, in terms of charging cable, your SA is correct - none is provided except for a J1772 adaptor that will help if you want to use a non-Tesla charging station. As for my case, I did order a wall connector and a mobile connector (Tesla used to provide the mobile connector with new vehicles, but no more!).

Reactions: Yomanjm and erktrek
Picking up in Brandon, MS tomorrow afternoon (MYLR5, OD: 1/30, MSM, black, 19, no extras, Austin build). A little weirded out because on Sunday (3/5) they pushed me from late March to late April/May, then out of nowhere on Tuesday I received a VIN and then delivery appointment. Also, I also texted the 510 number to ask the build date, but they "do not have that information." Isn't that something people are usually able to get from them?

I'm trying to keep an open mind that it's not a reject.
They did the same exact thing to me... 3/7 pushed me from late Mar to late May, and the very next day I got my VIN so my car was being built as they pushed my EDD to May. My SA confirmed for me it was built 3/7 so not sure why yours couldn't tell you unless they didn't want to bother. Picking mine up 3/16.

Yo! Good morning.

I can't think of any reason why not to give the whole vin or at least up to the last 2-3 numbers... Once they're registered in the buyers home state, and address and other personal info can be found by a VIN lookup (just like a registration check). THey use VIN lookups for stolen vehicles with stolen plates. (former state LEO here)

No charging cables come with it anymore. I believe that changed some time in 2022. Their reasoning was supposedly Elon said very few people use them. I bought the mobile one to keep in the car for emergency/travel. And bought the wall charger and wired that up in the carport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yomanjm and erktrek
If I recall correctly, you're the folks who had a hard deadline as you all are heading back to Maine soon. Congratulations on this reported progress. On the other hand, I can't help but feel a little jaded that my earlier order was bypassed. In any case, happy and safe travels.
Thanks Robert. I can't believe you ordered a plain Jane and don't have a VIN yet. My friend who's had a Tesla for several years says they go nuts near quarter end and even the janitors are moving cars to get them onto transports. A couple youtubers have implied the same, so hopefully you'll hear something soon.

What are the benefits to an Austin build these days?

Chuck Norris provides his seal of approval on each Austin build

pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Thanks @erktek I appreciate it. It might be a different kind of birthday this year. Just went in for my 1st chemo treatment. Have had cancer since 2017. Great surgery results then, but it's coming back again, two courses of radiation. I won't go into much detail but this next process is going to take 18 weeks. Feeling ok right now only had a scare when I had an allergic reaction to the stuff they were giving me. Thankfully they caught it in time, but shot me up with 50 mg of benedrin. Unlike pill form this really hits you fast, so I was more than a little drowsey. Not looking for sympathy, just indicating how trivial a car really is in comparison.
That does put things in perspective quickly. I hope it all goes well for you. I know you said you weren't looking for sympathy. I had a zipper installed in my chest in 2012 and have a cow valve put in place of my aortic valve and dealt with prostate cancer in 2019. So yeah, this waiting game really pales in comparison. On the upside, I did read a post a page or two back of someone from PA going to a service center and saying every single parking spot was full of new Teslas, so hopefully yours will be there soon. I do think there will be a massive Q1 rush to get things out to keep the stockholders at bay.

Best of luck to you with your health and getting your new ride.

Is the Tesla insurance quote the monthly fee or the cost for the entire 6 months? The number I see is way too high for the monthly cost but is also way too cheap to be the full 6 months. Couldn't find anywhere that stated what the cost is, all it says is your premium is $XXX

Yo! Good morning.

I bought only the mobile connector and installed a nema plug in the garage. Gives me a charge rate of 30miles per hour. Serves my need.
The car comes with j1772 connector.

So sad to see so many seven seaters in Raleigh area sitting in inventory. You order something, chef gives something else ;)

FanboyNC (Reddit guru;)), what does Reddit say - changing to black interior pulls back EDD?. Tired of waiting with no real date.
:) from what I've seen, white interiors are getting jacked big time. Moving to black will most certainly improve your timeline. However, in your case your EDD is quite far out. Who knows by the time we get there, black would be in shortage and white would be on the production lines. What I've seen for people with closer EDD dates (and a very early OD) is, a change from white to black has improved their EDDs, if not for a VIN assignment.

Reactions: Amhappy