Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are indeed fortunate and blessed! If the MYs lose 50% ($3750) of tax credit on 4/1, I will feel that I got the performance upgrade practically for free.

Many view the MY LR as the value play. I was in that camp. However, when I took a closer look at what the MY P includes, I think it represents a greater value.
  • Tesla charges $2250 more 21" wheels/tire combo over the 19s.
  • Acceleration boost costs $2000 for LR (nice, but still doesn't get you MYP's performance)
  • Spoiler ($800)
  • Upgraded suspension (cost?)
  • Upgraded brakes (cost?)
  • Aluminum pedals ($75?)
  • Resale value (?)
As others have reported, the 2023 MYP's ride comfort has greatly improved. Maybe its not as much of a disadvantage as it once was.

Now the wheels - yea, they are gorgeous as hell, but potential curbing and the cost of tires. It's going to be painful.

The 2023 MYP has a different suspension that other MY models? I realize its lower.... is that what you mean?

Are there anybody has similar situation like me in the BayArea San Jose?
OD:1/14 bu no VIN yet.
MYLR White/Black/5seater add tow hitch
OD:1/14
EDD:3/23~3/31.
Northern CA, especially Bay Area near the Fremont Factory seems slow delivery and EDD keep pushing forward.

We are indeed fortunate and blessed! If the MYs lose 50% ($3750) of tax credit on 4/1, I will feel that I got the performance upgrade practically for free.

Many view the MY LR as the value play. I was in that camp. However, when I took a closer look at what the MY P includes, I think it represents a greater value.
  • Acceleration boost costs $2000 for LR (nice, but still doesn't get you MYP's performance)
  • Spoiler ($800)
  • Aluminum pedals ($75?)
  • Resale value (?)
As others have reported, the 2023 MYP's ride comfort has greatly improved. Maybe its not as much of a disadvantage as it once was.

Now the wheels - yea, they are gorgeous as hell, but potential curbing and the cost of tires. It's going to be painful.
Glad it worked for you! For me, the problem is that in MA you go over the $55K limit for the state rebate. So in practice, it is $7.5K extra for nice/no need extras. And it makes me mad that you need to spend more to get ahead of the line. So, trying to keep calm and wait.

Reactions: PapaGeo
Glad it worked for you! For me, the problem is that in MA you go over the $55K limit for the state rebate. So in practice, it is $7.5K extra for nice/no need extras. And it makes me mad that you need to spend more to get ahead of the line. So, trying to keep calm and wait.
If I were in your shoes, I would feel the same frustration as you. That is a significant amount of money at stake.

• Spoiler ($800)
  • Aluminum pedals ($75?)
  • Resale value (?)

From the outset, I thought the same, but the state $3500 Tax Credit eligibility of $55k forced my hand even more than the Fed Rebate. IMHO you got the best deal in terms of MSRP. I have a delivery time for my MYLR MSM next Monday turns out only 3 days later than the original EDD range. Doesnt sound so bad after the fact. They just put a heck of a scare into me though throughout the waiting process!

The 2023 MYP has a different suspension that other MY models? I realize its lower.... is that what you mean?
There are several videos on Youtube which detail/compare the suspension components between the 2023 and earlier years. I really can't speak to the difference between the LR and P models. But many report that the 2023 suspension changes in the P have definitely dampened the ride, especially at slow speeds.

From the outset, I thought the same, but the state $3500 Tax Credit eligibility of $55k forced my hand even more than the Fed Rebate. IMHO you got the best deal in terms of MSRP. I have a delivery time for my MYLR MSM next Monday turns out only 3 days later than the original EDD range. Doesnt sound so bad after the fact. They just put a heck of a scare into me though throughout the waiting process!
What a relief! Great to hear of another happy ending. I hope there are many more to come.

Reactions: 455dan
Probably worth the wait then.

In our state they penalize you for buying electric, for road use and offer no incentives.
when I title the MYP it will have an addition of $140 registration and of course sales tax. That $140 will be charged Each year in addition to regular registration.

Reactions: groenqueen

In our state they penalize you for buying electric, for road use and offer no incentives.
when I title the MYP it will have an addition of $140 registration and of course sales tax. That $140 will be charged Each year in addition to regular registration.
Interesting that Idaho has that additional $140 fee. Interestingly enough, Vermont of all places is currently looking at doing the same thing. Why? Because a significant percentage of people have flipped to Hybrid and/or EV. As a result the state is seeing dwindling gas sales which means less gas tax revenue. Roads still need maintenance. Go figure....

Reactions: HitchHiker71

So far Florida has not jumped on the "screw you for buying an electric car" bandwagon.

If this was already posted I apologize but I just saw this on Tesla's website

Screenshot 2023-03-23 110159.png

As always, do you or own research, grain of salt, etc. - but here's more (possibly useless o_O) speculation about the forthcoming guidance .

- In Notice 2023-1 the IRS said they intend to issue proposed regulations for the new battery requirements. As noted in my prior posting, proposed regs require review by OMB - so I've been watching the OMB dashboard to see when the Proposed Regs are submitted to them for review.

- In light of the IRS now saying the guidance will be released next week, I dug a little deeper to see if it this HAS to be in the form of proposed regulations, vs other guidance such as an IRS Notice - which would not require OMB review. Per the IRS white paper: "Pursuant to the statutory rules in the Inflation Reduction Act, the critical mineral and battery component requirements apply to vehicles placed in service after Treasury and the IRS issue proposed guidance on these requirements."

- The IRA says the following about the guidance (which was supposed to have been issued by 12/31/22): "The Secretary shall issue such regulations or other guidance as the Secretary determines necessary or appropriate to carry out the purposes of this subsection . . . . "

So now that IRS has said this is coming out next week, maybe they are planning to issue another Notice (or other form of guidance) that will not require OMB review. Looks like we will find out by next Friday.

• Spoiler ($800)
  • Aluminum pedals ($75?)
  • Resale value (?)

I see the joy of a 6 year old receiving a "toy" in your tone and tenor!!! I'm happy for you man.. Enjoy the performance of the performance. Ride her until she/you last(s). :)

Beginning in 2023, alternative fuel vehicles lost the preferred AZ annual registration fee. Hence, the annual registration fee has more than doubled. First year is now over $1k.

Silver lining - the freeway system in AZ is some of the best conditioned roads that I have ever driven.

Anyone with a OD past 1/22 get a vin assigned?

Tried to call Tesla to see if they would price match on a demo car and they would not allow it on any existing inventory vehicle Car was gone before I could get in touch with someone else…😞
For regular MYLR, and non-inventory ones, there have been very few in this forum. @Mainuh is the only one I can think of. Recently, several Bay area folks near Fremont plant were assigned VINs.. those with OD as late as early March. I can't remember if I saw those in this forum or in reddit.

I would recommend going to the SC and talking to them/convincing them; even if it means spending some hours there negotiating/setting expectations. That's what I did.

Reactions: Mainuh and hp1234
For regular MYLR, and non-inventory ones, there have been very few in this forum. @Mainuh is the only one I can think of. Recently, several Bay area folks near Fremont plant were assigned VINs.. those with OD as late as early March. I can't remember if I saw those in this forum or in reddit.

I would recommend going to the SC and talking to them/convincing them; even if it means spending some hours there negotiating/setting expectations. That's what I did.
Vehicle is gone now from inventory. Was the one you got from inventory or they have a list that was not updated online?