Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new here and don't know how any of this works. Here's my question:

Next week I'm scheduled to take delivery of a MYLR in Lyndhurst. My build matches one of the cars that just showed up in the Lyndhurst inventory. I haven't made the final payment, so it hasn't technically been sold. Could it be that cars like mine are showing up but not actually available unless I cancel?
I don't think it works that way. Your VIN is yours.

Reactions: LetsGoElectric
I’m sure it will come very soon. I got the ‘we have made changes” in the app. No text whatsoever.
Thanks. Mine in the app is the same. I check account online and nothing.

I sent another text to 510 number but doubt they will help. Someone here just said they ordered my build but with tow and already has VIN. There has to be something wrong.

Last edited:

Next week I'm scheduled to take delivery of a MYLR in Lyndhurst. My build matches one of the cars that just showed up in the Lyndhurst inventory. I haven't made the final payment, so it hasn't technically been sold. Could it be that cars like mine are showing up but not actually available unless I cancel?
That's weird, I assume it should have matched you if same delivery location and config. Can you go to "Manage" order and do you see a blue button for Accelerated Delivery? If so, see if you can select that car.

EDIT - I glossed over the detail that you already had a VIN. So you're probably locked to that one, so the paperwork for registration, insurance can get started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avi_FL
I wish life were that easy 🤣

My son is going to flight school in AZ. We are driving from NY to AZ this Thursday. I am flying home the following week. He's been waiting much longer to go to flight school. Ahh the things we do for our kids. Seriously, I thought about changing my return flight but TESLA is so strict with their delivery windows that it wouldn't have mattered, kinda annoying. If I change his start date for flight school, it costs me $1000 to the school, so give and take I guess. I did have FREEMONT build which I was excited about. Let's see what 2 weeks gets me. (Tesla said they will put my account on hold for 2 weeks and the ATTEMPT to assign me a VIN after the hold expires).
Jeez, son's flight school vs your new MY haha yeah you're doing the right thing. A new toy is nothing to your son's future. At least that's what you should be telling yourself 😅

I think you got one of the cars @Skunis was complaining about seeing that match his build in Ohio, he's been waiting since January. But he's in NJ, so he's out of luck.

Reactions: LetsGoElectric
How does this insurance proof work? How can I add a car I do not own to my policy?

Yeah, I've been confused about that too, but the SA told me they coordinate it with the insurance co. I just uploaded my existing policy declarations page into the app for now, and hopefully that will be sufficient.

It might be possible for your insurance to generate a new policy document once you give them both VIN and confirmed delivery date.

How does this insurance proof work? How can I add a car I do not own to my policy?
First of all, congrats!. Second, relax.... I NEVER added insurance to my app and still got a deliver appointment text. Anyway, I did go online to Progressive and quote myself adding a new vehicle just for informational purposes. You have the vin so you should be able to go online to your insurance company and add the vehicle, but based on my experience wait until it gets closer to the appointment date. In my experience, you do NOT need to add insurance in order to book an appointment.

Once you get a date, go back to your insurance, add the vehicle with an effective date of XYZ, and then you should be able to get the proof of insurance document that you can upload.

If you are financing, your bank will need the "binder" showing them as a leinholder. My bank said, upload that and we will cut you a check.

Good luck.. take pictures!!

First of all, congrats!. Second, relax.... I NEVER added insurance to my app and still got a deliver appointment text. Anyway, I did go online to Progressive and quote myself adding a new vehicle just for informational purposes. You have the vin so you should be able to go online to your insurance company and add the vehicle, but based on my experience wait until it gets closer to the appointment date. In my experience, you do NOT need to add insurance in order to book an appointment.

Once you get a date, go back to your insurance, add the vehicle with an effective date of XYZ, and then you should be able to get the proof of insurance document that you can upload.

If you are financing, your bank will need the "binder" showing them as a leinholder. My bank said, upload that and we will cut you a check.

Good luck.. take pictures!!
I took a picture of my insurance card. Issue is that my policy renews in less than 60 days. Says I need proof of insurance for at least 60 days.

I took a picture of my insurance card. Issue is that my policy renews in less than 60 days. Says I need proof of insurance for at least 60 days.
Tesla app should tell you what you need. Varies by state. in NY it said must include VIN, owners name etc.... Maybe MASS is different. Either way, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Insurance does NOT need to be figured out tonight. Based on my experience, you have 2 weeks until delivery. 1 more week and you will be notified to make a delivery appointment. So whatever the app says to do, do it but take it with a grain of salt. They are likely following state guidelines and there is more than likely some kind of leeway. You arent the first person to buy a car within 60 days of their renewal period. it should work out. I mean this in the most comforting way :)