Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of the Tesla Backup Switch, the page says in California that PG&E is one of the utilities approving installation of the Backup Switch. Are there any firsthand experiences with it being used in PG&E territory? There's so little discussion of it in Powerwall installs in these forums, I think at least initially PG&E wasn't allowing it, but maybe that changed at some point.

It would greatly simplify whole home backup for both Powerwalls and in the future for Powershare, for the great many California homes that have the integrated meter socket/main panel combo boxes...

Reactions: Jones1 and Olle
Did I miss something? The document referenced states the maximum current is 200A, so it would seem to be something that lowers the cost (dramatically) of a Powerwall installation, rather than something expands it towards 400A.

Nice video, though.

All the best,

BG
No, I'm the one who missed something;), apologies for confusing everyone.

I see now BackupSwitch is max 200A, so it won't work in this case.

Reactions: Jones1
Speaking of the Tesla Backup Switch, the page says in California that PG&E is one of the utilities approving installation of the Backup Switch. Are there any firsthand experiences with it being used in PG&E territory? There's so little discussion of it in Powerwall installs in these forums, I think at least initially PG&E wasn't allowing it, but maybe that changed at some point.
Agree - Sure would like to see a high level electrical wiring diagram of a combo Backup Switch, Powerwall, Universal wall connector, solar system and Cybertruck V2H/V2G actual or proposed installation

New survey going out for the V2X installs:

1702680454398.png

Can someone who’s received this survey/in process of setting up, verify with Tesla whether we will need to upgrade the Tesla wall connector to the Universal wall connector in order to PowerShare? Also report back here please.

I already have powerwall/gateway so I think the answer is no, but I’m hoping for verification because the Tesla website is vague. Maybe this was already determined up thread? I’m not sure.

I have the universal wall connector in the box but may return if I don’t need it.

I already have powerwall/gateway so I think the answer is no, but I’m hoping for verification because the Tesla website is vague. Maybe this was already determined up thread? I’m not sure.

I have the universal wall connector in the box but may return if I don’t need it.
It isn't vague at all. If you have a Powerwall setup you only need a Wall Connector.

If you don't have a Powerwall you need the Universal Wall Connector to enable "dark start" capabilities.

Reactions: Olle
It isn't vague at all. If you have a Powerwall setup you only need a Wall Connector.

If you don't have a Powerwall you need the Universal Wall Connector to enable "dark start" capabilities.

Makes sense, thanks. Something else that would be great to know is whether PowerShare will support load shifting capability and vpp events. I don’t have a lot of grid outages but the utility cost savings would be a great perk.

I think arguments could be made on either side as to whether or not Tesla would enable these features. Anybody know yet?

Last edited:
lots of information to absorb but I still dont know how to proceed in my situation

I have SCE

Cybertruck ordered waiting for delivery

Home 100 amp panel

Solar City 5kw solar panels and inverters

No battery back up

I have a 50 amp circuit for use with my mobile power cod for home charging of my Model Y and Model 3

SCE power outages multiple times a month, last one last week 23 hours. my community has all its electrical lines underground

I have just had tesla Powerwall become available in my community

Had Tesla come out to assess my property

they recommended a one Powerwall setup as I have no more real-estate to install more solar

And to upgrade to a 200 amp panel. Which will be done by a subcontractor licensed by Tesla

Before they can start

Quote is for a Powerwall 2

My question, so if i proceed, I have a limited supply of power with one power wall

The cybertruck purchase includes the wall connector and a 4k install

Will this suplement my power needs for longer power outages?

Can i hook up my cybertruck when I need more power and then unhook to drive away

Can i keep the setup i have for charging now and add a second 50 amp for the Truck at a different location?

On survey I said the truck would be 15-30 feet away to charge

How would my particular set up look if I proceed with solar and powerwall upgrade prior to Cyber tuck delivery and then post power share set up?

Thank You Forum

• Funny
Reactions: cali8484 and Jones1
lots of information to absorb but I still dont know how to proceed in my situation

I have SCE

Home 100 amp panel

No battery back up

I have a 50 amp circuit for use with my mobile power cod for home charging of my Model Y and Model 3

SCE power outages multiple times a month, last one last week 23 hours. my community has all its electrical lines underground

they recommended a one Powerwall setup as I have no more real-estate to install more solar

And to upgrade to a 200 amp panel. Which will be done by a subcontractor licensed by Tesla

Before they can start

My question, so if i proceed, I have a limited supply of power with one power wall

Can i hook up my cybertruck when I need more power and then unhook to drive away

Can i keep the setup i have for charging now and add a second 50 amp for the Truck at a different location?

How would my particular set up look if I proceed with solar and powerwall upgrade prior to Cyber tuck delivery and then post power share set up?

Thank You Forum

I really feel and keep saying folks need to be realistic with this whole CT V2H/V2G stuff. No regular person has a CT yet. There has been zero working CT solutions supporting home anything. No one will be able to answer your questions of what you need to make everything work.

My advice early on and still is everyone needs to wait and just see. Don't buy anything because it's all rumor/plans/hope/dreams/etc.

Even on my Enphase system which has V2H integration slated for 2024, there is nothing I've read existing customers can use what's on the wall to make it all work, but they have videos showing working proof of concepts, etc and have been at it for a while now.

If you want to be the first, just go ahead with your CT purchase and check all the boxes/steps/throw all the $$ to make it work. There'll be a lot of problems/issues/etc, but that's to be expected for the earliest adopters.

I have SCE

Home 100 amp panel

No battery back up

Before they can start

Thank You Forum

1. From reports, the "4k install credit" is only for the top trim of the cybertruck, so is only relevant if you are buying the 99k version right now.

2. As much as I like my Tesla equipment, I dont think I wouldd want tesla to subcontract out a service upgrade on my behalf. If I wanted to do a service upgrade (or knew I needed to do that), I would handle that completely separate (and BEFORE) any discussion of powerwall add ons.

3. I think any planning around V2H and cybertruck should be put on the back burner till there are multiple documented installs of it, along with people detailing how it works in practice. For example, the Ford Lightning has this ability, but based on documented installs and videos of it by regular people who have paid the 10k ish it cost to install, its not even "1/2 baked" its "1/4 baked".

Unless one likes being an early adopter and paying for that, anyone looking at this would be better off waiting, like @sunwarriors said. The first installs are going to likely need a bunch of patience and handholding, and high touch customer service, and no matter what anyone thinks about Tesla (positive or negative), most would agree that "patience, handholding, and high touch customer service" are not their strong points, by design.

I notice Electrek saw your post.

Do we know how the new connectors communicate with the gateway to assure no grid backfeed? The powerwalls are hardwired to the comms connector even on the backup switch, right?
The Powershare Mobile Connector is just to provide outlet(s) directly from the Cybertruck, no Gateway involved. (V2L, Vehicle to Load support) This is in addition to the outlets already in the Cybertruck. It would never be connected to the grid.

The Gateway gets involved when you are trying to do V2H, Vehicle to Home, using a Tesla Wall Connector.

Makes sense, thanks. Something else that would be great to know is whether PowerShare will support load shifting capability and vpp events. I don’t have a lot of grid outages but the utility cost savings would be a great perk.

I think arguments could be made on either side as to whether or not Tesla would enable these features. Anybody know yet?
Per Lars in the Jay Leno video Powershare is only V2H, not V2G. So you could only manually load shift via islanding.

Reactions: pdx_m3s