Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re genset transfer: Only if they allow V2PW vs V2H. I can see technical reasons why they would keep PW in generation mode.
Along the same lines, I can see regulatory, and perhaps philosophical, reasons why they might not want to enable charging ITC solar/Powerwall equipment from a potentially non-renewable energy source...

(but what do I know?)

All the best,

BG

V2H would kind of be useless without V2PW. If powerwalls are empty, then house shuts down while you go find a charge. I don’t see any technical challenges to this, really not any different then mixing with solar or generator. That’s why I want to see demo of feature with powerwall.
I wish Tesla would make generator receptacle box, connected to can bus with a contactor. Charging on solar is no longer a tax credit issue.
If Cybertruck is connected, then the PW wouldn't drain.
Main issue I see is handling load transients and PW needing to go from charging to discharging. Alhough on rethink it already does this with solar, I was remembering tales of slow switchover from grid to island. Then there are the PoCo agreements which only allow PWs to charge from solar.

If Cybertruck is connected, then the PW wouldn't drain.
Main issue I see is handling load transients and PW needing to go from charging to discharging. Alhough on rethink it already does this with solar, I was remembering tales of slow switchover from grid to island. Then there are the PoCo agreements which only allow PWs to charge from solar.
Exactly with solar. I don’t have such an agreement with poco.
I’m interested to see how it behaves with large and small powerwall setups.
Then there are additional load panel back feed issues which will need to be resolved. For me, it seems possible to land the charger in my generation panel and the use load share with gateway to not overload gateway with house loads and charging loads. Seems like it needs approval to backfeed for each individual configuration…

Tesla Energy stopped today to view my home and electrical setup for Powerwall installation. I requested that the install is plug and play with my Cybertruck Powershare. I explained to them that my Foundation Series should be arriving Jan-March. Unfortunately Tesla Energy does not know anything about Powershare and really doesn't know what type of gateway is included or how it will work with Powerwall setups. The whole point of them coming out was to engineer a system that works fluidly, and they don't know any details right now. The plan is to wait and see when I get my truck to figure out what hardware I receive so they can plan Powerwall from there.

They hope that instead of me installing 4 Powerwalls, I can install 2 Powerwalls and plug in the truck to add the capacity of 5 more Powerwall. This would be ideal for me as well financially. Purchase bare minimum Powerwalls so that I have short term whole home backup. If long term capacity is needed I plug the truck into the system to utilize the battery as an expansion pack. However they are unclear how the Powershare will integrate or what hardware will be provided.

Very unfortunate as this is delaying a Powerwall purchase and the integration will likely not be as seamless as I had hoped.

• Informative
Reactions: fhteagle
Tesla Energy stopped today to view my home and electrical setup for Powerwall installation. I requested that the install is plug and play with my Cybertruck Powershare. I explained to them that my Foundation Series should be arriving Jan-March. Unfortunately Tesla Energy does not know anything about Powershare and really doesn't know what type of gateway is included or how it will work with Powerwall setups. The whole point of them coming out was to engineer a system that works fluidly, and they don't know any details right now. The plan is to wait and see when I get my truck to figure out what hardware I receive so they can plan Powerwall from there.

They hope that instead of me installing 4 Powerwalls, I can install 2 Powerwalls and plug in the truck to add the capacity of 5 more Powerwall. This would be ideal for me as well financially. Purchase bare minimum Powerwalls so that I have short term whole home backup. If long term capacity is needed I plug the truck into the system to utilize the battery as an expansion pack. However they are unclear how the Powershare will integrate or what hardware will be provided.

Very unfortunate as this is delaying a Powerwall purchase and the integration will likely not be as seamless as I had hoped.
The normal Powerwall, gateway, and UWC support Powershare. Since you are getting Gateway and UWC with Foundation, it makes sense to wait and not buy double hardware. Cybertruck has a lot of energy, but power output is the sane as a single PW.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit

Don't know why this is so expensive.
If you already have solar and inverter all you need to do is connect CT 400v battery to the inverter. This should be possible through the standard Tesla charging connector
If you don't have solar inverter, they only cost about $1000

Reactions: GatorMeat

If you already have solar and inverter all you need to do is connect CT 400v battery to the inverter. This should be possible through the standard Tesla charging connector
Powershare is home backup, not V2G.
But yes, Tesla vehicle packs can theoretically connect the PV inputs if you don't care about charging.

If your solar isn't using microinverters, and your solar inverter has an extra 11.5kW of capacity that is not being used, sure. But I would guess there are approximately 0 installs out there that meet those criteria.

Really? What kind 11.5kW solar inverter can you get for about $1000? What kind of quality is it?

If your solar isn't using microinverters, and your solar inverter has an extra 11.5kW of capacity that is not being used, sure. But I would guess there are approximately 0 installs out there that meet those criteria.

Really? What kind 11.5kW solar inverter can you get for about $1000? What kind of quality is it?
Just a quick GoogleIt gives me Growatt, PowMr, SunGold, PVinvt, EG4 and a bunch of others who have solar hybrid inverters in the 5000 to 10000 Watt range for about $1000.
I have two different solar hybrid inverters on my two houses here which will take 400v input, feed the grid and/or house. These are currently connected to solar strings but they could also be connected to 400v car batteries and be happy. These inverters are installed to feed excess solar to the grid and house and also provide backup power to the house in the case of grid failure. They have their own 48 volt batteries which could be recharged from the 400v car battery.
The CT Powershare should be able to provide 400v from the car battery to the inverters. Shouldn't even need a switch/gateway outside of the CT. Ideally all you would need to do would be to plug a NACS connector into the CT and tell it to turn on the battery power which would go to the inverter.
So all you really need is a cable to the inverter.
TFA makes it sound like there is a lot more hardware and wiring involved but this seems to make it more complicated.
Really, just a cable to a hybrid inverter solar string input is all that you need.

Just a quick GoogleIt gives me Growatt, PowMr, SunGold, PVinvt, EG4 and a bunch of others who have solar hybrid inverters in the 5000 to 10000 Watt range for about $1000.
I have two different solar hybrid inverters on my two houses here which will take 400v input, feed the grid and/or house. These are currently connected to solar strings but they could also be connected to 400v car batteries and be happy. These inverters are installed to feed excess solar to the grid and house and also provide backup power to the house in the case of grid failure. They have their own 48 volt batteries which could be recharged from the 400v car battery.
The CT Powershare should be able to provide 400v from the car battery to the inverters. Shouldn't even need a switch/gateway outside of the CT. Ideally all you would need to do would be to plug a NACS connector into the CT and tell it to turn on the battery power which would go to the inverter.
So all you really need is a cable to the inverter.
TFA makes it sound like there is a lot more hardware and wiring involved but this seems to make it more complicated.
Really, just a cable to a hybrid inverter solar string input is all that you need.

You should really just start a company and do this for the masses and make some $$. Not everyone wants to even do a google search.

The Ford "Power Play" runs DC from the battery to the home inverter, but AFAIK there's no way to tap into the Cybertruck pack directly. Powershare outputs AC through the NACS port.