Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I also have a gateway, black box with a white glass Tesla cover named "Backup Gateway 2" on the inside. I guess that is what is confusing me a little... I have 3 gateways? Standalone and 1 with each Powerwall+ ?
Yes but your Gateway is probably just for grid isolation. With the legacy setups, you would have one or more inverters feeding the Gateway which would then feed the PWs. Now, the inverters feed directly into the PW.

The Powerwall+ manual says:
"Every system contains at least one Powerwall+, with additional Powerwalls installed depending on your home’s energy consumption."
That would imply that you could have the head unit (gateway + inverter) of the PW+ which also uses energy from a second PW2. Maybe having 2x PW+ doubles the current capacity of the system, since each PW+ has a continuous off-grid output capability of 9.6 kW (divided by 240V = 40A), with overcurrent protection at 50A. So with 2 independent systems, you could get 2*40A = 80A, whereas with two PW2 and one gateway you'd not be able to get more than 50A continuous.

Now I'm really confused... are you sure your installer knew what he was doing?
No... no I am not.

Physically, there’s nothing stopping one PW from charging off of the other inverter when generation is high enough. The whole system is AC-coupled, so if one PW is backfeeding, there’s nothing preventing the other PW from charging during this time. It’s just firmware.
That's what I need to confirm that they will be able to "cross charge". I'm sure there is a better term but that makes sense to me.

Is it weird after having my 2 Powerwall+ batteries installed my idle night time usage jumped from ~600 watts to ~800 watts? I suppose it makes sense that Powerwalls consume power, but 100 watts each seems high to me, anyone know what they actually consume in Standby? If this is wrong is might be a result of my install not being correct/finished.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Do you know if they will stack the two PWs? or will it be side-by-side with one having the gateway above?
I did asked about the stacking but not about the gateway. On the stacking the tech mentioned he can stack on floor if I wanted it that way or wall mount if space permits. They will be installing them in my basement in my utility area, the meter and garage is on the opposite side of the house.

Actually they have been ready to install for 3 weeks now, it was my HOA that was holding up the process, I had to get approval from them due to the fact that the 36 panels would not fit on the back side of the roof (house), some would need to be on the front and I had to show 10% production loss without it.

** what i did: I asked tesla to give me a design with the back of the roof maxed out and a design with front and back of the roof, with production for the year for both. I also did a summary outlining the fact that I have an EV and getting another soon so less production was a waste. They agreed and approved, once i uploaded the approval letter I was scheduled the same day.

***Image of the Designed added

Attachments

• gateway.jpg
    gateway.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Pwoerwall+ info.jpg
    Pwoerwall+ info.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Power walls and Inverters.jpg
    Power walls and Inverters.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 79
  • roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 73
Is it weird after having my 2 Powerwall+ batteries installed my idle night time usage jumped from ~600 watts to ~800 watts? I suppose it makes sense that Powerwalls consume power, but 100 watts each seems high to me, anyone know what they actually consume in Standby? If this is wrong is might be a result of my install not being correct/finished.
There is part of another thread a few months back chatting about this, can’t find it at the moment. But yes it’s normal, seem to be the cooling/heating system in the Powerwalls. I see slightly higher power consumption per hour in extreme cold or heat, but our three Powerwalls consume about 250’ish watts.

Yes but your Gateway is probably just for grid isolation. With the legacy setups, you would have one or more inverters feeding the Gateway which would then feed the PWs. Now, the inverters feed directly into the PW.
i agree it appears the pw is connected to the inverter. i would like to see pictures of the inverter with the cover off. i don't believe dc is being fed to the batteries, but i could be wrong!

Awesome! Did you do a whole house backup? With the two powerwall+ and increased power output, there should be no issues with 1-2 a/c etc?
Correct, whole house backup. I have a single AC unit that is 2.5 tons. Prep-solar my higher peak energy usage was 5 kW. There appears to be a known bug with the new Powerwall+ units another user is reporting there is a fix and will be applied to his system next week.

I’ll just received my design plan. I like how that meter adapter switch really simplifies the design for a whole home back up. It has a generation breaker panel for the 2 pw+ and 2 pw2.1’s so it looks like AC coupling is how the sets of panels will charge each other. I have 6 strings and they have east and west side strings evenly mixed across the two pw +’s. The generation panel is wired in parallel into the main power line so no rewiring of the main panel would be needed. Can’t see a downside to this design if the software/firmware is working properly. Easy to add more powerwalls if needed if I can find space.

Reactions: SmartElectric
PW appears to still be AC coupled to inverter.
I agree that's how it looks. But I hope that the level of integration provided by PW+ means that the battery can tell the solar inverter directly to reduce output or shut down if the grid goes down while the battery is full rather than ramping up the AC frequency as is done with PW and independent inverters. And also reduce the time required for backup power to be supplied when the grid goes down, to make the transition truly "seamless" so computers and microwaves are not affected. Maybe down the road a further level of integration might be possible so we have DC-DC conversion from the solar to the battery for better efficiency.