Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can find used 7 pin Tesla units for sale on the web (eBay etc) +-$250. I would doubt connecting the unit would be as easy as plug and play. Probably the VIN/vehicle ID does not have the Radar required SW enabled. Wishful thinking.

I would think so too: the software probably has to know whether or not radar should be available on the car so it would know if the car is working as designed. Some enterprising individual could test it: plug a radar unit in and see if the software recognizes it. I also wonder the opposite: if you unplug the radar on a radar equipped car, if it would switch to vision only. I doubt it, primarily because on a car that has radar, it'd probably throw an error because that particular car should have working radar.

Mike

I would think so too: the software probably has to know whether or not radar should be available on the car so it would know if the car is working as designed. Some enterprising individual could test it: plug a radar unit in and see if the software recognizes it. I also wonder the opposite: if you unplug the radar on a radar equipped car, if it would switch to vision only. I doubt it, primarily because on a car that has radar, it'd probably throw an error because that particular car should have working radar.
It has been reported that you have to change the radar setting in the car configuration between None and Conti. Which of course Tesla is really the only people that can do that.

It's a fixed radar, not a spinning radar that gives vectors.
The model and specs of the radar were recently provided in another TV thread. The unit mentioned was a Continental ARS4-B. It's described as "a 77 GHz radar sensor with digital beam-forming scanning antenna which offers two scans for far and short range." IOW it's phased array so it functions more like a spinning radar than a fixed radar. The angular measurement accuracy is listed as +/- 0.2 degrees for both the far range and short range scans.

I imagine it is the fancy electronics to do beam forming that is currently in short supply.

Yeah so my 2 cents here after taking delivery on Monday:

Autopilot works fine so far during the day (haven't had to drive in the rain yet)
At night, coming back from MA, I had the auto high beams on without thinking of anything, engaged AP, everything was fine and then I was approaching a car and the high beams were still on (too close in my opinion to the car in front) I was sure I was blinding the poor person in front of me because let me tell you these headlights on the MYP on high are BRIGHT, so I turned them to low beams and got the warning from AP that it needs to stay on for it to work.

So to me, this is a safety issue that needs to be worked on, it doesn't work when you're about 4 car lengths away from the car in front of you and your high beams are still on.

Where does one submit feedback on this to Tesla?

So Tesla Vision with AP blinds everyone else at night? :oops: That doesn't sound like an easy fix if its operation relies on maximum illumination. Even in my older vehicle with incandescent lights I rarely use high beams to avoid blinding folks. Earlier '21 models with radar and lumbar support are looking more attractive now.

I don't think you should get a NEW car with missing parts just because Tesla wants to push all those cars through by the end of the quarter.

This is a long ready for those who feel like understanding the perspective of an ideal Tesla customer.

I get your post but their ideal customer is anyone who has the money to buy/finance the car.

So Tesla Vision with AP blinds everyone else at night? :oops: That doesn't sound like an easy fix if its operation relies on maximum illumination. Even in my older vehicle with incandescent lights I rarely use high beams to avoid blinding folks. Earlier '21 models with radar and lumbar support are looking more attractive now.

I don't think you should get a NEW car with missing parts just because Tesla wants to push all those cars through by the end of the quarter.

I get your post but their ideal customer is anyone who has the money to buy/finance the car.
My guess; if the United States would actually change our archaic headlight/illumination laws the system would work MUCH better. Something that isn’t being mention on these forums is the fact that the new headlights (adaptive) are supposed to have features to prevent blinding oncoming traffic and traffic in front of you—but they aren’t enabled due to our BS laws. This is the same case for the awesome lights on BMWs/AUDI/Mercedes that are enabled or supplied to other markets yet here in the US we have to flat second fiddle and use dumb headlights. Even the best adaptive lights right now in the US aren’t near the functionality of those supplied in other markets.

Reactions: edseloh and play150
Since Tesla is removing the radar functionality and raising prices, do you think our "gently used" M3's will go up in value? From what I have been hearing the limitations of Tesla Vision is pretty substantial, especially in inclement weather. Personally I'd be really annoyed with the (although temporary) stripped down version of autopilot in a brand new M3.

Since Tesla is removing the radar functionality and raising prices, do you think our "gently used" M3's will go up in value? From what I have been hearing the limitations of Tesla Vision is pretty substantial, especially in inclement weather. Personally I'd be really annoyed with the (although temporary) stripped down version of autopilot in a brand new M3.

Almost certainly at some point they are going to disable the radar in cars that have it, so it will essentially just be just extra weight at the front

Almost certainly at some point they are going to disable the radar in cars that have it, so it will essentially just be just extra weight at the front

Is there a link to that or is it your opinion, you THINK they will disable it? Why would they? For what specific purpose? Fairness? Lol... I doubt they disable the radar in prior year M3's.

Is there a link to that or is it your opinion, you THINK they will disable it? Why would they? For what specific purpose? Fairness? Lol... I doubt they disable the radar in prior year M3's

Tesla likes to normalize things, with typical software development you don't want a whole bunch of different code branches. They aren't going to want to develop and maintain an autopilot system, full self driving, safety features, etc.. for pre mid-21 cars and post-21 cars.

Once they figure the vision thing out that will probably become the new normal

Reactions: rjpjnk