Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla likes to normalize things, with typical software development you don't want a whole bunch of different code branches. They aren't going to want to develop and maintain an autopilot system, full self driving, safety features, etc.. for pre mid-21 cars and post-21 cars.

Once they figure the vision thing out that will probably become the new normal

So your assuming. TBH, it wouldn't surprise me... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I've noticed that... I'm going to assume it stays until Elon proves me wrong.

I did see this:

"Tesla says vehicles currently equipped with radar will continue to utilize data obtained through its function until the automaker determines "the appropriate time" to transition the vehicles to use Tesla Vision."

I did see this:

"Tesla says vehicles currently equipped with radar will continue to utilize data obtained through its function until the automaker determines "the appropriate time" to transition the vehicles to use Tesla Vision."

If I got one of these new cars, disabling radar across the board would make me feel better haha!

Take their lumbar function away too Elon, thanks.

I am 100% sure that they will disable radar in the older vehicle at some point, but not until Tesla Vision is thoroughly tested and working a hell of a lot better than it currently is. That is why they didn't upgrade the camera system in the new non-radar cars, so it can be the same for all M3s & MYs. They most definitely rushed it to market for some reason (most likely supply chain issues), but the upside is they will have a lot of real world data that should help them finish it quicker than if they were just using test vehicles. But, I don't want to be a guinea pig while they're figuring out the last 20% of the code to make TeslaVision on par with the previous radar versions.

Reactions: play150
I am 100% sure that they will disable radar in the older vehicle at some point, but not until Tesla Vision is thoroughly tested and working a hell of a lot better than it currently is. That is why they didn't upgrade the camera system in the new non-radar cars, so it can be the same for all M3s & MYs. They most definitely rushed it to market for some reason (most likely supply chain issues), but the upside is they will have a lot of real world data that should help them finish it quicker than if they were just using test vehicles. But, I don't want to be a guinea pig while they're figuring out the last 20% of the code to make TeslaVision on par with the previous radar versions.
More likely the software change to eliminate dependency on radar ran behind schedule, but Tesla had already stopped sourcing radar components.

More likely the software change to eliminate dependency on radar ran behind schedule, but Tesla had already stopped sourcing couldn't source radar components.

Fixed that for you.

No reason for such a high risk move unless it actually got in the way of delivering finished cars.

1.) Tesla will retain radar on countries where they have NO choice but to keep it.
2.) Tesla fleet with radar will be used to validate Tesla vision for those without radar.
3.) Radar goes away from all at some point in the future whether it was installed before or not.

Thinking of putting up my wife's 3SR for sale since people are so obsessed over trivial and/or deprecated future functinality.

My 3 has
Radar
Passenger Lumbar controls
... and

FRUNK HOOKS.

HAVES = Me. HAVE NOTS = You.

Kind of stupid question: How do you know if a Model3 has front radar or not, when looking at it? Is there's zero physical difference, including exactly the same windshield, after which VIN it started, then? And finally, it doesn't sound like it's a better system than the radar, does it? Just curious. Thank you.

Kind of stupid question: How do you know if a Model3 has front radar or not, when looking at it? Is there's zero physical difference, including exactly the same windshield, after which VIN it started, then? And finally, it doesn't sound like it's a better system than the radar, does it? Just curious. Thank you.
It is my understanding that its any vehicle built on or after April 27th 2021. No at the moment in its current state it is not better.

Reactions: Platini and play150