Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Updated Range and 0-60 times for Model 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you receive your VIN yet? If so, is it a 2022? The changes seem to coincide with a change to 2022 model years, even though Tesla is known to make changes whenever they want.
I haven't received my VIN yet. Still waiting with an estimated delivery window of 1 month (long range model). Do you think they might still assign me with a 2022 vin? I placed an order when it was showing the old specs.

I haven't received my VIN yet. Still waiting with an estimated delivery window of 1 month (long range model). Do you think they might still assign me with a 2022 vin? I placed an order when it was showing the old specs.
Tesla historically has changed to the new model year October/November, but the changes coinciding with the new model year is just a guess on my part. I believe since you haven't received a VIN yet the new changes would apply to your vehicle. I'd call Tesla Order Support to see if they can provide you with a firm answer.

Reactions: GSP and kakao
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say what's really happened here is Tesla got more specific detailing different configurations whereas before it was likely a blanket range number based on the ideal configuration (aero wheels) not taking into account wheel options. But who really knows, just speculating.
Since they’re now showing a slightly lower range estimate for the 20-inch wheel option on MYLR and slightly higher one for the Gemini version this theory makes a lot of sense. That they have essentially taken what had been an average for the two wheel types and split it into more accurate numbers for each. The P didn’t change because... the wheels stayed the same.

Reactions: GSP and kakao
Tesla historically has changed to the new model year October/November, but the changes coinciding with the new model year is just a guess on my part. I believe since you haven't received a VIN yet the new changes would apply to your vehicle. I'd call Tesla Order Support to see if they can provide you with a firm answer.
I'll call them after work today and ask. I hope whoever I talk to actually knows what's going on. If I hear anything useful I will post an update.

I could be wrong but highly doubt Tesla would deliver a different spec vehicle. They would deliver what was ordered. Just like when they started delivering LFP batteries, people who had NCA on order were contacted and offered LFP vehicles. Their orders were not simply switched to LFP vehicles. They had to agree to the change in spec.

The 82kwh packs were showing up as early as May, 2021 on LR variants so I don't think that entirely explains P's lower range.
The range on LR never increased with that change in pack to “82.1kWh” though. Now it has. All the numbers make sense; looks like degradation threshold has probably gone to 79kWh now like Model Y, still with the “82.1kWh” pack. 358 miles may be a somewhat conservative rating depending on what they end up allowing for available energy (whether it is closer to 79kWh like it seemed to be typically in 2021 for LRs, or closer to 81kWh like it is for Performance…)

The P lower range is because it has 20” sticky tires.

Remember 2021 Model Y would show 331 rated miles at 100% (79kWh) even though it had a 326 mile official rating. (It has the 82.1kWh pack.). If you search for 331 around here, you’ll find photographic evidence of that.

Last edited:
Hi everybody. Was just on the model 3 configurations page and they have updated a few things. IMO the most obvious thing is the standard range plus has been updated to 272 miles of range and the 0-60 time is considerably slower at 5.8 seconds. This is up from the previous 5.3. The only reason I could think that they would do this is to sell an acceleration boost for the car now called “rear wheel drive.” This coincides with the 0.5 second difference that the long range cars get when they get A.B.
Anybody have any ideas?

The range on LR never increased with that change in pack to “82.1kWh” though. Now it has. All the numbers make sense; looks like degradation threshold has probably gone to 79kWh now like Model Y, still with the “82.1kWh” pack. 358 miles may be a somewhat conservative rating depending on what they end up allowing for available energy (whether it is closer to 79kWh like it seemed to be typically in 2021 for LRs, or closer to 81kWh like it is for Performance…)

The P lower range is because it has 20” sticky tires.

Remember 2021 Model Y would show 331 rated miles at 100% (79kWh) even though it had a 326 mile official rating. (It has the 82.1kWh pack.). If you search for 331 around here, you’ll find photographic evidence of that.
Alan - perhaps you noted it already, but what is the M3 LR degradation threshold change now vs 2021? I'm assuming less energy per rated mile now?

Alan - perhaps you noted it already, but what is the M3 LR degradation threshold change now vs 2021? I'm assuming less energy per rated mile now?
I have no idea - we have to guess until we get to see an energy screen and the EPA miles.

But I suspect it is the same energy per rated mile and it is 79kWh now just like Model Y (77.8kWh*358/353 = 79kWh).

Reactions: Jeremy3292
@jjrandorin Can we make the first post a sticky so @PNWLeccy can edit/update it with all the new information? Looks there was a second post made further down with more info.

(moderator note)

You mean "make it a wiki?" (its already a sticky thread).

I have the option to turn the first post into a wiki but dont use that feature normally so am not 100% of the ramifications. I "think" that it will make that post editable by anyone though, there isnt any way to lock it down to specific people from what was explained to me.

I also know there was some "strangeness" on wiki posts so its possible everyone BUT the OP could edit it. I could "click the button" and see, but the OP put some effort into the table etc so I would hate to see someone else modify that.

(moderator note)

You mean "make it a wiki?" (its already a sticky thread).

I have the option to turn the first post into a wiki but dont use that feature normally so am not 100% of the ramifications. I "think" that it will make that post editable by anyone though, there isnt any way to lock it down to specific people from what was explained to me.

I also know there was some "strangeness" on wiki posts so its possible everyone BUT the OP could edit it. I could "click the button" and see, but the OP put some effort into the table etc so I would hate to see someone else modify that.
Yes, I meant Wiki. It is to make the first post editable by the topic author...at least that is what was done in the below thread:

Yes, I meant Wiki. It is to make the first post editable by the topic author...at least that is what was done in the below thread:

I already mentioned in the rest of my post you quoted some concerns I have with that. Put another way, I dont have any issue "clicking the wiki button" but I am not going to be troubleshooting any strangeness with it, and Its not possible to limit access to certain people etc as far as I know.

So a 79 kWh degradation threshold now vs 77.8 kWh previously?

Correct. Just my guess. The other question is what they end up providing for energy initially. Will it be 79-80kWh, or 81kWh like the Performance? And will the EPA test show 80.6kWh like the Performance? Is 358 voluntarily reduced (from 368 miles, for example)? We’ll know in a few months.

Anybody have a good comparison of P vs. LR without rollout?

I've got a detailed chart I've posted a bunch but don't have locally on this system.

Measuring both with rollout though it's roughly 3.0 vs 3.9.... (or 3.5 for LR AWD with AB)

I'll try and remember to post the whole thing (which includes changes from both of the free 5% boosts, and HP CANBUS numbers and 1/4 mile numbers, etc) tonight when I'm home.