Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from Magic Kingdom and out of the 5 charge point spots, 2 had ev cars (volt) just parked and not charging! These fools were just using tha spot for a VIP spot. So I decided to back into the center island spot and make my own spot to charge my Model X for 6 hrs which cost me $10 for about 81 miles. It really ticks me off to see morons park in charging spots and I've been seeing these morons much more now. Even at the EVGo charging spots at the Orlando outlets because parking is so sparse.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax and davidc18
I just got back from Magic Kingdom and out of the 5 charge point spots, 2 had ev cars (volt) just parked and not charging! These fools were just using tha spot for a VIP spot. So I decided to back into the center island spot and make my own spot to charge my Model X for 6 hrs which cost me $10 for about 81 miles. It really ticks me off to see morons park in charging spots and I've been seeing these morons much more now. Even at the EVGo charging spots at the Orlando outlets because parking is so sparse.

We had a similar experience at Epcot with an ELR with the charge port open but not plugged in. I left a note to inform the owner of just how rude that behavior is. I wonder how Disney security would react if informed?

I had a recent email exchange with some one in the know at ChargePoint and asked about charging at the DisneyWorld parks. I include below a couple of statements from them in the email exchange:

We are currently working with Disney to add more stations at all of their parks, however nothing will probably happen until mid-2019.

Also, two dual port stations have been added at Hollywood Studios and should be online in the next month or so.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
I noticed the ChargePoint chargers under construction in the front of the parking lot when I visited Hollywood studios in July, sure taking a long time. During my week long stay, I managed to charge at the magic kingdom, animal kingdom and downtown Disney, although as soon as I took the last spot, two other Tesla’s showed up so it was crowded. The chargepoint app is nice that it tells you when stations are available (assuming someone is taking up the spot without plugging in). I personally don’t mind paying for the electricity, but think that Disney should increase the number of chargers by a factor of 10!

More information regarding ChargePoint and DisneyWorld Resorts:

The new Coronado Springs resort should have three dual port stations installed in November and the Wildnerness Lodge should have 1 dual port station installed in October. There is also one already in place at the Disney Vero Beach Resort.

The Contemporary, Grand Floridian and Polynesian will be installed in early 2019.

I noticed the ChargePoint chargers under construction in the front of the parking lot when I visited Hollywood studios in July, sure taking a long time. During my week long stay, I managed to charge at the magic kingdom, animal kingdom and downtown Disney, although as soon as I took the last spot, two other Tesla’s showed up so it was crowded. The chargepoint app is nice that it tells you when stations are available (assuming someone is taking up the spot without plugging in). I personally don’t mind paying for the electricity, but think that Disney should increase the number of chargers by a factor of 10!
When you say front, do you mean close to the entrance?

Yes, up front, prime parking. Near all of the handicapped spaces. They looked like they were modifying the landscaping and adding parallel parking for the chargers.

Across from cypress drive and the small building (sorry, don’t know how to draw on the photo)

Attachments

• 0C8D6595-20BC-4143-B487-B12D262834DF.png
    0C8D6595-20BC-4143-B487-B12D262834DF.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 168
Yes, up front, prime parking. Near all of the handicapped spaces. They looked like they were modifying the landscaping and adding parallel parking for the chargers.

Across from cypress drive and the small building (sorry, don’t know how to draw on the photo)
Too bad, that will attract all the ICE drivers and lazy EV owners that think they deserve a privileged spot. As opposed to those folks that actually need a charge.

Too bad, that will attract all the ICE drivers and lazy EV owners that think they deserve a privileged spot. As opposed to those folks that actually need a charge.

Getting to these spots requires the approval of a parking attendant, so I don't see them being able to be ICE'd. Unplugged EVs are another thing. You have to know they exist to ask for them, so I'm assuming over time they will be more busy.

Tesla should add destination charger in addition to charge point! That would be nice...

Regarding ICEd, Teslas not charging is as bad as the following pic shows! The photo was taken at the Epcot stations last week...

B2B1CC17-0AFF-4F60-B8CF-A461E1719282.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D371FEA-38C6-4500-BDC1-D6850F81788D.jpeg
    3D371FEA-38C6-4500-BDC1-D6850F81788D.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 78
Getting to these spots requires the approval of a parking attendant, so I don't see them being able to be ICE'd. Unplugged EVs are another thing. You have to know they exist to ask for them, so I'm assuming over time they will be more busy.
We attend Disney frequently since we are Florida residents and Passholders. My comments are based on experience ever since the chargers were installed. You have to be very lucky to get a charging spot now at Epcot. Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom are a little better because the spots are a little farther from the entrances. I’m guessing Hollywood Studios is going to be similar to Epcot since they are close to the entrance.

Hollywood studios charging stations. Pictures taken in July, hopefully more progress complete but I haven’t been back to confirm.

Attachments

• B8DE586D-5A81-4D49-900F-1B52A482CE48.jpeg
    B8DE586D-5A81-4D49-900F-1B52A482CE48.jpeg
    614.9 KB · Views: 71
  • B74E3E19-40B0-4DFD-8723-9E23394FF0FF.jpeg
    B74E3E19-40B0-4DFD-8723-9E23394FF0FF.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 65