Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distance driving - Brisbane to Sydney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More info on trip to TWB. I took a run up there this morning travelling at or about the limit; results are:

Brisbane to Toowoomba to Brisbane

to TWB 130.8 km 27.9 kWh 213 Wh/km
to BNE 130.8 km 20.5 kWh 156 Wh/km
Total 261.6 km 48.4 kWh 185 Wh/km

and a graph of the usage up and down the range.

IMG_4407.JPG

Ray, I picked up the car from Autonexus today and used 18kWh for the 99km for the trip home. Sitting on the limit on cruise control. With your numbers from Bris, the return trip to Toowoomba from the coast should be around 84kwh. If I leave with a full charge and get 16kwh overnight on the UMC then I am guessing I should be fine. If it looks tight I might take you up on the offer of a top at mid return trip, as I will probably use Legacy way etc, my shout for a coffee/morning tea on Caxton st if you are on that side of the Parklands.

If I drive like I did for the 50km after i got home then I would be lucky to make it to Chermside. The acceleration is a neat party trick but the rest of the driving experience is very special, that is not news to those who have been driving one for a while. I can't see the first set of tyres lasting very long.

Ray, I picked up the car from Autonexus today and used 18kWh for the 99km for the trip home. Sitting on the limit on cruise control. With your numbers from Bris, the return trip to Toowoomba from the coast should be around 84kwh. If I leave with a full charge and get 16kwh overnight on the UMC then I am guessing I should be fine. If it looks tight I might take you up on the offer of a top at mid return trip, as I will probably use Legacy way etc, my shout for a coffee/morning tea on Caxton st if you are on that side of the Parklands.

If I drive like I did for the 50km after i got home then I would be lucky to make it to Chermside. The acceleration is a neat party trick but the rest of the driving experience is very special, that is not news to those who have been driving one for a while. I can't see the first set of tyres lasting very long.
G'day, Some points of interest; Mine's just a Model S 85 and your P85D probably won't get quite the distance; I'm sure you won't be able to resist a few launches; Although the battery capacity is supposed to be 85 kWh, mine is effectively flat after 73 kWh (diagram below "may" explain this).

I'm down in parklands and we have a couple of coffee houses down here and room (12 ha) to stretch the legs. See ya Monday possibly.

image.jpeg

Heading to Sydney again today; this time with a full load. In the past, I got to Coffs with a bit left over. With a load (4 of us with baggage) had to slow to 75 from Grafton to make it to Coffs with 2 km left.

What Model S are you driving Ray? Also, where was your previous charge prior to Coffs? I'm planning a trip to Sydney shortly after our car arrives, so I'm very interested in all of this.

What Model S are you driving Ray? Also, where was your previous charge prior to Coffs? I'm planning a trip to Sydney shortly after our car arrives, so I'm very interested in all of this.
Ours is an 85. You should have no trouble getting to Coffs. Could then charge for a couple of hours and on to the Observatory in Port for overnight. Charge there and if you have an 85 straight through to Sydney next day.

Gudday Raynewman,

Do you know if there are any Model S's for rental in Brisbane yet?

Cant say I am keen to trek up from Melb with my workload but it would be nice to be able to step into a Model S at Brisy airport.
I am not aware of any - but then where is your sense of adventure?
A smooth glide up to Sydney using Superchargers (10 to 12 hours) then another 4 odd hours to Port Macquarie (a long stretch I admit particularly if you are as old as I am).
After a good night's rest at the Observatory (and a full charge) on early in the morning to Coffs Harbour for a topup at the show grounds (and a cup of coffee - about 3 hours) then straight through to Brisbane.
In Brisbane, should you need a charge, I can help or any number of the hotel parks also help.
Give it a go...