Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distance driving - Brisbane to Sydney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We did Port Macquarie from Roseville in Sydney recently, mostly using the adaptive cruise and keeping below the limit, and arrived with 13% to spare. We charged up at a friend's cottage on the Port, and it took 2 days using the UMC, so we might try Harelec next time. On the way back we experimented and found that going at the limit or better made almost no difference to the car's expected end of trip stored energy surplus, so we sped up and kept up with fast lane traffic, but still on cruise. Again, 13% to spare. I think this is where the Tesla low drag really counts, but avoidance of unnecessary acceleration by using cruise also ensures a comfortable margin. I wouldn't worry at all about Sydney - Port Macquarie as a trip in the future. Let the cruise control take the sharp acceleration out of your driving pattern. We live 6 km from the St Leonards supercharger, so could have made that from PM easily.

If anyone is worried about range from Sydney to Port Macquarie I have a 3-phase 32A plug in Newcastle which is up on Plugshare. A cable is available if I'm around or it would be worth getting one from Timpoo at Jetcharge if you do a bit of long range driving.

Solar powered as well - but connected to the grid :)

If anyone is worried about range from Sydney to Port Macquarie I have a 3-phase 32A plug in Newcastle which is up on Plugshare. A cable is available if I'm around or it would be worth getting one from Timpoo at Jetcharge if you do a bit of long range driving.

Solar powered as well - but connected to the grid :)

That is great to know...thank you Mike!!! Hopefully those 400km won't be a problem but throw in some driving rain & headwinds and it could be.

Just asked the Nav to plot Brisbane (home) to Coffs Harbour; result was it insisted we had to go via St Leonards 'cause we don't (currently) have the range for Coffs Harbour.
The funny part is St Leonards is twice as far and we have to go through Coffs to get there. The Nav logic could definitely use some polish.

Just asked the Nav to plot Brisbane (home) to Coffs Harbour; result was it insisted we had to go via St Leonards 'cause we don't (currently) have the range for Coffs Harbour.
The funny part is St Leonards is twice as far and we have to go through Coffs to get there. The Nav logic could definitely use some polish.

would be worth reporting it as a bug to Tesla before someone does get stranded?

Well at least we have a distance charging option at Brunswick Heads, so Coffs (300km) is plausible - and Port Macquarie is the next d/c location (400km - so could be line ball from Brunswick Heads !)

- - - Updated - - -

Further to my last post, for us in Brisbane does anyone know of destination charging plans between Brunswick Heads and Port Macquarie --- one more at Ballina or Coffs Harbour and the BNE/SYD trip becomes possible (over at least one night stopover).

Well at least we have a distance charging option at Brunswick Heads, so Coffs (300km) is plausible - and Port Macquarie is the next d/c location (400km - so could be line ball from Brunswick Heads !)

- - - Updated - - -

Further to my last post, for us in Brisbane does anyone know of destination charging plans between Brunswick Heads and Port Macquarie --- one more at Ballina or Coffs Harbour and the BNE/SYD trip becomes possible (over at least one night stopover).
I'm heading to Sydney on Monday; first to Coffs Harbour showground (charge on 3 phase that's available there for 4 hours). Then on to Pt Macquarie and overnight at the Observatory. Full charge next day will be enough to make it to St Leonards (hopefully).

I'm heading to Sydney on Monday; first to Coffs Harbour showground (charge on 3 phase that's available there for 4 hours). Then on to Pt Macquarie and overnight at the Observatory. Full charge next day will be enough to make it to St Leonards (hopefully).
If you have an 85, it's enough. Keep in mind 3 phase 32A was offered in Newcastle by someone else some posts back if you need it.

That will be an interesting drive, almost 400km from Brisbane to Coffs. Another 400km from Port Macquarie to Sydney. Are you planning on travelling at the speed limit or a bit lower for range? Pics & commentary please!

That will be an interesting drive, almost 400km from Brisbane to Coffs. Another 400km from Port Macquarie to Sydney. Are you planning on travelling at the speed limit or a bit lower for range? Pics & commentary please!
Plan to travel at speed limit on TACC. First leg to Coffs should be easy as it's mainly highway. The Port to Sydney is more of a challenge but there are plenty of emergency chargers around Newcastle.

Plan to travel at speed limit on TACC. First leg to Coffs should be easy as it's mainly highway. The Port to Sydney is more of a challenge but there are plenty of emergency chargers around Newcastle.
Marc wrote some words on that journey in the past: Tesla Model S in Australia: Breaking the shackles and conquering new frontiers | One Step Off The Grid

Keep in mind if you're range is suffering, using TACC behind a truck can help your range significantly. With safety in mind, of course.

Yes I'm keen to hear how you go. Tackling 400km of highway still gives me range anxiety (with kids aboard) I confess .. So still keen to see a dist. charging option north of Coffs soon as a backup. I need to learn to use TACC better also: I may not have it set right but I seem to get very close to other cars and intervene.

Following are the numbers for the Brisbane to Coffs and the Coffs to Port legs.
For more info about charging at Coffs, see http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/55403-Charging-in-Coffs-Harbour?p=1189725#post1189725

Now charging at The Observer in PORT.

IMG_4336.jpg
IMG_4342.jpg

Nice work in coffs, I didn't realise the 3 phase adapter for the UMC was available yet. Welcome to Port, hope they gave you one of the ocean facing rooms! Feel free to PM if you want any suggestions for food places etc.
Thanks, think I'll just rest and watch the ocean tonight.

Tesla sell the European Red three phase 16 AMP adaptor for $130 + Shipping. I made up an adaptor: European three phase socket to Oz 32 AMP plug.
Charges on a single charger car at 50+ Km/Hr.

I think it probably means around 75 kWh or a bit more is usable in the 85. I think I've seen a figure around that quoted in other threads...so that the pack is not entirely depleted causing LV issues.

This diagram summarises it:

image.jpeg

Not sure of the original author of the diagram (possibly Nick Howe), but has been posted a few times in these forums and was found from a Google search for Tesla Model S usable battery capacity.