Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Big Brake Kit with Brembo 6 piston Calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@santua only ONE more needed for the next order!

Thanks for pushing this, Jesse and the fantastic research from @drpheta. Was chatting with @buckets0fun at the track over the weekend about this setup and cannot believe I missed this thread. I felt a spongy pedal on the way home and fairly sure I boiled the fluid - stock calipers, stock rotors, 5th track day on RBF600. This seems like the easy button and I think it is unlikely track folks will find this lacking given the amount of time we can realistically expect in a session, especially with an RBF660, Castrol SRF, or Project Mu G-Four 335.

As a Corvette owner I am on the hunt for the same calipers as @drpheta's and leaving them as is. 👺 This caliper design in red reminds me of the pignose WRX 4-pots the Subaru community was aching for back in the day. To add to the info here, the pad shape on the DIY GM 6-Piston Brembo is FMSI D1405 and much more likely to be in stock than OEM Performance caliper pads. This list is non-exhaustive and untested, but hopefully helps someone searching in the future for track pads. You can probably guess the part number if you're looking for a different compound with the exception of Hawk and Ferodo. I have reached out to Performance Friction as I am somewhat surprised to not see a PFC08 or 11 in this size.

ManufacturerPart NumberCost
Carbotech XP12CT1405-XP12$
Ferodo DSUNOFRP3133Z$$$
G-LOC R12GP1405-R12$
Hawk DTC-70HB649U.605$
Pagid RSL298081-RSL29$$
Raybestos ST43RC1405 ST-43$

I am looking forward to giving this setup some track abuse and hoping to keep my 18s.

I am going to think it for some time, because in all honestly, as much as I am temped by the
Or just buy the cheap yellow set off of Amazon from a few posts back, and send them off to be painted!

Seriously though, Amazon has them in all colors, and I haven’t found anywhere cheaper (even for the not-discounted sets) with an hour or so of searching.
They seem to be back at almost $800 now.

For the cheap Amazon yellow passenger caliper, pull up the "Other Sellers" menu. Ironically the "other" seller is Amazon. This should bring up the $224 option which you can directly Add to Cart. It shows mid-August delivery for the cheapies.

Also, tomorrow and Wednesday is "Prime Day". 6% cash back if you have the Amazon Prime Chase Credit Card. 🙃 $210.56 + tax for a 6-piston Brembo caliper?!?!

Aghhhh...let me think about it.
If you need to think that hard about it, your heart must not be in it enough! ;)

Seriously though, go for it! You could easily sell the rotors if you decide not to do it in the end, but getting another set when you decide to later might be a bit tougher...

Err on the side of caution and just do it.

Side note - I'm pretty good at playing devil's advocate.🤣

If you need to think that hard about it, your heart must not be in it enough! ;)

Seriously though, go for it! You could easily sell the rotors if you decide not to do it in the end, but getting another set when you decide to later might be a bit tougher...

Err on the side of caution and just do it.

Side note - I'm pretty good at playing devil's advocate.🤣
Unfortunately, boys, I will not be joining yall.

Not resigning from the idea, just pushing it aside for the future perhaps. I just have absolutely no need for this upgrade other than for looks atm.😅

However, I am excited to see all of your setups.

Regardless, thank you @jesse_le for the opportunity to join the group buy!

Just as an aside, one of my calipers showed up today. These things are ENORMOUS when they're off of the car. I've had a number of cars with these (and bigger) calipers, but it just doesn't click how big they are until you have them in your hands...

Does anyone have any good places around the Charlotte, NC area to get these things painted or powder coated? Or somewhere I can ship them off to that you trust?

Reactions: jesse_le and santua
What are the options available now for the CTS V2 caliper conversion? Is there a stock rotor option currently?

I am interested
You might still have time to get in on the GiroDisc group buy. @jesse_le is organizing this. They'll build rotors for us to convert, but needs to be in batches of at least 5. We currently have 5, so he's getting ready to lock down the list now.

Status
Not open for further replies.