Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Big Brake Kit with Brembo 6 piston Calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So received my rotors yesterday and installed the same night.

Some installation notes everything went well as of fit with the rotors and calipers. The dust shield was a pain since removing the t30 screws the dust shield can’t be removed like the MPP installation video since it encapsulates the entire hub. Went the dremel route to cut the side of the dust shield in order to remove it. Drilling out the knuckle was slightly difficult since the hub doesn’t allow for a straight line due to hub interfering with my drill. Used the hf step drill to 9/16 and straight after. The hardest part I think is installing the pad retaining clip. Not sure if my ac / delco clips are not bent correctly but was a pain to install. The caliper sliding pins don’t exactly hold onto the clip which allowed it to pop off after installation.

Re bled the whole brake system twice surprisingly the were not many bubbles in the rear.

Happy installs guys

Attachments

• B495CAB2-4DF5-4204-B7C7-3EF6564D3883.jpeg
    B495CAB2-4DF5-4204-B7C7-3EF6564D3883.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 193
  • D00A60B4-F91E-49B2-BF03-24D67BFAF767.jpeg
    D00A60B4-F91E-49B2-BF03-24D67BFAF767.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 149
  • E2403536-021D-40A9-BD94-08A48FFB550B.jpeg
    E2403536-021D-40A9-BD94-08A48FFB550B.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 159
Very tempted...

Questions, because I am an absolute noob when it comes to brakes.

- Is this truly a worth-it upgrade over stock if I am not tracking my car? Or would it be a more sensible option to do MPP rotors and pads?
- What are your guys' impressions so far with the calipers and rotors?

Very tempted...

Questions, because I am an absolute noob when it comes to brakes.

- Is this truly a worth-it upgrade over stock if I am not tracking my car? Or would it be a more sensible option to do MPP rotors and pads?
- What are your guys' impressions so far with the calipers and rotors?
Going to be completely honest on my point of view.

It's dirt cheap. $1700 for Brembo 6-piston front brakes with 2-piece rotors, plus pads, and that's with brand new calipers, if you catch the Amazon deal right now.

Yes, you can definitely get away with going the cheap route with some minor upgrades (pads and fluid being paramount), and they'll be great for 99% of people. Upgrading the brakes was pretty far down my list, but with the price of this setup, it got moved up pretty quick...

My opinion? You can never have 'too much' brake, as long as the car is composed when you have to mash that pedal.

Reactions: emotiveeng

It's dirt cheap. $1700 for Brembo 6-piston front brakes with 2-piece rotors, plus pads, and that's with brand new calipers, if you catch the Amazon deal right now.

Yes, you can definitely get away with going the cheap route with some minor upgrades (pads and fluid being paramount), and they'll be great for 99% of people. Upgrading the brakes was pretty far down my list, but with the price of this setup, it got moved up pretty quick...

My opinion? You can never have 'too much' brake, as long as the car is composed when you have to mash that pedal.
Yeah, seems the difference isn't actually that much.

@jesse_le How many people do you need for the second round? And how many are already showing interest?

At 370mm I certainly don’t expect them to fit under anything that wouldn’t fit the factory Performance brakes.
I know there are some aftermarket wheels that are 18" and will clear larger brakes than these
Thanks for posting up your setup @vietfella Can you post your wheel setup (size and offset)?
My wheel setup is 19x9.5 +30 on Aspira AF-10 on Hankook S1 Ventus Evo2 265/35/19
Aspira AF-10

I have a different perspective. The brake upgrade won't ever be experienced (outside of bling) since the tires are the limiting factor. Street tires will break grip before the stock brakes fail/fade in street driving. So, while this setup is comparatively dirt cheap, it's not worth it on a strict street car. Even AutoX doesn't warrant the upgrade beyond MPP rotors on stock calipers.

That said, if you have the cash to burn, then upgrade to this setup to get what you want. It's the best bang for your buck BBK with quality parts.

I have a different perspective. The brake upgrade won't ever be experienced (outside of bling) since the tires are the limiting factor. Street tires will break grip before the stock brakes fail/fade in street driving. So, while this setup is comparatively dirt cheap, it's not worth it on a strict street car. Even AutoX doesn't warrant the upgrade beyond MPP rotors on stock calipers.

That said, if you have the cash to burn, then upgrade to this setup to get what you want. It's the best bang for your buck BBK with quality parts.
You are 100% correct, of course, but only because the brakes that come on the M3P are genuinely good brakes. It's a lot like the suspension, though - once you've driven a car with extremely good brakes, you don't want to go back. And yeah, bling is a factor, especially for the insane value here.

Mine will have at least a couple of runs per year at VIR, Road Atlanta, and Carolina Motorsports Park, so I'll definitely get some real use out of them.

Regardless, we all know that the REAL hero when upgrading these things is the brake fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.