Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DiY HomeLink Install using in car Service Mode - No need for Tesla Service or ToolBox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good info.

@turns2stone wanted to remove the HomeLink module from his 2018 Model 3 then DiY re-install to a new Model 3.

The HL module in OEM installed system in a Model 3 is in front of the crash bar behind the bumper fascia and there is no way to take the HL module without first removing the bumper fascia.

The re-install to another Model is easier since one can mount the HL module anywhere close to the HL harness inside the frunk.

Attachments

• 20200315_221426.jpg
    20200315_221426.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Good info.

@turns2stone wanted to remove the HomeLink module from his 2018 Model 3 then DiY re-install to a new Model 3.

The HL module in OEM installed system in a Model 3 is in front of the crash bar behind the bumper fascia and there is no way to take the HL module without first removing the bumper fascia.

The re-install to another Model is easier since one can mount the HL module anywhere close to the HL harness inside the frunk.
What is the weird bolt holding on the HL bracket? I have a lot of tools, but I don't think I have that!

@colojohn - thanks. To be clear, you didn't remove an existing module from an older car, right? That's my challenge. Swapping my HL (behind fascia) from my '20 to my '23.
Come to think of it, was your HL module on '20 Model 3 installed by Tesla post delivery?

Maybe the installer got lazy (or wise 😆) and placed the HL module in the frunk and not behind the bumper fascia. 🤔

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Come to think of it, was your HL module on '20 Model 3 installed by Tesla post delivery?

Maybe the installer got lazy (or wise 😆) and placed the HL module in the frunk and not behind the bumper fascia. 🤔
Yes, it was installed post-delivery. I guess I should take a look :)

Assume I physically remove it, will my current car throw off warnings or otherwise exhibit weird behavior if it's gone?

Reactions: RoBoRaT
@RoBoRaT @turns2stone
Ahhh, I naively made the assumption that since the harness was right there under the tub, and that the service manual said to install under the fascia, that the reverse was the same, I didn't realize they changed the location when they quit including them by default. (unless I'm misunderstanding and installed mine where it shouldn't be). I did not take mine out, I just bought it on ebay.

Sorry for that. Still, given the ease of removing the tub, I think RoBoRaT's guess about the post-delivery install is great, and it might be that simple. Honestly, opening and replacing the tub is about as easy as it gets for car maintenance

I installed mine yesterday. I am a bit too ocd and tried to install the bracket without removing the front bumper and realized it was impossible. So I pulled the front bumper, and installed the bracket and homelink module. It works perfectly and I learned how to remove the front bumper.

• Funny
I salvaged my HL from my 2021 MY which was totaled after hitting a deer. Installed it in my new 2023 but, even after updating the configuration per these instructions, the test failed due to lack of comms with the module. Unfortunately I think my HL is toast.

For those that did DIY.....Is it possible to install the homelink module w/ bracket to oem location without taking the bumper off? Do you have to reach around to put the screw in if not (is there enough space to get your hand through?)? How do you tighten if so (by hand?) ? What do you use to tighten the screw (looks like proprietary screw)? TIA

For those that did DIY.....Is it possible to install the homelink module w/ bracket to oem location without taking the bumper off? Do you have to reach around to put the screw in if not (is there enough space to get your hand through?)? How do you tighten if so (by hand?) ? What do you use to tighten the screw (looks like proprietary screw)? TIA
On my 2022 Model 3, there was no way to put it in the oem location without pulling the bumper. I tried and tried then decided to pull the front bumper and do it right.

Also used vice grips to tighten the screw. I don’t have the right size.

IMHO, there is no significant advantage to installing at the OEM location and there is chance of breaking clips/fasteners, USS connectors, etc while removing/replacing the bumper fascia. It takes a lot of time too.

I've simply placed the HL module behind the front bumper crash beam within the frunk. Works the same.