Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did my first tire rotation on MYLR and took about an hour (front-to-back rotation). I used a Torin 3T low profile jack from Costco and lifted the front tire about 6 inches which will also lifted the rear tire about 1 inch. I used a homemade jack pad which is basically a hockey puck with a plastic centering nipple screwed into the puck. The Torin jack was solid and I wouldn't recommend trying this will a cheap or under-weighted jack as the car is heavy and the entire side of the car is being lifted.

mylrjacked.jpg

Just did my first tire rotation on MYLR and took about an hour (front-to-back rotation). I used a Torin 3T low profile jack from Costco and lifted the front tire about 6 inches which will also lifted the rear tire about 1 inch. I used a homemade jack pad which is basically a hockey puck with a plastic centering nipple screwed into the puck. The Torin jack was solid and I wouldn't recommend trying this will a cheap or under-weighted jack as the car is heavy and the entire side of the car is being lifted.

View attachment 789328
This is the way! Good for you @Hippo25 , I too do my own rotations on our Y's. I use two jacks (one each side) and two jack stands with 4 pucks total. I really want the quickjack system but its not about the cost rather than hanging of the unit for very seldom use (and space for that in my normal sized garage).

Reactions: JDEWD250

View attachment 789328
This is the way to do it. I’ve been doing it like this for my model S with a Harbor Freight 3 ton floor Jack. Also don’t use those cheap lifting pucks on Amazon. They just squish under the weight of the car. I got some nice metal ones from eBay.
Something that helps is an impact wrench. I use the Ryobi 3 speed. Under $100 and has enough power to break loose the lugs. Also on the lower setting is gentle enough to tighten the lugs but not over tighten. Just finish with a torque wrench.

That puts a lot of stress on the body doing it that way. Good way to start squeaks.
This is how Tesla recommends you rotate your tires. Their battery pack is rigid enough to support the car lifting from one spot.
If you pay Tesla to rotate your tires, they will do it this way.
What data do you have that verifies this puts too much stress on the body?

This is how Tesla recommends you rotate your tires. Their battery pack is rigid enough to support the car lifting from one spot.
Yes, I believe one point lift is the recommended way. I was prepared to use two jacks and two pucks when I rotated my tires but quickly discovered that one point lifts both front and rear. I think it may be impossible to jack just one wheel off the ground actually from the puck points.

This is the way to do it. I’ve been doing it like this for my model S with a Harbor Freight 3 ton floor Jack. Also don’t use those cheap lifting pucks on Amazon. They just squish under the weight of the car. I got some nice metal ones from eBay.
Something that helps is an impact wrench. I use the Ryobi 3 speed. Under $100 and has enough power to break loose the lugs. Also on the lower setting is gentle enough to tighten the lugs but not over tighten. Just finish with a torque wrench.

What data do you have that verifies this puts too much stress on the body?
And Tesla is the reference standard for quality work? Lol. They are hacks. I let them do as little to my car as I absolutely have to. I think you just proved it’s a bad idea. Battery is not structural.

Lift points and jack pads are for 4 point lift arms.

And Tesla is the reference standard for quality work? Lol. They are hacks. I let them do as little to my car as I absolutely have to. I think you just proved it’s a bad idea. Battery is not structural.

Lift points and jack pads are for 4 point lift arms.

Yeah nice hot take. Throughout the history of cars, the prevailing advice has been to follow manufacturer's recommendations and advice when doing car maintenance. If Tesla says to do it, and Tesla does it themselves, its probably safe to do. But hey your car, if you wanna do it your way thats fine. Dont talk people out of doing it the Tesla way with zero evidence its bad for the car.

Yeah nice hot take. Throughout the history of cars, the prevailing advice has been to follow manufacturer's recommendations and advice when doing car maintenance. If Tesla says to do it, and Tesla does it themselves, its probably safe to do. But hey your car, if you wanna do it your way thats fine. Don't talk people out of doing it the Tesla way with zero evidence its bad for the car.
Where does Tesla say put a Jack under a corner and lift the entire side of the car?
Have you looked in the owners manual? I thought so.

The lift points are for LIFTS !!!

Where does Tesla say put a Jack under a corner and lift the entire side of the car?
Have you looked in the owners manual? I thought so.

The lift points are for LIFTS !!!
I’ve been using a puck and a 2-ton jack to do my rotations for 2 years. My brother has been doing it this way for 5 years. So do all of our Tesla friends. We all have enjoyed the jack and a puck being able to lift the car enough to be able to access both the front and rear tires.
Guess what? None of us have had a problem. No squeaks, no rattles, no bent frame etc.. we have all been fine.

Stop being a poo poo head will ya?

I’ve been using a puck and a 2-ton jack to do my rotations for 2 years. My brother has been doing it this way for 5 years. So do all of our Tesla friends. We all have enjoyed the jack and a puck being able to lift the car enough to be able to access both the front and rear tires.
Guess what? None of us have had a problem. No squeaks, no rattles, no bent frame etc.. we have all been fine.

Stop being a poo poo head will ya?
Those are serious stats. I guess everyone should be good then.

I'm still waiting to see Manufacturers Recommendation from @xyeahtony

Reactions: FlyerDude
I’d like you to confirm they only want the use of a Lift. Lol. Everyone has a 4 point lift in their garage, surely.
I see you bothered to look at the manual.

It only references a LIFT for lift points doesn’t it.

The pucks are primarily for LIFTS. Because the arms will hit the battery.

There is not a jack included with the car. There is no spare. And no instructions for using the jack Point at all with a single jack. Never mind lifting the whole side.

They sell pucks 4 at a time. For a lift.

I put all 4 pucks on before dropping off at tire shop. FOR THE LIFT. Not for some dope to jack up one corner.

Some hack pumps up on one side. And now it’s official. Everyone copies them and now it’s manufactured suggested.

Don’t go throwing me the B.S. that I have to prove anything. You can treat your car the way you want.

I’m warning others to consider not copying a bad hack.

You prove that Tesla recommends this and I’ll shut up. Not some mobile tech paid by the number tires he swaps. Not the number of panorama roofs that develop a stress crack. Or a squeak from a weld.

A lot of hobby mechanics will use two jacks if they don’t have a lift. Pros will use a lift. A hack will jack up one corner.