Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

dizziness or nausea from driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had a few things we noticed that could cause it. Both my wife and I notice our windshield has areas that distort our vision way more than any other car we have driven. We have also noticed this in our rear window. I don't know if it is the big angle the window is in at or if it is the glass, but everything is distorted out our back window. The comments on regen are accurate also. One of our big ones that went away shortly after getting the car is the lack of noise and how your brain has to adapt. Our brains are so used to feeling acceleration at the same time as hearing the engine. This was something that took a few days to get used to for us.

yes, i also experienced motion sickness the first few days after i received my car. what did it for me was the quick acceleration and then regen breaking. you will learn to decelerate with the foot pedal in addition to regen and it goes away!

We had the same problem when we took delivery. The new car smell was so strong it was nauseating. Had to leave the windows open in the garage for a few weeks to let it air out. Now my wife only complains of whiplash from acceleration.
This is odd to hear. My g/f has a strong sensitivity to smell and asthma and one of the things she's liked about every Tesla she's been in is that it doesn't have the new car smell that other vehicles have. Can you tell us more about your configuration (leather?, not, etc.) and delivery date? Maybe something's changed recently.

Thanks.

I see a lot of speculation that it could be from accelerating, but I would like to know under what conditions is the OP getting sick? Is it happening under hard acceleration, driving on the freeway, just sitting in the car? It could be a lot of things, but I'd like to know a bit more when it's happening.

On my test drive in a P85D the first launch instantly gave me a motion-sickness-induced headache. (Oddity with me ... motion sickness doesn't really cause nausea, but instead gives me the equivalent of an incapacitating migraine headache).

This was one of the reasons I ended up ordering an 85D instead of a P85D. I figured I would never use the max acceleration.

However, after driving the 85D (and some P85D loaners) for several months now I've gotten used to it and max acceleration is now very fun.

I believe the key item that causes this in many people is that the Tesla is capable of a step-change in acceleration. In an ICE, even a powerful one, the acceleration ramps up from 0 over a 1-2 second period. In a P85D, the measured acceleration can go from 0 to 1.1G nearly instantaneously (less than 100 msec). Similarly in braking, an ICE goes from positive acceleration to negative acceleration over a 1-2 second period, whereas the Tesla can go from full acceleration to full regen in a much shorter period of time.

This is completely foreign to the equilibrium and balance systems and will immediately cause motion sickness in individuals that are not used to it.

Thanks, guys. My wife has complained a couple times about nausea in my car. She does get seasick on boats, so, I figured it was similar. It was almost always when we were exiting a highway and she was looking at her phone. The deceleration and lateral GS with no sound or eye input must be causing it. I've been warning her before exiting to look up and quit playing solitaire :-D

Sounds like air pressure. Model S does not have sufficient pressure equalization vents so minor changes can produce significant air pressure problems. The most likely is the rear hatch is not tight enough so bounces up and down a bit creating quick and significant changes in pressure and this will often cause nausea. This is a well known problem within Tesla. Take it in to your SC and they can adjust the rear hatch stops until this no longer happens.

Yes it happened to me in the first 2 days of ownership. I think it's due to the sudden acceleration and deceleration. It went away after about 2 days. Also you will begin to drive smoother as you get used to how the car moves (especially how much to press the pedal).

Sounds like air pressure. Model S does not have sufficient pressure equalization vents so minor changes can produce significant air pressure problems. The most likely is the rear hatch is not tight enough so bounces up and down a bit creating quick and significant changes in pressure and this will often cause nausea. This is a well known problem within Tesla. Take it in to your SC and they can adjust the rear hatch stops until this no longer happens.

Second that