Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I buy the Y or keep my S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

Hoping you don’t mind if I ask for some opinions here. I leased a 2017 model S 75D three years ago now and my lease will be up soon, and my original plan was to buy it out at the end. We’re now a family of three, about to be four in June, and I’m worried a bit about space. There are a lot of great features in both cars so I’m hoping to skim your brains for opinions and logic. (I know preferences are always different for different people but I like to research any how).

I paid for the autopilot upgrade and FSD when they were offering the free hardware upgrades for users to HW3, and I’ve confirmed with my local parts center my car does indeed qualify for the upgrade when it’s available.
I also currently have unlimited supercharging.

the Y is beautiful and has a lot of great new features and tech my current car doesn’t, but mine has a lot of luxury features I guess the Y may not?

Ive since preordered a Y thanks to the news of the earning call, I “preordered” the Performance performance edition but I’m still a little worried or on the fence and so I’d love any thoughts you’d be willing to share.

my current model S:
75D with 21” wheels and the unlock on the motors, premium interior with sound upgrades and Ap FSD.

thanks again everyone!

I'd keep the S. Especially since you've already dropped some cash for upgrades. The only way I'd give up the S is if you're trading for an X. Don't get me wrong, the Y is great, but since space is your concern, you're basically going the opposite direction if you're giving up the S for a Y.

For some reason, that just sounded like an Algebra problem. LOL

:D

I'd keep the S. Especially since you've already dropped some cash for upgrades. The only way I'd give up the S is if you're trading for an X. Don't get me wrong, the Y is great, but since space is your concern, you're basically going the opposite direction if you're giving up the S for a Y.

For some reason, that just sounded like an Algebra problem. LOL

:D

For sure and this was definitely the route I was leaning, I’m just worried about safety comparisons with the new and old hardware as far as AP FSD advantages. When I stopped by my local showroom they asked if I’d consider rolling into a new S which, isn’t outside of possibility I suppose. I’m hoping to get a chance to sit and maybe even drive one before I fully choose.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kahukura
Hi everyone!

Hoping you don’t mind if I ask for some opinions here. I leased a 2017 model S 75D three years ago now and my lease will be up soon, and my original plan was to buy it out at the end. We’re now a family of three, about to be four in June, and I’m worried a bit about space.
My daughter has two small children and when they visit from NY, I pick them up 42 miles away at LAX. So, three adults, luggage for 4 people (even without using the frunk), and two car seats, fit comfortably in my MS.

If you were retirement age, I might suggest Y just because of easier ingress/egress.

For sure and this was definitely the route I was leaning, I’m just worried about safety comparisons with the new and old hardware as far as AP FSD advantages. When I stopped by my local showroom they asked if I’d consider rolling into a new S which, isn’t outside of possibility I suppose. I’m hoping to get a chance to sit and maybe even drive one before I fully choose.

We have AP1 on our 2016 Model S and most recent hardware with FSD on our 2019 Model X. From a seat of the pants observation, I still feel more comfortable with my AP1 MS than the FSD capable, most recent hardware MX.

I get phantom braking on the X and haven't gotten those on the S. Also, when passing Semi's on the highway, the MS is more sure footed and the MX tends to wander and lean closer to the Semi which causes some white knuckles for me.

The only thing I wish my MS has are Gen2 seats and the latest infotainment options like theater, etc. But I have my phone for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Check out this website illustrating interior space differences between Model 3 and S. Assuming Model Y will be at least the same if not better than Model 3, it will be very comparable to the Model S in terms of interior room.

How does Tesla's Model 3 interior space compare to Model S and X?

I think you are on the right path with looking at the Model Y. Lots of advantages -

-IMO (assuming same as Model 3) - better seats, sound system, steering wheel
-Updated AP hardware
-Faster MCU2
-More range
-2170 battery efficiency
-250kw Supercharging
-Larger cargo space in Y (66 cu ft vs. 28 cu ft)
-Easier getting kids into car seats (Model S roofline sucks for this)

Someone on the forum recently posted that they had the chance to sit in a 5-seater Model Y that a friend of theirs who worked for Tesla was driving around one evening. This person said that the second row passenger room in the Y felt more spacious that the second row in the Model X, presumably because the roof of the Y isn't burdened with falcon wing door hardware. I was most impressed with this point. We love our S but having two sedans (S and 3) just isn't as logistically flexible as having a sedan and an SUV, yet we haven't been able to justify the cost of an X to ourselves.

The Y might just be the thing to replace our S, which now has over 100k miles. The only problem is my wife LOVES the S. Loves. Loves. Loves her S. We've settled in to her driving the S almost exclusively while I drive the 3 (which I prefer due to smaller size and tighter handling).

Reactions: IdaX and pilotSteve
@Rockster that was me. Too funny that my wife and I share the same feelings on our S and 3 as you and yours. Are you also much more comfy with AP?

I bet the Y will have similar interior volume to the S - smaller footprint but taller. As for the airy feeling in the Y it’s more than the lack of FWD hardware now that I think about it. The roof of the 3 is cross braced above the driver’s head, in the typical field of view of a rear seat passenger. The Y is cross braced behind the middle row at the front edge of the hatch, out of the middle row view. It’s going to be a very compelling vehicle for many and Tesla will sell a million.

Not sure why you would upgrade to FSD on an expiring lease..

Maybe chargeback that upgrade if you can't get it refunded and order a Model Y?

I’ll have to ask if that’s even feasible but I don’t think so. My reasoning was at the time Of purchase, the Y wasn’t yet announced and the original plan was to buy out the car from my lease as we were planning on staying a family of three. A lot has changed since then and inspired my new conundrum. :)