TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do I need a new FasTrak responder?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Trevor B, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

I'm just using what I had on my older car (which I have since sold).

Do I need to let FasTrak know/get a new one perhaps?

The new ones have a smaller sleek profile compared to what I have from circa 2006 :cool:

2. tjkessler

tjkessler Member

You can just go to the FasTrak website and change the license plate(s) associated with the transponder.
    You might want to get one of the new ones with the 1-2-3 passenger setting that's a lot smaller anyway.
    They'll give you credit if you mail the old one back.

• Like x 1
  3. dek526

dek526 Member

you can head into a express lane customer center and exchange the old one. an even easier way is to just request a new one. do recommend djkessler’s advice and remove old plate from your account immediately

4. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

I have not used my physical Fastrak for years, Im not even sure where it is, I always do it by plate on the website. You can even forget and add it up to 30 days later.

5. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Thanks for the responses, will do.

@doubleatheman Are you saying we don't need to have the transponder in the car?

• Love x 1
  6. tjkessler

tjkessler Member

You need the transponder for parking and for express lanes. For bridges they'll read your license plate.

• Informative x 1
  7. debuggr

debuggr Member

+1 I abandoned my transponder when it wouldn’t work through the Model S windshield. I’ve had no issues with billing by license plate.

8. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

if you're using the 91 in riverside/orange county primarily, yes. i have a transponder for my volt, but i need to get a new one (and open a new account) in order to be able to get the free access to the 91 express lanes that they allow for full BEV / zero emissions vehicles.

9. irwiny

irwiny Member

I'm in the Bay Area and called Fastrak (877-229-8655) and they updated my information with regards to adding the Model 3. If you have a credit card attached to your account, they can send you up to 3 new units (FLEX model) and charge you a 30 deposit ( need to return back the old one after the new one arrives).

The New FLEX model I got is smaller is about the size of a snickers candy bar and has a 1-2-3 selector.

Irwin

10. jrmnet

jrmnet Member

What is the purpose of the selector?

11. dek526

dek526 Member

depending on which toll road you’re driving on ... the number of riders can mean no toll charges to promote carpooling

12. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

You can change the plate numbers online. The newer transponders are literally half the size of the old ones, and as stated have the "1-2-3" passenger setting. You can request a postage-paid return mailer. If you don't want to have to go in person to one of their offices, you can do it all through the mail and online.

13. bradhs

bradhs Member

Does the transponder work through the front glass or is it the same as the Model S front windshield?

14. dek526

dek526 Member

mine did...simply placed on the dash and haven’t had issues

• Informative x 1
  15. gambit48

gambit48 Member

This. And some bridges/tolls at least have discounts if they don't do free.

Not a lot, but it doesn't hurt to have the new one. I had no idea about the discounted tolls. I'm in the midst of exchanging for primarily this reason.

The much smaller size doesn't hurt either.

In the past, I used to just let them read my plates as I don't think there was a difference in price and I didn't want to stick anything to my windshield.

16. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

How does the new transponder look?
    I have the old square one that had the selector for 1,2 or 3 riders

17. Fusion

Fusion Member

Could someone post a picture of the new transponders? Can't find any pictures of the new ones. You figure they would put some pictures of the new ones on their website. I got the second generation one and from what I'm hearing the current 3rd generation one is even smaller.

18. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

What’s the second generation?

19. ooandyoo

ooandyoo Member

The new ones are significantly smaller. I had mine placed in the corner but it kept sliding around whenever I make a hard turn. I ended up plastidipping the back of it (the side that faces the inside) and mounting it to the window next to the rear view mirror. Its barely noticeable from the inside now.

20. RayK

RayK Member