Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need a new FasTrak responder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you're using the 91 in riverside/orange county primarily, yes. i have a transponder for my volt, but i need to get a new one (and open a new account) in order to be able to get the free access to the 91 express lanes that they allow for full BEV / zero emissions vehicles.

I'm in the Bay Area and called Fastrak (877-229-8655) and they updated my information with regards to adding the Model 3. If you have a credit card attached to your account, they can send you up to 3 new units (FLEX model) and charge you a 30 deposit ( need to return back the old one after the new one arrives).

The New FLEX model I got is smaller is about the size of a snickers candy bar and has a 1-2-3 selector.

Irwin

I'm in the Bay Area and called Fastrak (877-229-8655) and they updated my information with regards to adding the Model 3. If you have a credit card attached to your account, they can send you up to 3 new units (FLEX model) and charge you a 30 deposit ( need to return back the old one after the new one arrives).

The New FLEX model I got is smaller is about the size of a snickers candy bar and has a 1-2-3 selector.

Irwin
What is the purpose of the selector?

You can change the plate numbers online. The newer transponders are literally half the size of the old ones, and as stated have the "1-2-3" passenger setting. You can request a postage-paid return mailer. If you don't want to have to go in person to one of their offices, you can do it all through the mail and online.

depending on which toll road you’re driving on ... the number of riders can mean no toll charges to promote carpooling

This. And some bridges/tolls at least have discounts if they don't do free.

Not a lot, but it doesn't hurt to have the new one. I had no idea about the discounted tolls. I'm in the midst of exchanging for primarily this reason.

The much smaller size doesn't hurt either.

In the past, I used to just let them read my plates as I don't think there was a difference in price and I didn't want to stick anything to my windshield.

Could someone post a picture of the new transponders? Can't find any pictures of the new ones. You figure they would put some pictures of the new ones on their website. I got the second generation one and from what I'm hearing the current 3rd generation one is even smaller.

The new ones are significantly smaller. I had mine placed in the corner but it kept sliding around whenever I make a hard turn. I ended up plastidipping the back of it (the side that faces the inside) and mounting it to the window next to the rear view mirror. Its barely noticeable from the inside now.