Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Model 3’s get free Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe orders placed for the Model 3 Dual Motor by September 15 or 16 get free lifetime superchargeing.

That is a dual motor.

I know. The only Model 3 with a badge on the trunk is the Performance Model, and it’s designated “Dual Motor.”

Dude just stop. All Performance Model 3s are dual motor, but not all dual motor model 3s are performance models. Just like All Model S/X are dual motor, but not all model S/X are performance versions. is that such a difficult concept to grasp? Just admit your'e wrong and move on.

The wording on tesla's website says performance model 3

And if there's any confusion, yes there is a difference between a dual motor model 3 and a performance model 3....a $10k difference.
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 9.29.53 PM.png

So you're going to have to fork out that $10k, and get a referral if you want free supercharging for your model 3.

and in case there's any confusion:
Referral Program

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 9.31.07 PM.png

"Model 3 Performance" not "Model 3 Dual motor"

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and hoang51
Dude just stop. All Performance Model 3s are dual motor, but not all dual motor model 3s are performance models. Just like All Model S/X are dual motor, but not all model S/X are performance versions. is that such a difficult concept to grasp? Just admit your'e wrong and move on.

The wording on tesla's website says performance model 3

And if there's any confusion, yes there is a difference between a dual motor model 3 and a performance model 3....a $10k difference.
View attachment 330511

So you're going to have to fork out that $10k, and get a referral if you want free supercharging for your model 3.

and in case there's any confusion:
Referral Program

View attachment 330512

"Model 3 Performance" not "Model 3 Dual motor"

No referral needed for existing Performance owners.

Tesla clarified in the frequently asked questions that the change was to be applied retroactively, granting all Tesla Model 3 Performance vehicles ordered so far ( As of August 2nd ) lifetime free Supercharging.

I am a current owner of a Model 3 Performance. Will I be eligible for free, unlimited Supercharging?

Yes. Existing Model 3 Performance owners will receive free, unlimited Supercharging. Please allow three weeks for the change to be applied to your vehicle account. Existing Model 3 Performance owners will also be able to offer free, unlimited Supercharging with to new Model S, Model X and Model 3 Performance orders.

Tesla Adds Lifetime Free Supercharging For All Model 3 Performance Owners | CleanTechnica

No referral needed for existing Performance owners.

Tesla clarified in the frequently asked questions that the change was to be applied retroactively, granting all Tesla Model 3 Performance vehicles ordered so far ( As of August 2nd ) lifetime free Supercharging.

I am a current owner of a Model 3 Performance. Will I be eligible for free, unlimited Supercharging?

Yes. Existing Model 3 Performance owners will receive free, unlimited Supercharging. Please allow three weeks for the change to be applied to your vehicle account. Existing Model 3 Performance owners will also be able to offer free, unlimited Supercharging with to new Model S, Model X and Model 3 Performance orders.

Tesla Adds Lifetime Free Supercharging For All Model 3 Performance Owners | CleanTechnica

All Model 3 Performance orders placed before August 1, 2018 will be given unlimited Supercharging, no referral required.
Referral Program

Yes Tesla gave free supecharging retroactively to people with performance model 3s before the free supercharging was announced for them, to make it fair. but orders after Aug 2 do require referral for the free supercharging. Everyone's referral page has a Model 3 Performance link on it.

I'm not surprised that this question was asked because I was met by a 2017 Tesla Model S owner who talked to other Tesla Model 3 owners who gave him questionable answers to the same question you're asking, while I was Supercharging. I'm confirming that I do receive free Supercharging for my Tesla Model 3 Performance, and it was less than 3 weeks wait to get it enabled for my car. I actually got it enabled before I took delivery of my car. I placed my order before the August referral requirement. Any other Tesla Model 3 variants, do not get free Supercharging... Unless you do this unethical hack...

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I’m a RWD long range batt Model 3 owner (delivery in May 2018 before dual motor or performance were options) that paid each time I Supercharged until August. I went once because I was curious: paid $11. Went another time because my wife was curious what it’s like: paid $11. Went a third time because of a road trip and needed it: paid $10. This is all in my account history online. Then we’ve been 2 times since and haven’t been charged. *Head scratching* So I just checked my account again, still only 3 times and charges listed. Strange. Then I went to my car details section and it shows “Free Unlimited Supercharging”!!! What the freak? I can’t find anything online about us LR RWD only Model ≡ owners getting free supercharging since maybe August 2018 or so? Anyone heard of this? I hope I don’t lose it, but man this was a sweet surprise.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I’m a RWD long range batt Model 3 owner (delivery in May 2018 before dual motor or performance were options) that paid each time I Supercharged until August. I went once because I was curious: paid $11. Went another time because my wife was curious what it’s like: paid $11. Went a third time because of a road trip and needed it: paid $10. This is all in my account history online. Then we’ve been 2 times since and haven’t been charged. *Head scratching* So I just checked my account again, still only 3 times and charges listed. Strange. Then I went to my car details section and it shows “Free Unlimited Supercharging”!!! What the freak? I can’t find anything online about us LR RWD only Model ≡ owners getting free supercharging since maybe August 2018 or so? Anyone heard of this? I hope I don’t lose it, but man this was a sweet surprise.

I believe they likely enabled this for people due to the fires. Since your location shows los angeles here in on TMC, thats the likely reason you have it on your account. I would expect that at some point it will go away.

Is it just me? Free Cali charging

I thought when Tesla gives free SC for disasters it's done by area (ie all superchargers in X radius have billing turned off)... not BY CAR.

By car wouldn't make much sense since how would they know if someone who lives in another state was in the disaster area at the time, or vice versa?