Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do new Model S's and X's in New Zealand come with the web browser enabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if any of the recent NZ new owners (i.e. officially delivered to NZ) can tell me if the have the web browser enabled?

I ask this because at the launch event in Auckland last month I noticed that the Model S that I sat in that was on display for the public to play with had the web browser icon in the menu bar.

My MS was imported from Australia and has no web browser.

Also.....there was discussion that some sort of garage door opening solution was going to be implemented. Any ideas on that? Do all cars have the Homelink hardware but are just software disabled? I know you can get 3rd party Homelink receivers that you can piggy back on to most garage door openers.

Cheers, Marty.

I asked the service manager in Sydney about the garage door opener. He has heard nothing yet but promised to ask. I have had no further feedback. The hardware for homelink was NOT installed on my car although the mounting point and harness plug is there.

So...I spoke to the NZ ranger yesterday and he confirmed NZ new Teslas DO have the web browser.

It's the Teslas imported from Australia the have the web browser disabled, even though they are in NZ. This is because the 'system' thinks they are Australian and still disable the browser.....grrrr.

But he did say Tesla are aware of the issue and will eventually change the country code from Australia to NZ which will enable the browser. So hold tight NZ import owners.

Marty.

• Informative
Reactions: Miggy and Canuck
So...I spoke to the NZ ranger yesterday and he confirmed NZ new Teslas DO have the web browser.

It's the Teslas imported from Australia the have the web browser disabled, even though they are in NZ. This is because the 'system' thinks they are Australian and still disable the browser.....grrrr.

But he did say Tesla are aware of the issue and will eventually change the country code from Australia to NZ which will enable the browser. So hold tight NZ import owners.

Marty.

Awesome news...

Marty.

Awesome news...

Why is the browser disabled in Oz? I can understand it being disabled whilst driving but whilst stationary (or with the "engine" off :p).

We've requested the same to Tesla (on several occasions). I suggest you do the same (the more people ask, the higher priority the issue gets, I assume).

From my understanding, Tesla don't currently have the ability to configure a feature enabled/disabled depending on whether the vehicle is parked or not. It would be a useful feature for several territories.

I'll ask...hey Tesla why can't you enable the browser in Oz?

As for not being able to enable or disable a feature based on being parked or not...so they can throw together some code & the car can drive itself but motion based browser deactivation too difficult? Hmm.

My last two cars have been able to detect when I am driving (motion) and have disabled typing text into the touchscreen for navigation and other other functions. I see no reason why Tesla couldn't do the same. I guess in Oz we're no trusted on to read a webpage whilst driving.

I don't receive my X until May so I guess I can't really ask Tesla yet but will as soon as I take delivery.

Are you able to type on the touchscreen for other uses like searching for music whilst driving?

My last two cars have been able to detect when I am driving (motion) and have disabled typing text into the touchscreen for navigation and other other functions. I see no reason why Tesla couldn't do the same. I guess in Oz we're no trusted on to read a webpage whilst driving.

I don't receive my X until May so I guess I can't really ask Tesla yet but will as soon as I take delivery.

Are you able to type on the touchscreen for other uses like searching for music whilst driving?
Yes

Its my understanding the center screen has a speed input in its rear harness. Could the code be rewritten to monitor this and the park brake input signal? Yes. Will Tesla be able to do it and still meet AU regulations No.
The Australian design rules say "
42.16.2.Restriction on Visibility of Screen

Unless a driver’s aid, all television receivers or visual display units must be installed so that no part of the image on the screen is visible to the driver from the normal driving position".

So basically nav is ok but other items i.e web browsers nope.

Its also the reason for restrictions on inputing address, phone numbers ect.. on some manufacturers systems.

Would I prefer it was operational at rest/low speed, heck yes. Very easy to bypass/trick into thinking you are <5 kph.

I have no doubt that Tesla can do this. But they also probably have 1,000+ items on their list of things they want to do. The question is how to get them to move this item nearer the top of the list, when a browser in a few small markets is not that important in the greater scheme of things.

[email protected]
or [email protected]
Having spent three weeks driving in the US with a browser, I would rate the usefulness as about minus ten.
Would much rather use my phone.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Rawbznz and Tozla
Having spent three weeks driving in the US with a browser, I would rate the usefulness as about minus ten.
Would much rather use my phone.

Interesting. Having only been in a Tesla for a test drive and "in store" the big screen and the ability to potentially view websites on it is cool but I could see it being a bit of a novelty. In reality I would probably just use my phone like you said. At home I prefer to use my iPhone over my iPad when sitting on the couch and browsing while watching TV.

Interesting. Having only been in a Tesla for a test drive and "in store" the big screen and the ability to potentially view websites on it is cool but I could see it being a bit of a novelty. In reality I would probably just use my phone like you said. At home I prefer to use my iPhone over my iPad when sitting on the couch and browsing while watching TV.

I'd only really use the browser for running Web Apps.

Its my understanding the center screen has a speed input in its rear harness. Could the code be rewritten to monitor this and the park brake input signal? Yes. Will Tesla be able to do it and still meet AU regulations No.
The Australian design rules say "
42.16.2.Restriction on Visibility of Screen

Unless a driver’s aid, all television receivers or visual display units must be installed so that no part of the image on the screen is visible to the driver from the normal driving position".

So basically nav is ok but other items i.e web browsers nope.

Its also the reason for restrictions on inputing address, phone numbers ect.. on some manufacturers systems.

Would I prefer it was operational at rest/low speed, heck yes. Very easy to bypass/trick into thinking you are <5 kph.

I have been in at least two cars that will play a DVD or display TV on the centre screen (visible to the driver) when stationary, but then cut out when you start moving. They were factory fitted systems not some after market add on.

Reactions: championi
Most manufacturers actualy have their nav systems set up as you describe.
Interestingly on a lot of them, you can not have your passenger enter a destination into the nav whilst in motion.
However the wording has not changed on the ADR in this time.