Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not use automatic car wash!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious but is this the same for other vehicles or does Tesla use a paint that's more suseptible to swirling?
Well there's a can of worms...

There are lots of people who insist that Tesla's paint is softer than any other auto-maker's paint, they claim that California's strict environmental rules wouldn't allow Tesla to use decent paint.
There are a whole bunch of other people who say there's no proof of this whatsoever and the paint is just as good as on any other car.

You do NOT want to stand between these two groups of people...

Well there's a can of worms...

There are lots of people who insist that Tesla's paint is softer than any other auto-maker's paint, they claim that California's strict environmental rules wouldn't allow Tesla to use decent paint.
There are a whole bunch of other people who say there's no proof of this whatsoever and the paint is just as good as on any other car.

that is one of the better summaries I've seen, heh

Oh my that's for sure. Religious War breaks out over this.
I'm an automatic wash infidel, I got White because I knew I lack the discipline that the gorgeous Black or Deep Blue deserve, got Pearl Multi-Coat to class it up, and CQuartz Finest to improve the odds for my poor abused car. [emoji2]
Blue Wave is delighted to see us roll up and $6 makes her look FANTASTIC again.

Oh and I park Pearlie May in my driveway ... under a pine tree. I will submit to my flogging now.

Last edited:
Infidel here too, and my basic black P85 visits Utopia Car wash in Fremont about 1/week. Monthly like $35 unlimited access. Frequently get upgrade class service for free. No issues with my paint and the workers drying and tidying up after the wash do a great job.

Basic black paint and no issues for me with automatic wash. Vive la infidel!

if you use automatic car washes you might as well just take a baseball bat to your car. both will damage the hell out of your paint and make it look like crap. for a $3 automatic car wash, you just set yourself up for a $1000 paint repair.

Well, I bought my car to drive, not put on a pedestal. I have racked up 65,000 miles in under 3 years and drive in every Canadian road and weather condition imaginable. And while I enjoy spending a summer Saturday hand washing my cars, they go through automatic washes as soon as the garden hose gets put away. Do I have swirls in the paint? Probably if you look close enough, and maybe I'll spring for a good clay bar and detail job when the weather turns nice again, but I hardly think it looks like "crap" and certainly looks better than this:

IMG_1622.JPG

To my knowledge, my car's been washed by hand exactly once: when I had it detailed after delivery. 2 years later, still shiny. Far fewer swirls than my neighbor's P85D who hand washes. I just got a compliment on how fantastic it looks last week, actually. Clearly automatic (touchless) washes are not damaging the hell out of my paint or making it look like crap.

Well, I bought my car to drive, not put on a pedestal. I have racked up 65,000 miles in under 3 years and drive in every Canadian road and weather condition imaginable. And while I enjoy spending a summer Saturday hand washing my cars, they go through automatic washes as soon as the garden hose gets put away. Do I have swirls in the paint? Probably if you look close enough, and maybe I'll spring for a good clay bar and detail job when the weather turns nice again, but I hardly think it looks like "crap" and certainly looks better than this:

View attachment 103644

Thanks for posting that picture. Now I don't feel nearly as bad as how my car looks after the last storm. :)

BTW, folks here sure can get passionate about their cars...