Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not want AP bundle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only part of AP that I have any use for is the adaptive cruise control. It's rather frustrating to have to buy additional features that are of limited value, when everything is software configured. Collision avoidance is standard, so we know the required hardware is in operation. Why not an option for just TACC? I'd pay a grand for it. We will be doing almost all of our driving in moderately heavy urban traffic and all the rest of the AP capabilities are not needed.

The only part of AP that I have any use for is the adaptive cruise control. It's rather frustrating to have to buy additional features that are of limited value, when everything is software configured. Collision avoidance is standard, so we know the required hardware is in operation. Why not an option for just TACC? I'd pay a grand for it. We will be doing almost all of our driving in moderately heavy urban traffic and all the rest of the AP capabilities are not needed.

Until there is such a thing as 100% self driving I'm with you on this.

I wish they broke out the pieces as well.
It would also be nice if they offered it as a service.... I'd be willing to pay for AP per mile for the few times each year I go on a road trip on an open interstate highway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
You may not think you "need" the other features of AP right now but surely they would still be nice to have, no? Are you really saying that you would never benefit any time from auto steer or auto park? I find that hard to believe.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big-T and Ti3034
It would be nice to break down each segment of autopilot and price accordingly and also have a bundle price as well. Since everything is able to be software activated I would think it wouldn't be that difficult. I; however, will be going with the 5K enhanced autopilot package because I love all the features. Just not the FSD yet.

Sorry. I do try to respect different opinions. But, I could never just want TAAC alone. It is hard for me to fathom someone not wanting all of AP since it is so amazing.

Personally I look at it like this, the car can drive itself to some degree. Only not legally or even technically, as you have to have your hands on the wheel and be at the ready the whole time. It's just not developed enough for me to want to use it. I'd rather know that I'm in control like a conventional vehicle until it's more mature and ready for the world. It's not FSD yet so I'll pass. I'm not interested in being a beta tester even if we are closer to FSD than 6 months ago. The features you first mentioned are nice, just not worth 5-8 grand to me.

Reactions: Lunarx
TACC - at least on on my AP1 Model S - is without a doubt the single best feature on my car. By this I mean the most useful, reliable and comfortable one. Sure Autosteer, zero to sixty, home charging, the spaciousness and looks of my car is totally awesome. Together of course they trump TACC. But if I had to single out the number one top favorite feature, it would be TACC, period. I use it literally every time I drive.

TACC - at least on on my AP1 Model S - is without a doubt the single best feature on my car. By this I mean the most useful, reliable and comfortable one. Sure Autosteer, zero to sixty, home charging, the spaciousness and looks of my car is totally awesome. Together of course they trump TACC. But if I had to single out the number one top favorite feature, it would be TACC, period. I use it literally every time I drive.
Yes, TACC is just about the only AP feature I use on a regular basis. I use Autosteer occasionally just to do something interesting on a long drive sometimes. Is it a fatigue-busting wonder? Not in my opinion. I have to concentrate harder on making sure it doesn't screw up than I do on making sure I don't screw up when I'm steering..

AutoPark? Never used it and unlikely I will. I don't park next to other cars. I think I have seen the "P" show up a couple of times, but never when I was trying to test it. User error, no doubt. But I just don't park in places where it might be useful.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I take comfort that it is an over-the-air update, or worst case I need to make an appointment and have the service center update it. But right now the Model 3 isn't going to be used in a way that even using TACC is common, so not worrying about it.

If I regularly had to deal with traffic (IE: Portland OR rush hours like I assume the OP does) then I'd get the AP. Having the autosteer on those roads will be handy.

That would be very irrational to break it out as a standalone option - there is far more demand than supply for the car - the logical move for now is to bundle options to maximize revenue - even if you in particular don't want the bundle and won't pay for it many more will and by unbundling they would reduce the number of people paying for all of it. Later when demand and supply balance out more then it would make sense to unbundle options.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Enough to pay $5k for? Meh.

Second that comment. Not purchasing either. Perhaps if I lived in a City, i could see some value in auto-park. But in the wide open SoCal 'burbs with massive parking lots? Not valuable to this customer.

You may not want /use it, but the person who eventually buys your car just might.

Depreciation is never good. But it can always be worse.

Perhaps true, but the rapidly evolving technology may make even the $5k almost worthless in a few years.