Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do RWD vehicles also have potential for a performance increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I've seen several threads and even a couple of petitions asking for a software unlock to move the AWD acceleration closer the the performance. I am of the belief that Tesla can and should offer a paid acceleration boost for not just AWD, but any version of any Tesla vehicle that has room to accelerate faster than the current software allows. I would think that this would be all versions of the model 3, as the price structure seems to suggest that they're all somewhat nerfed (save for maybe the performance version).

I know it's a polarizing topic to discuss how much one buyer paid vs another. But I think we can all agree that Tesla and its buyers would both only benefit from a transparent way to boost performance for buyers who want to do so post delivery. If there is extra power in the vehicle that can be unleashed at no cost to Tesla, and buyers who are happy to put pure profit into the company's pockets, I just don't see the downside. I'd be willing to pay $2-4K assuming I could get my LR RWD to do 0-60 in roughly 4.0, and I'd pay more for even more speed. If there less power available, ok, but let us have what's there if we're willing to pay, even if it's a little less than the next tier up has. The fact they they haven't told us if something like this can be done only adds to the speculation that it's possible. So if it's not, let us know that too and we can all stop wishing for something that's never going to happen.
While I agree with you and would be willing to pay more for some speed, would you be willing to take a reduced warranty to do it?

You said “at no cost to Tesla” but there would be if the warranty stayed the same.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've seen several threads and even a couple of petitions asking for a software unlock to move the AWD acceleration closer the the performance. I am of the belief that Tesla can and should offer a paid acceleration boost for not just AWD, but any version of any Tesla vehicle that has room to accelerate faster than the current software allows. I would think that this would be all versions of the model 3, as the price structure seems to suggest that they're all somewhat nerfed (save for maybe the performance version).

Depending on how long you've owned yours, you already got one. ;) If not, your vehicle already came with one. That roughly 5% HP bump some time back (I think the RWD was 5%? the AWD was closer to 8%).

The numbers that people have been able to piece together look a lot like the RWD already has effectively the P's rear end for power output, that the difference is the P also has the front drive unit. Where as the AWD has its rear drive unit throttled lower than the RWD (and the P).

There is also potentially something of an issue with being able to put much extra power on the ground since you're doing it with only 2 wheels (on an open differential).

Last edited:
Even people with 1000hp cars get used to the power. That's why this car thing is a terrible addiction that we just can't seem to get away from.
True.

My LR D still scares me a little bit, from time to time, with its acceleration and I can still appreciate it a lot of the time. But I'll admit that yes, there are times that I'm "come on now, this is all you've got?"

Last edited: