Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do strong magnets influence my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to buy a very strong magnet (that can carry 600kg) but I am afraid that it will somehow negatively influence my car when I lie it in the back. Maybe the batteries?

Does any of you know if it will negatively impact anything?

I am planning to buy a very strong magnet (that can carry 600kg) but I am afraid that it will somehow negatively influence my car when I lie it in the back. Maybe the batteries?

There is no way to really tell what effect that will have. I would suggest that the motors are actually the most vulnerable part to a strong external magnetic field. I wouldn't think the battery would care too much, as the internals are mostly aluminum, copper, and packing material, not much steel/iron.

I would load the magnet as far away from the motors as possible, and if possible load it with the magnetic field shorted -- for example, if it's a U-shaped magnet, see if you can place a steel plate across the poles so that the majority of the magnetic flux is channeled through the steel plate. This will significantly reduce leakage of the flux to the surrounding materials. Note that magnets that are this powerful will be extremely difficult to remove from a plate like this, so this may not be an option. You'll have to consult with the manufacturer of the magnet to find the recommended way to do this,

Upvote 0

I dont know, but I wouldnt put that in my car, I would pay someone to deliver it.

Upvote 0
Is it a permanent magnet or electromagnet?
If it's an electromagnet, as long as it's not energized it shouldn't have an effect.
It is a neodymiummagnet (permanent).

Upvote 0
That magnet isn't going to lift 1323 pounds. That description is just a poor layman's term of the force you'd measure between it and a small object stuck to it. If it were truly that powerful, we'd be in Breaking Bad electromagnet territory and it would probably destroy every car that tried to transport it lol

Also, the rear motor probably has stronger magnets in it than this one.

Just set it and forget it.

"350kg/450kg/600kg neodymium magnet fish salvage recovery magnet with 10m rope for detecting metal treasures

- Multiple use: The fish magnet is perfect for magnetic fishing, treasure hunting, underwater mountains and looking for something ancient and mysterious. Use the fish magnets to find some missing metal parts in your workshop or garden. - Super strength: the fish magnet Vertical powerful magnetic force concentrated on the bottom is 600 kg, other three surfaces are not magnetic. - Best quality: it is a super strong powerful magnet, which can be used for a long time. - Best coating: The nickel plating is the best coating of the fish magnet, it is not easily damaged and rusts. You could use it broadly."

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS and KenC
Upvote 0
Ha! When OP said "strong magnet" I was picturing something really powerful.

Those small Neodymium magnets will be packaged in a large box for safety and that'll be enough to keep the field so weak that it won't even stick to your fender. But to answer your question, magnetic force decreases so rapidly with distance (1/distance^2) that even an extremely large/strong magnet couldn't compete with any of the various magnetic systems in the car (motors, solenoids, hall sensors, etc.) so the worst-case scenario would just be an inaccurate navigation compass.

Screenshot 2022-01-31 121741.png

Upvote 0
Ha! When OP said "strong magnet" I was picturing something really powerful.

Those small Neodymium magnets will be packaged in a large box for safety and that'll be enough to keep the field so weak that it won't even stick to your fender. But to answer your question, magnetic force decreases so rapidly with distance (1/distance^2) that even an extremely large/strong magnet couldn't compete with any of the various magnetic systems in the car (motors, solenoids, hall sensors, etc.) so the worst-case scenario would just be an inaccurate navigation compass.

View attachment 762674
Thank you! After your answer I ordered the magnet!

Reactions: Red Ryder 3
Upvote 0