Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the headlights ruin the styling?

Do the headlights need work?

• Yes

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 102 86.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading the subject, I thought I had inadvertently clicked into the Nissan Leaf forum.

nissan-leaf-cutout-2.jpg
Wow. I didn't realize the traditional automobile manufacturer mandate of WHITE, BLUE, BLACK, and SILVER for plugin cars had extended to the LEAF as well. I wonder if they offer it in ORANGE as well...? Yes, they do...
maxresdefault.jpg

Ugly? Yeah, no disagreement there. But weren't they made so they redirect the wind away from side mirrors to avoid wind noise? So there's at least a reason for them being ugly.
They could have done an equally effective job reshaping the metal fender. The material is inconsequential. There was no need to smar the clear plastic housing up the side of the car, other than to say "look at me, I'm different! I'm electric!"

I think the headlights are fine. They look vaguely Porsche 996-esque. Which is perfectly fine me, even though that seems to upset some people.

Reactions: Red Sage
I was a little off-put by the headlights at first. The little jaggy bit in the middle is jarring and doesn't jive with Tesla's design language so far. It fits more with Porsche than anything. The headlights are also really far back onto the hood (a la Leaf) which isn't the greatest.

But I'm nitpicking there and when you take the rest of the car into account, it's a well-rounded design that is acceptable.

I love the S headlights and love the X headlights even more. Huge fan of the halo effect for daytime running lights. There haven't been any good shots of the 3's DRLs so it's hard to tell, but it looks like two thin lines going in crazy directions? Kinda like those Mercedes:

eclass5.jpg

I'm worried that they're too thin on the 3. They look kinda fragile. Not from a structural point of view, but they make the headlights look flimsy and I want my car to have a commanding presence. I'm OK with the design of the two lines, just would like to see them beefed up a bit. Also, neither the X nor S has two separate halos, so there's another inconsistency.

Again, I don't know if those lines are supposed to be DRLs or what. I sure hope the only DRL isn't that big white spot on the top. DRLs are a huge part of modern car styling these days since they're always on, but a lot of people don't seem to talk about them.

All in all, headlight design is passable. Doesn't blow my socks off like the S/X, but then again, I wouldn't expect it to since it's a cheaper car.

I absolutely love the model 3 headlights! They are really really beautiful! The design of the model 3 has really grown on me. That usually happens with new designs: at the start people are sceptic, then they get used to it, then they love it, then other designs start to look really old and dated and people wonder how they could have ever lived without the new design.
That is always the way it goes with quality design, and I trust the model 3 will follow the same path.

I truly hope they don't change the design to much, only the trunk can (and already did) recieve a small update.

I was a little off-put by the headlights at first. The little jaggy bit in the middle is jarring and doesn't jive with Tesla's design language so far. It fits more with Porsche than anything. The headlights are also really far back onto the hood (a la Leaf) which isn't the greatest.

But I'm nitpicking there and when you take the rest of the car into account, it's a well-rounded design that is acceptable.

I love the S headlights and love the X headlights even more. Huge fan of the halo effect for daytime running lights. There haven't been any good shots of the 3's DRLs so it's hard to tell, but it looks like two thin lines going in crazy directions? Kinda like those Mercedes:

I'm worried that they're too thin on the 3. They look kinda fragile. Not from a structural point of view, but they make the headlights look flimsy and I want my car to have a commanding presence. I'm OK with the design of the two lines, just would like to see them beefed up a bit. Also, neither the X nor S has two separate halos, so there's another inconsistency.

Again, I don't know if those lines are supposed to be DRLs or what. I sure hope the only DRL isn't that big white spot on the top. DRLs are a huge part of modern car styling these days since they're always on, but a lot of people don't seem to talk about them.

All in all, headlight design is passable. Doesn't blow my socks off like the S/X, but then again, I wouldn't expect it to since it's a cheaper car.
I'm not sure there is a halo effect at all on the 3 based on the pictures I've seen. I think those two thin lines you are seeing are just part of the structure of the headlight, but it's hard to tell because of the lack of good pics as you said.

Reactions: Red Sage
I don't care what Tesla does with the lights. Keep them the same or change them.

Just get rid of all of the DELAYS and missed promises. Geesh.
a little early to be talking about delays and missed promises. Tesla told us to expect Model ☰ to ship late 2017 - we have over a year before complaints about them being delayed should be made.

a little early to be talking about delays and missed promises. Tesla told us to expect Model ☰ to ship late 2017 - we have over a year before complaints about them being delayed should be made.
I'm obviously not talking about future delays.

I'm talking about past delays and missed promises.

Did you hear that there was a reveal that happened yesterday? Oh yeah...it was delayed till tomorrow.

Hey line waiters......do you have a pic of your exclusive gift that Elon said you would get? Oops...I forgot.....Tesla didn't send one.

Yes they were.
But for beauty's sake, couldn't they have come up with some better-looking method of taking care of wind noise? Does the Model S exhibit excessive mirror wind noise at highway speeds?
Full disclosure: I currently drive a 2012 Leaf.
4623330019_2a751d5498_o.jpg
It definitely has more than its fair share of wind and road noise but it is a little better then the Mercedes 300c loaner I have right now, it's a bumpy piece of junk. Also, cutting the engine at stoplights and starting the engine again it's a cool idea at all but it's poorly implemented noisy lurch fest.

Did you hear that there was a reveal that happened yesterday? Oh yeah...it was delayed till tomorrow.
Delaying a reveal by a couple of days is hardly worth getting upset over, if they need to take two more days because something else came up then that's the way it is.

Hey line waiters......do you have a pic of your exclusive gift that Elon said you would get? Oops...I forgot.....Tesla didn't send one.
Impatient much? Just because you haven't gotten one yet doesn't mean you won't. These things take time, heck they only recently finished sending the thank you cards and prints to all the reservation holders and you want you other gift right away? What if the other gift was something like the rumored scale model and couldn't even be started until the design was complete? That would take a few weeks to even get proofs back from whoever is making them, then they'd need to build a several thousand of them, then ship them out. Even more importantly, they may not want to send anything out that shows the final design until the second reveal.

I'm not sure there is a halo effect at all on the 3 based on the pictures I've seen. I think those two thin lines you are seeing are just part of the structure of the headlight, but it's hard to tell because of the lack of good pics as you said.
The more I look at it, yes I think they are part of the headlight structure. Can't see any halo DRLs, which is disappointing.

All the lower models of other luxury car makers have neat halo DRLs, or at least the option for them. Perhaps the 3 will have base headlights, then fancy halo headlights. I suspect they'll be LEDs either way because of the power consumption.

A little round LED DRL is so 2000s; I can't see Tesla of all people doing that but we shall see.

$_3.JPG

LED-DRL-Lamp-021.jpg

thumbs-down-sign.png

The more I look at it, yes I think they are part of the headlight structure. Can't see any halo DRLs, which is disappointing.

All the lower models of other luxury car makers have neat halo DRLs, or at least the option for them. Perhaps the 3 will have base headlights, then fancy halo headlights. I suspect they'll be LEDs either way because of the power consumption.

A little round LED DRL is so 2000s; I can't see Tesla of all people doing that but we shall see.

Yeah, I like the halo look too.

I guess there is always a chance there is some tweaking to the headlights revealed in the final design. It would be surprising to me to have no halo, given that the S and X both have it.

Delaying a reveal by a couple of days is hardly worth getting upset over, if they need to take two more days because something else came up then that's the way it is.

Impatient much? Just because you haven't gotten one yet doesn't mean you won't. These things take time, heck they only recently finished sending the thank you cards and prints to all the reservation holders and you want you other gift right away? What if the other gift was something like the rumored scale model and couldn't even be started until the design was complete? That would take a few weeks to even get proofs back from whoever is making them, then they'd need to build a several thousand of them, then ship them out. Even more importantly, they may not want to send anything out that shows the final design until the second reveal.
Come on. Upset is hardly the word you should use. I'm just fine.

Other gift? We'll see.

Either way.....my comments are correct. Its a known fact that Tesla misses dates and promises consistently. Say what you want in response.....

And please stop assuming I'm upset.

Exterior design of the Model 3 just "seems right" so far. The interior however is kind of so-so but I expect changes there like the Model S and Model X prototypes have shown. It may end up being the "real" interior wasn't finished in time for the reveal so we only got to see a placeholder.
Given Elon's comments about the control systems and non-answers about full autonomy when asked directly I'm expecting a few surprises when the final production cars are revealed.