Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do they wash the cars that come off the ship in Southampton?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I am collecting my car from Manchester on the 5th, as they will not wash your car if you ask them not to because the last 2 cars I have collected from Longbridge have been "dry" washed which leaves the paintwork with swirl marks all over the car !

I have been told that when the car is taken of the ship that all the teslas are taken through an automatic carwash. Are there any members out there who knows if this is true or are aware of what happens to cars once they are taken of the ship ?

Hello All,

I am collecting my car from Manchester on the 5th, as they will not wash your car if you ask them not to because the last 2 cars I have collected from Longbridge have been "dry" washed which leaves the paintwork with swirl marks all over the car !

I have been told that when the car is taken of the ship that all the teslas are taken through an automatic carwash. Are there any members out there who knows if this is true or are aware of what happens to cars once they are taken of the ship ?
Nah, don’t worry too much. Other than rain and sunshine nothing much happens once it is out of the ship.

Though the possibilities of miscommunication is great as you are dealing with Tesla if you leave a message - from not dealer prepped to no message passed to anyone🤣. Take the risk at your own peril. And slowly this thread will again become an Elon bashing post😈

When they say ‘dry’ washed, they mean spraying waterless car washing agent over a naturally dirtied vehicle sat outside for weeks often while waiting for inventory to build and next ship to arrive then physically impacted by a probably hyper-used microfibre cloth - instantly rubbing new micro-scratches all over the otherwise factory-fresh orange peel paintwork.

So yes, by all means make sure they know to delivery your car dirty and do it right yourself!

I hate to say it, but given the number of vehicles on a transport ship and the speed at which they unload, if there is a procedure for cleaning/wiping/de-griming, the likelihood they would single out a particular vehicle during the unloading and moving to the collection area is low.

With both our Tesla (and other cars before them) one of our first appointments following collection is a local detailer. In both cases there were no blemishes that a good detail couldn't sort out.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Tbh, you are unlikely to get any individual service, even if it is not having something done that all the other cars are having done.

Tesla like to streamline everything, which means doing everything the same for everyone, unless you are one of the few who will ruthlessly promote the car on video and are able to keep a straight face when doing so.

Tbh, you are unlikely to get any individual service, even if it is not having something done that all the other cars are having done.

Tesla like to streamline everything, which means doing everything the same for everyone, unless you are one of the few who will ruthlessly promote the car on video and are able to keep a straight face when doing so.
Unlike 4 years back when I picked up my MX from Edinburgh. It had been immaculately prepped and PDI’d without a fault on it. Mind that was in the good old days before the huge influx of M3’s and MY’s and when Tesla still had a lovely showroom next to Harvey Nicks in Edinburgh and the Newbridge service centre only saw a few cars going through.

Unlike 4 years back when I picked up my MX from Edinburgh.

When we picked up our Model 3 in 2019 at West Drayton there was a Model X collection in the corner getting the special treatment whilst all the Model 3 collections were told to find their car, pair the phone, sign the pad and off you go. At least we got some cookies and coffee whilst waiting to collect. None of that now.

So sounds like even the halo cars eventually got lumped in with everyone else? I wonder how the LHD Model S’ were treated? The person with the iPad probably went to the passenger side to get signed off!

Reactions: Tonybvi
6 years ago Milton Keynes service centre had an on-site detailer working under canvas preparing new car deliveries and the loaner vehicles.

Mine was immaculate and dust-free inside/out on delivery, gorgeous thing to behold. Contrast that to the exterior prep duo rushing through countless Model 3 deliveries in Dartford years later and how things rapidly progressed closer to mainstream dealerships.