Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do us a favor, give her a call please, Elon ! [complaint about insurance company rejecting coverage]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I requested an insurance quote from Hartford and was rejected. Please see the rejection letter from Hartford insurance and it shows the lack of education in general among the public.

What is intriguing to me is which part of the Model 3 is more susceptible to damage than an ICE vehicle.

I suggest Elon to offer a seminar to the insurance industry. I know Tesla is offering insurance in California.

Attachments

• Rejection letter from Hartford.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Rejection letter from Hartford.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and glide
It is definitely has more to do with the cost to repair and not the susceptibility to damage. Tesla’s are extremely expensive to repair because they don’t let 3rd party body shops to repairs. That is why there is a big “right to repair” movement in many states about manufactures being forced to sell parts to outside people.

upload_2020-12-24_13-48-40.png

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
They cost a ton to repair relative to competitors.

I suspect what they mean by "susceptible to damage" is "we have higher than normal claims for comprehensive damage". Of course they might not be implying anything at all, as they sent you a form letter that clearly says "EITHER" more susceptible to damage or expensive to repair.

It's foolish to think this is due to a "lack of education". Insurance companies are in precisely the business of knowing what it costs to insure and repair vehicles. They know better than anyone what it costs and if it's a viable business for them.

I requested an insurance quote from Hartford and was rejected. Please see the rejection letter from Hartford insurance and it shows the lack of education in general among the public.

What is intriguing to me is which part of the Model 3 is more susceptible to damage than an ICE vehicle.

I suggest Elon to offer a seminar to the insurance industry. I know Tesla is offering insurance in California.

I used to work for that company... even when an employee, they would not cover me when i had an ICE car....AND they are horribly expensive. Your fault here is even considering HIG insurance. LOL

I thought people were posting a while back that Hartford wouldn’t cover Teslas. Even owners who had been long time Hartford insureds and with home insurance as well.

maybe their preferred customers are over 70 and driving beaters from decades ago?

I think you are the one who needs to be educated in risk mitigation.

The insurance company isn’t wrong in this case and they are not required to provide you a service. Don’t like it? Shop someplace else.

It is definitely has more to do with the cost to repair and not the susceptibility to damage. Tesla’s are extremely expensive to repair because they don’t let 3rd party body shops to repairs. That is why there is a big “right to repair” movement in many states about manufactures being forced to sell parts to outside people.
Why do you claim that? It’s not true. I’ve had mine repaired twice from authorized non-Tesla 3rd party body shops.

Body Shop Support

Plenty even listed in NJ.

I switched from AAA to Hartford several years ago because AAA had very high EV rates.

A few years later, Hartford began to raise my Tesla rates, so I switched again to Liberty Mutual.

This is what you need to do with insurance companies today. You need to find the company that will sell you the coverage you need at a competitive rate.

Some never want to change insurance companies, but it is often necessary to keep reasonable rates.

Reactions: Pkmmte and alexgr