Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you also mount your phone near the dashboard? If so, why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen some youtube videos of MS/X where the driver had the iPhone (usually) mounted near the dashboard. Pretty much the same way as a regular car without a GPS. My question is do you and why? I thought the whole point of having that gigantic screen is you don't need to use GPS on the phone and yet these videos have the phone's GPS as well as the car's GPS working at the same time.

I don't mount mine, but I keep Waze on it so I can subtly check it as I'm driving. The Tesla GPS routes aren't nearly as good, or as accurate in time estimation, as Waze. I usually put my route in both the Telsa nav and Waze and once I realize what route Waze wants me to take, I take that one and use the Tesla nav for general guidance and to see traffic patterns.

Reactions: Cyclone
I don't mount mine, but I keep Waze on it so I can subtly check it as I'm driving. The Tesla GPS routes aren't nearly as good, or as accurate in time estimation, as Waze. I usually put my route in both the Telsa nav and Waze and once I realize what route Waze wants me to take, I take that one and use the Tesla nav for general guidance and to see traffic patterns.
Ahh makes sense. I wonder what service does the Tesla's GPS use...I know on my iPhone apple maps and google maps plot the routes a little differently on some occasions.

Waze in Silicon Valley is far more accurate than Tesla's nav. I don't keep my phone on my dash, but I've run power through the premium console so the cable is hidden, and put a Belkin vent clip holder on the bottom right of my cubby shelf. Works like a charm, is out of the way and powered, and can be seen at a glance if I'm in need of assistance.

I'm in the UK. The Tesla Sat Nav is very poor over here. Unless I am after a supercharger, I use googlemaps on my phone - mounted on the screen or dash. It give more reliable routing and traffic info.

Definitely. Need the phone for caller ID for calls, Google Maps (Tesla sucks for routing as is well known), Waze, etc. I use Proclip for excellent mounts for any car (custom for each), and wouldn't use anything else. I've looked at the ones in some of the YouTube posts, but still like the Proclip concept (auto connection to charging cable, etc.).

Reactions: sdorn
I certainly mount on mine for many reasons:

1. No spotify/pandora YET :(
2. In car NAV is a just plain sad (missing roads, wrong directions, etc..) only good to navigate to supercharger once near it
3. Contacts and Dialing is also really bad on the tesla, no favorites etc...
4. No external apps allowed on that huge screen.
5. Screen/Interface seems slower than the 1st Gen Ipad

For a car this expensive the screen is overdue for some serious love, it needs to be more responsive and support 3rd party apps from google store or something like that or even if from Tesla's own curated app store

Last edited:
Reactions: gabeincal
Definitely. Need the phone for caller ID for calls, Google Maps (Tesla sucks for routing as is well known), Waze, etc. I use Proclip for excellent mounts for any car (custom for each), and wouldn't use anything else. I've looked at the ones in some of the YouTube posts, but still like the Proclip concept (auto connection to charging cable, etc.).

Same here. Proclip is absolutely the best. I’ve had them for years now spanning several phones and several vehicles. My wife uses one too. You just can’t beat a custom solution specific to the vehicle and the phone.

As far as why you need the phone mounted, that is obvious. You use the phone way more than you use that giant screen. It is way more versatile and the apps for it are superior to the in-car solutions in every way. I use my phone for music, audiobooks, podcasts, Waze, home automation, FaceTime, etc. Having it mounted as near as possible to your line of sight is much safer as well. I don’t even have to take my eyes off the road to see notifications or follow directions in Waze or anything else.

Reactions: boaterva
I was thinking of something similar as well. Do you have a photo of how it looks in your car?

Here is mine. I wanted it on the left side of the screen but it felt too close to the steering wheel. This position works good for me and I prefer this over the proclip.

FullSizeRender (18).jpg
FullSizeRender (18).jpg
FullSizeRender (19).jpg