Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you carry your Mobile Connector with you when ever you leave the house?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I carry 2 UMC's with me. Sounds like overkill. I had a nasty scare at 2 weeks of ownership, where my Original UMC Started Acting up. mknox actually helped me out with a temporary solution to get it working, and Montgom was kind enough to offer the use of his for the weekend if I needed.

The reason I carry 2, is I realized, If I'm in a area that had no public j1772 stations, I'd be Up a creek without a paddle if my UMC failed. Where I am every weekend, my Family's business is the only high powered charging location for ANY EV within 60+ miles. If my UMC fails, and I have less then 60 miles (A Nissan Dealership with a 30 amp 208v Leaf J1772 station is the next closest), I'd have no way to charge (as family's business uses a NEMA 14-50 instead of J1772). I'd need to have the car towed to a Nissan Dealership, or whatever the next closest J1772 is to then charge.
I am in the high mileage club (13,000 miles in exactly 5 months of ownership to the day), and even though charging at night is enough for over 99% of all my driving, it's that 1% that sneaks up on you when your not paying attention. At the vary minimum, keep your J1772 adapter with you just in case.

I carry 2 UMC's with me. Sounds like overkill. I had a nasty scare at 2 weeks of ownership, where my Original UMC Started Acting up. mknox actually helped me out with a temporary solution to get it working, and Montgom was kind enough to offer the use of his for the weekend if I needed.

I picked up my third UMC this afternoon. I had left my prior UMC with the car when I took it in for service as it was acting up. I clearly got a "refurbished" unit (scuff marks on the cable and "head") but it still had the protective plastic over the chrome bits which I always peel off. It worked perfectly when I got it home, and I notice that the handle plugs into the port a little more snugly than my last two.

HPWC is the garage, UMC stays in the car. 5k miles on the car, and I've used the UMC 4-5 times so far, mostly at my in-laws house.

Part of my logic when opting to buy the HPWC was that I would be able to keep the UMC in the car. You just never know.