Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you get both $500 discount and 10,000 referral credit if you refer yourself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a loyalty discount of $500 if you just buy a Model Y yourself as an existing owner. If you refer yourself with the link, do you get both $500 buyer discount and the 10,000 credit? If not, can I have my brother (who is also a Tesla owner) refers me and he would get the 10,000 credit and I will just get the $500 discount?

No and no. (At least that is my understanding.)

If an existing owner attempts to order through a referral link (whether their own or a friend’s), they will not qualify for referral credits, because the buyer is already part of the Tesla community. Instead, the owner automatically earns the buyer cash awards and exclusive referral benefits associated with the purchased product.

Reactions: Need
I just asked yesterday at demo center. If you refer yourself then you only get the $500 off. If someone else refers you, they get 10,000 points and you get the $500 off.
Interesting. That's not the same info as @MP3Mike link from Tesla Support site. In there, it stated:

If an existing owner attempts to order through a referral link (whether their own or a friend’s), they will not qualify for the cash awards and exclusive referral benefits for buyers, nor will the referrer qualify for referral credits, because the buyer is already part of the Tesla community. Instead, the owner automatically earns loyalty benefits.
I will probably just use a referral link from my brother and try. It's not going to hurt. You never know, maybe Tesla will mess up and give him the credit.

There is a loyalty discount of $500 if you just buy a Model Y yourself as an existing owner. If you refer yourself with the link, do you get both $500 buyer discount and the 10,000 credit? If not, can I have my brother (who is also a Tesla owner) refers me and he would get the 10,000 credit and I will just get the $500 discount?
How do you get the $500 Loyalty discount? I don't see anything about it on the Tesla website unless the prices already reflect the discount since I'm already logged in.

How do you get the $500 Loyalty discount? I don't see anything about it on the Tesla website unless the prices already reflect the discount since I'm already logged in.
According to the link posted by @MP3Mike above, you do the followings:
  1. Purchase the Tesla product of your choice using your email associated with your existing Tesla products.
  2. After you place the order, credits will automatically appear as ‘pending’ in the Tesla app until the Grant Date.
Someone wants to try it and reports back? 😁

I see the information for the Loyalty discount on the app. Under your account in the app is the Refer and Earn. Click Earn at the bottom. Click Loyalty at top. There's the info and not sure why so buried in the app and not on the website.

According to the link posted by @MP3Mike above, you do the followings:
  1. Purchase the Tesla product of your choice using your email associated with your existing Tesla products.
  2. After you place the order, credits will automatically appear as ‘pending’ in the Tesla app until the Grant Date.
Someone wants to try it and reports back? 😁
Interesting. I ordered a new MY but only got the $500 off. I asked sales rep and they seem to give me conflicting answers. One said it will be credited to me after delivery (which didn't happen), the other on text explicitely says I'm not eligible if I self-refer and use loyalty discount.

( moderator note)

This is one more reminder (because I have again had to delete posts regarding this), that TMC does not support anything at all that looks like "Please use my referral code, here is a link". Some people are joining here just to post this. Please dont do it.

I apparently only got the $500 off. Really thought I was going to get the 10,000 points too. It really makes me mad that I have 3 referrals under my belt from my friends who all decided to buy teslas after giving them rides in my 2018 model 3. The free supercharging miles I got from them expired without me ever using them (I never had need to supercharge). Now, I could have used them for Acceleration boost on my model Y, but cannot. Grrrr

I just bought a MY off of local inventory and am trading in my 2019 M3. Did I blow it if I didn't do anything for self-referral? I bought it with my email address associated with the M3. Is there something else I was supposed to do to get the $500 off?

I just bought a MY off of local inventory and am trading in my 2019 M3. Did I blow it if I didn't do anything for self-referral? I bought it with my email address associated with the M3. Is there something else I was supposed to do to get the $500 off?
If you were logged in when you bought it to an account that already has a linked vehicle, you should get the self referral $500 and 3 months free FSD. You will not get the 10,000 referral points. You should see the $500 off in your order agreement.