Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you know that you must keep your battery charged?

Did you know that you must keep your battery charged? (anonymous)

• I own an EV and know that I must keep it charged

Votes: 125 51.0%
  • I own an EV but it wasn't made clear to me that I must keep it from being discharged

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I don't own an EV but knew that you had to keep the battery from going flat

Votes: 94 38.4%
  • I don't own an EV and didn't know that you needed to keep them charged

Votes: 23 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um.. I SIGNED that I'd keep it charged when I took delivery AND it's printed on this other sheet AND it's in the manual AND I was told about it.

nobrick1.JPG
nobrick2.JPG

I have a storage unit that I have stored ICE vehicles in over the past years. I would not be surprised to discover that storing my Roadster there for even a week or two during a summertime heat wave would destroy the battery. These metal enclosures become veritable ovens in the summertime sun when the temperature approaches 100 degrees.

Storage temperature is a different issue (it might damage your battery and cause permanent capacity loss, but probably won't completely destroy it like the current issue). Right now the issue is leaving it unplugged with low charge.

The active cooling of the battery by the AC unit as the car tried to maintain a safe battery temperature would just displace the heat into the small enclosure, just to be reabsorbed by the battery.
AFAIK, the AC doesn't turn on if the car is not plugged it (that's a bad engineering decision if it does, because the AC would be a huge drain). Can anyone with a Roadster verify this?

Last edited:
Heh, I'll beat this drum again, polls here aren't terribly useful if they're trying to reflect society at large. Polls here are only a useful reflection for the obsessive early adopters that inhabit this forum.

+1

Um.. I SIGNED that I'd keep it charged when I took delivery AND it's printed on this other sheet AND it's in the manual AND I was told about it.

Good to know they put it that much in your face (though they don't outright say it'll destroy your battery; they sue much softer words). In any case, if Tesla makes this 100% known then that's a step in the right direction. If you had it in your face that this could happen (something the emailer says he didn't), then you can only blame yourself.

I really don't know how you could have missed it. It has been talked about here numerous times in great detail. I guess some people are just more observant than others.
Oh come now, that's just rude to a long time poster. AnOutsider has shown he's a very interested party as much as many folks here. I didn't really realize the discharge issue either. I knew abstractly running out of charge was bad, but not the extent of the damage possible.

+1

Good to know they put it that much in your face (though they don't outright say it'll destroy your battery; they sue much softer words). In any case, if Tesla makes this 100% known then that's a step in the right direction. If you had it in your face that this could happen (something the emailer says he didn't), then you can only blame yourself.

I disagree, "Long Term Damage" is the same as "Destroy"

View attachment 4432View attachment 4433

That's almost EXACTLY the same as the Leaf's warranty (page 9 in this booklet http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/images/f/fe/2012-leaf-warranty-booklet.pdf):
This warranty does not cover damage or failures resulting from or caused by:
Exposing a vehicle to ambient temperatures above 120F (49C) for over 24 hours.
Storing a vehicle in temperatures below -13F (-25C) for over seven days.
Leaving your vehicle for over 14 days where the lithium-ion battery reaches a zero or near zero stateof charge.
Physically damaging the lithium-ion battery or intentionally attempting to reduce the life of the lithium-ion battery.
Exposing the lithium-ion battery to contact with a direct flame.
Charging the lithium-ion battery full on a daily basis despite the lithium-ion battery keeping a high state of charge level (98-100%).
Immersing any portion of the lithium-ion battery in water or fluids.
Opening the lithium-ion battery enclosure or having it serviced by someone other than a Nissan LEAF
certified technician.
Neglecting to follow correct charging procedures.
Use of incompatible charging devices.
Consequential damage caused by the failure to repair an existing problem.

That's show you how much you can trust the words of PR flacks, and the supposed effectiveness of the Leaf "cut-off" technique.

Last edited:
Perspective

Looking at the poll results after 71 people responded, there's only one person to worry about.
I don't like the questions in the poll so i didn't vote. There should be a question like: Did you know that the battery can be killed if not plugged for several days? My answer would be no. It is NOT mentioned on Tesla's website. There is nothing about the 'brick' problem. That is way I am upset.

I guess so. You feel better?

I didn't really mean it as a put down to you specifically, it's just a very basic thing when caring for any rechargeable battery. I just cannot imagine how somebody that is really interested in EV's could miss it. I guess I just assume that everybody on here is a car guy, and is interested in how a Tesla EV works.

I disagree, "Long Term Damage" is the same as "Destroy"

I suppose, but just from tidbits in discussions here and there, that always equated in my mind to "loss of range". I.e. doing that a lot damages the pack which means my ideal miles drops more sharply than it normally would.

Again though, if, at the time of sale, Tesla makes this 100% clear to every purchaser, then there's no *real* issue. It's scary, but also easily manageable and you just have to be aware of the consequences.

I didn't really mean it as a put down to you specifically, it's just a very basic thing when caring for any rechargeable battery. I just cannot imagine how somebody that is really interested in EV's could miss it. I guess I just assume that everybody on here is a car guy, and is interested in how a Tesla EV works.

I definitely am, but I still don't know everything there is to know, and this was one of them. Color me ignorant. I'm a car guy, but I can't build an engine from scratch, though I can typically fix minor issues. I think you can be into something and not know every single nook and cranny of the topic. I missed this, but am glad I now know (and got some stock in the hysteria surrounding it :) )

I definitely am, but I still don't know everything there is to know, and this was one of them. Color me ignorant. I'm a car guy, but I can't build an engine from scratch, though I can typically fix minor issues. I think you can be into something and not know every single nook and cranny of the topic. I missed this, but am glad I now know (and got some stock in the hysteria surrounding it :) )
Well, maybe something positive came out of all of this Bs after all. :smile:

Storage temperature is a different issue (it might damage your battery and cause permanent capacity loss, but probably won't completely destroy it like the current issue). Right now the issue is leaving it unplugged with low charge.

AFAIK, the AC doesn't turn on if the car is not plugged it (that's a bad engineering decision if it does, because the AC would be a huge drain). Can anyone with a Roadster verify this?

I am 95% certain that the Roadster will use the AC to cool the pack in high temperature conditions when not plugged in. I have not witnessed it running myself but I have been told that it was running when parked in the sun on a hot day and I have seen significant ideal mileage loss on very hot days.

The point of my post was that the car may be fully charged when being put into storage but due to high temp could fully discharge the pack in an unusually short time.

Last edited:
My comment on Green Car Reports:

How many "middle-class families" leave a car idle for months on end?

Is it reasonable to expect that you can simply ignore a manufacturer's instructions on safe operation of a product and then, after destroying the product through irresponsible abuse, ask the manufacturer to pay for your folly?

I have zero sympathy with this guy, too feckless to follow basic instructions on the care of an expensive item, and too quick to cry "victim" rather than fess up to his own stupidity.

Why can't people own up to their own mistakes, instead of finding someone else to blame?

My comment on Green Car Reports:

How many "middle-class families" leave a car idle for months on end?

Is it reasonable to expect that you can simply ignore a manufacturer's instructions on safe operation of a product and then, after destroying the product through irresponsible abuse, ask the manufacturer to pay for your folly?

I have zero sympathy with this guy, too feckless to follow basic instructions on the care of an expensive item, and too quick to cry "victim" rather than fess up to his own stupidity.

Why can't people own up to their own mistakes, instead of finding someone else to blame?
This is pretty much how I feel. Nobody seems to want to take responsibility for their actions anymore.