Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you normally use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" mode with your model Y?

Do you in general use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" in your model Y

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's how the ECON mode in a Honda works. When ECON mode is on, the accelerator pedal becomes less sensitive from 0% to about 70%. From about 70% to 100%, the accelerator pedal responds the same as when ECON mode is off. This allows for smoother, more efficient driving, but still gives you full power when needed such as for passing.

Because Teslas are so powerful and responsive, applying this same logic might result in the vehicle getting away from you unexpectedly around that 70% crossover point if the power suddenly jumped from 40% to 70% with very little pedal travel at that crossover point.
That’s a valid point. But my Chill+ would only kick in at 100% to the floor. Or close to that anyway.

For now I've been using only Chill because I want to see how much better the range will be. If it's not significant then I won't use it.
The primary reason that I use "CHILL" is for range. I like to squeak every ounce of kwh out of the battery that I can. I noticed early on, when I was using "NORMAL" that my long distant trips required more charging. But I will admit that when I first got the car, the 'get up and go' was a lot of fun to show off. Now I drive like an 'old man' which I technically am.

Is it just me or does anyone find it weird that Tesla removes normal mode after getting Acceleration Boost? Its a software setting, why couldn’t they keep Normal and just add Sport as the third option?
I don't find it weird at all. That would make too easy to do a quick A-B comparison between the two modes and Tesla might be afraid that people might realize there's not $2,000 worth of difference.

Anyone can tell a big difference between Chill and Normal, but many people might not be able to easily tell a difference between Normal and Sport without instrumentation.

Perhaps they could keep Normal, but "turn it down" a bit so that is was in between Chill and Sport, but then I start to question how many different acceleration modes are really needed other than "regular" and "race car". ;)

Reactions: chowdarygm
The primary reason that I use "CHILL" is for range. I like to squeak every ounce of kwh out of the battery that I can. I noticed early on, when I was using "NORMAL" that my long distant trips required more charging. But I will admit that when I first got the car, the 'get up and go' was a lot of fun to show off. Now I drive like an 'old man' which I technically am.
When I had a 2018 Model 3 I never used Chill and didn't see a reason why I should. But since getting a Model Y Performance I replaced the wheels with 18" TSportLines, to get the range back in line with the Long Range version and because I hate the rubber band tires that it came with, I decided to keep it in Chill to help out. I also only charge to 50% to slow the battery health reduction. So far all this seems to be working.

Last edited:
I’m a very mellow driver. Gave standard mode a try for the 800 miles that’s on it. Switched to chill a couple days ago and I think I prefer it.

First thing I did at my first charging stop after picking it up was to switch the steering to comfort.

Standard and Sport steering.

I just Chill my right foot 99.9% of the time.

Honestly took about a month for my foot to learn how to feather enough to not make my wife nauseated, but since then, (2.5 years) 100% Standard. I just barely push the go pedal, and I have the extra if I need it.

Kinda the same with steering. Took a while, but now it's second nature, not at all twitchy.

Also, I set my mouse (on computer) to fastest setting 10 years ago, thinking OK, this will be hard at first, but if I stick with it I can be faster over all (was impatient with 2 wide monitors, going from edge to edge). Took a long time, but got there. Always fun when someone tries to grab my mouse and point to something, they overshoot 100%.

It's all the same thing. If you practice enough, you learn to feather/finesse the "mapping" of the throttle/steering/(mouse), giving you more control in the end.

LR (no AB)

Reactions: dansev
Almost never in Chill. I tested it a little bit and to me it does't make sense. It maps the accelerator pedal differently and limits the max power. I can do the exact same by pressing the accelerator less.

The only real difference is what the manual says about the more efficient cabin warming in cold weather driving. It allows more heat from the battery to go into cabin heating. But that only works if the battery is somewhat warmer than the ambient temperature. If has the same temperature as outside, the heat pump can use ambient air and be equally efficient. So only when it's cold outside and say you just finished charging leaving the battery warm, will the car be able to use that extra heat energy.

I have done only a few test so take it with a grain of salt. Driving in similar conditions in Chill vs Sport mode and watching the battery temperature over a one hour drive I didn't see a noticeable difference. I'm not doubting Tesla's claim, but it might be small.

It is also worth noting that a warmer battery is more efficient. A warm battery allows you to get more energy out as the internal resistance is lower. If the battery temperature is dropping under a certain level the car will show the reduced range with the blue snowflake. In other words, if chill mode takes the heat from the battery for the cabin, you will end up with a slightly less efficient battery due to the lower temperature.

Reactions: OxBrew
Almost never in Chill. I tested it a little bit and to me it does't make sense. It maps the accelerator pedal differently and limits the max power. I can do the exact same by pressing the accelerator less.
That's the point of Chill, to not accelerate as quickly and limit the max power. You may think you can accelerate less without being in Chill, but you can't. I used to think the same thing, but I have noticed Chill is more gentle with the power.

That's the point of Chill, to not accelerate as quickly and limit the max power. You may think you can accelerate less without being in Chill, but you can't. I used to think the same thing, but I have noticed Chill is more gentle with the power.
This makes no sense. I absolutely can accelerate less with just my foot. I do it all the time in traffic, can drift along at a steady 5mph for hours if I want to.

But ok, whatever.

Reactions: David99
Oh I'm sure you can accelerate less with just your foot, but it's not as efficient. The data doesn't lie, but yeah ok, whatever.
OK, not as efficient in what sense? How much? I'm already burning 5-10% range on M+S tires 3 seasons (April thru October) due to all the rough roads we drive (tired of slicing tires on rocks on the backroads).

Lifetime (36k mikes) average of about 310Wh/mile (including 6 months of winter snow tires/ driving)with long stretches of about 285Wh/mile in the summer.

We get to our next preferred supercharger no problem.

What will Chill Mode do for me in this context?

I'm really curious, not trying to be argumentative.

OK, not as efficient in what sense? How much? I'm already burning 5-10% range on M+S tires 3 seasons (April thru October) due to all the rough roads we drive (tired of slicing tires on rocks on the backroads).
Not as efficient as in using more energy, although probably only slightly depending on the driver. For me, when I'm not in Chill mode I tend to be more lead footed and often trying to maintain a specific speed it can fluctuate rapidly. But when I'm using Chill the accelerator output is slower and evenly consistent. A smooth and gentle acceleration is more energy efficient. This doesn't mean I will use Chill forever, I didn't get a Performance Model Y to drive like an old man. As I said before I'm testing it out with my new wheel combo to recover range that the Performance model loses. I think however the reason Tesla includes Chill mode is to help new EV owners get used to the car, because even when they aren't trying, the acceleration can happen than they are used to because there really are no slow EV's.

This makes no sense. I absolutely can accelerate less with just my foot. I do it all the time in traffic, can drift along at a steady 5mph for hours if I want to.

But ok, whatever.
It’s pretty clear one is using less power with the same throttle modulation as chill vs all other modes and configs from this dyno plot.

Post in thread 'Do you normally use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" mode with your model Y?'
Do you normally use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" mode with your model Y?