Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a screen protector?

Do you use a screen protector?

• Yes (reflective)

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • Yes (matt)

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • No

Votes: 53 51.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MrT3

Jun 26, 2021
UK
I've seen a number of people waiting for their new vehicles commenting that they have purchased a screen protector, do people feel these are necessary/useful? Unlike a mobile phone you cannot drop it, scratch the screen with keys in your pocket etc.

I put one on mine (AbstractOcean glossy one) and have no regrets.

On the one hand it's sortof silly when you think about the fact that you're not going to "drop" the screen, but on the other hand if it did somehow get a scratch from a ring or whatever I'd be gutted, so...

Reactions: KennethS
I have the Spigen matt version which went on incredibly easily. Now I can’t even tell it’s on and it significantly reduces the appearance of fingerprints and more importantly, practically eliminates the reflection if the sun is low and coming in through the passenger side window.

Reactions: nicholb and yfwt
I got the abstract ocean one for 2 reasons. One, I wear rings and my misses has long nails so the thought of scratching the screen filled me with dread as its such an integral part of the car. You might think you will never scratch it but its amazing how easy it is to be doing soemthing totally different like cleaning the car and drop your bottle of spray on the screen when your cleaning above it or whatever.

I also found when I test drove one that the glare off the screen was awful. I don't know if it was restricted to that car (the screen was pretty grubby) but I've had a matt protector on mine since day 1 and its been fine. Plus I can count on one hand the number of times i've had to clean fingerprints off of it.

When I swapped M3s I decided not to buy every accessory I’d bought first time **. It took us less than a week to decide we should get a screen protector due to the fingerprints and reflections being annoying. First time I got AO and this time I got Spigen. Both matte.

I’ve had mixed results putting screen protectors on my iPhones over the years but both these manufacturers make it as fool proof as possible and both went on fine for me.

** with alcantera dash I’ve actually spent more second time round 🤦

Reactions: Mr_Dave
I didn't get one and don't plan on getting one. That said, my kids have grown up and left home and I drive 95% of the miles in the car by myself. I don't find the fingerprints too bad and a quick wipe every now and again does the trick.

If I did have small children in the car a lot, I think I would have installed one from the first day!

Reactions: pow216
If I was to buy another Tesla, I would not hesitate to get another Abstract Ocean matt screen protector. Whilst the screen is not as vulnerable as a phone screen, it is vulnerable to long loads such as wood being loaded in the car. And the quality of the image with the matt screen is brilliant, even when it hasn't been cleaned for a while.

Reactions: Durzel
After a week of owning mine it was apparent just from the reflections that one was necessary. Plus you never know when you're going to catch it with an open jacket zip or something else. Worst case scenario you'll need to remove and replace it costing only £15-20 rather than however much a new screen is, or being forced to carry on with a noticeable scratch/mark.

I went for the Abstract Ocean Matte version as its really easy to install. As a cinephile there's only a tiny reduction in picture clarity when watching Netflix. But it's worth it as it's much easier to see things on the main screen on sunny days.

Can I ask where people purchased their Abstract Ocean ones from? I just tried and it says they can’t ship that item to the UK 🤦🏻
Abstract ocean - I've just gone to checkout and whilst I didn't click final payment details, I see no shipping restrictions even though it gives me the shipping options to UK. Shipping the single product isn't cheap mind - when we originally ordered, it was part of a bigger so shipping costs less of a hit.

Reactions: Nick77 and atcoloz
Abstract ocean - I've just gone to checkout and whilst I didn't click final payment details, I see no shipping restrictions even though it gives me the shipping options to UK. Shipping the single product isn't cheap mind - when we originally ordered, it was part of a bigger so shipping costs less of a hit.
Thanks. Possibly kicked me out because I put centre console storage in there too.

That was the issue. £50 for a screen protector including postage, I’ll stick with the Spigen one off Amazon I think! Would have bought it but only with the console storage to mitigate the postage costs.