Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a screen protector?

Do you use a screen protector?

• Yes (reflective)

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • Yes (matt)

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • No

Votes: 53 51.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have small kids and a clumsy partner, so got one on day 0.

Didn’t get the popular brands mentioned here because they were either too expensive or came with a lot of waste material. So I got one from Brotect on eBay for like £15. Vital purchase.

I bought one before the car was delivered, but have never got round to fitting it. It's been 2 years now, no scratches but as no one I know wears rings etc. there's really little risk. I am also terrible at fitting screen protectors to phones, so much so that I've given up there too.

I don't think it's a case of swearing that it's essential, moreover that if something were to happen I'd rather it to a sacrificial screen protector than the screen itself.

I also buy AppleCare for my devices, even though I haven't had to use it, and get insurance for other things, etc. Everyone's risk profile is different but I'd rather have peace of mind that if something did happen that I wouldn't need to worry.

I don't think it's a case of swearing that it's essential, moreover that if something were to happen I'd rather it to a sacrificial screen protector than the screen itself.

I also buy AppleCare for my devices, even though I haven't had to use it, and get insurance for other things, etc. Everyone's risk profile is different but I'd rather have peace of mind that if something did happen that I wouldn't need to worry.
OK so question remains, we have a large enough sample set of people in this forum. Has anyone damaged their screen, or screen protector since having the car?

OK so question remains, we have a large enough sample set of people in this forum. Has anyone damaged their screen, or screen protector since having the car?
My son's toy sword has struck the screen many times. No visible damage or scratches and I'd like to think that the screen protector helped. Needless to say that the sword is no longer allowed in the car.

My son's toy sword has struck the screen many times. No visible damage or scratches and I'd like to think that the screen protector helped. Needless to say that the sword is no longer allowed in the car.
A toy sword that would break glass, yikes 😀 I'm not very convinced that screen protectors are tougher than the underlying glass even on a phone, but are more of a sacrificial layer you can replace. I've broken many glass phone protectors (keys in pocket mainly) but not broken a screen since I stopped using them.

I too have broken several tempered glass screen protectors, but never the screens underneath, but that doesn't invalidate their use to me - in fact quite the opposite.

For me and as far as the Model 3 screen is concerned it's not so much the risk of cracking it, which I think would be nigh on impossible unless you were trying to do it deliberately or were very careless, but scratches. Even micro scratches would annoy me.

I have caught the edge of my screen a couple of times with my ring putting my phone on the wireless charging pad. It hasn't caused any damage, but if I hadn't had the screen protector on - who knows?

At the end of the day I don't really dwell on it or particularly care if people do or don't fit one, it's entirely up to their risk profile. Even if it just made people feel more reassured, with no actual benefit, that would be good enough - as it is for me. It cost a small amount of money so whether it "works" or not is somewhat academic to me.

Reactions: Drew57
I'm not very convinced that screen protectors are tougher than the underlying glass even on a phone, but are more of a sacrificial layer you can replace. I've broken many glass phone protectors (keys in pocket mainly) but not broken a screen since I stopped using them.

Many phones and devices use the likes of Gorilla glass which is very strong, similar hardness to the better aftermarket car screen protectors. I have never seen any mention on the type of glass used on the Tesla touch screens so comparing it with phone glass may not be a like for like comparison.

Reactions: Durzel
Screen protector fitted on the first day of ownership and as with Durzel, I've accidentally caught the screen with my ring a couple of times since. My smallest grandchild also tried to use a pen on the sketchpad and the protector certainly did its job on that occasion.

It's a reassuring but not essential addition although one minute dust spec bubble near the top left does show up when the screen is off but I'm the only one to notice it.

I too have broken several tempered glass screen protectors, but never the screens underneath, but that doesn't invalidate their use to me - in fact quite the opposite.
I have 2 teenage daughters. Trust me its possible to break a glass phone screen protector and the screen as well either via a process of attrition or at the same time in a single impact if its big enough.

• Funny
For me it was 90% down to reducing reflections, and 10% down to being reassured that it isn't gonna get scratched by any accidental impacts.
Exactly why I intent to get one for next week. I’ve heard the white interior is quite bad for reflection on the screen because it’s obviously brighter than the black interior. I’ve used matte protectors on every iPhone and iPad I’ve ever owned and swear by them.

Reactions: Nick77
I wear polarised sunglasses when driving, some screen protectors cause an annoying rainbow effect? Does anyone recommend a clear protector (i.e. does not less sharpen the image) that does not have this effect?

Unfortunately the Spigen ones specifically say they do cause this effect.

Yeah the abstract ones specifically say they don't cause polarising effects, except on Maui Jim sunglasses....

I didn't notice this and ordered one and would you believe, I wear Maui Jims.

BUT, was happy to report no rainbows in sight, so I'm either very lucky or I buy fake sunglasses lol

Oh and as for centre console trays, I STRONGLY recommend ali express. I got mine from there for a fraction of the cost of other sites.

I wear polarised sunglasses when driving, some screen protectors cause an annoying rainbow effect? Does anyone recommend a clear protector (i.e. does not less sharpen the image) that does not have this effect?

Unfortunately the Spigen ones specifically say they do cause this effect.
As others have said, I have an Abstract Ocean clear (gloss) and with various sunglasses including Maui Jims I have never noticed any polarisation issue. I’m all thumbs and found the alignment frame included with the Abstract Ocean protector very helpful to get a perfect alignment.

Reactions: Nick77