Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use Electrify America as a Tesla owner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when super chargers were only on the interstate mostly into 2019 in the DC area . I used Chademo fast chargers at several locations ( thankyou PLUG SHARE AP!) because it was not cost effective to travel all the way to the nearest supercharger ( you would use 3-5 percent getting there) . Electrify America's headquarters area in reston VA and they used to only have one series of Fast chargers next to their building as an experiment. a mix of CCS and Chademo.
I normally charge at home (40 A) but there was a week I was getting my drive way resurfaced so I had to charge at EVgos and the Electrify America and a few other 1772 level 2 chargers. I feel for folks in apartment complexes when all you might have is one or two 1772s and some one hogs it all night. Now we have a choice of super chargers with in 2 -5 miles of us and EVgos less than a mile away (I wish they were cheaper...) . I have unlimited super charging so that is my preference when I am out , but it is really nice to have other options all around town

Now that Tesla has raised the price of Supercharging across all of CA, there are cases where charging at EA may be cheaper.

For example, if you need to DC fast charge / supercharge during the daytime (10am-7pm) on a regular basis. Tesla recently raised most of the supercharger prices in CA to $0.40/kWh during these hours. Electrify America DC fast chargers are cheaper ($0.31/kWh) with their Pass+ membership ($4/mo). This is where using EA will pay for itself (over a long period of time, after you recoup the $400 the CHAdeMO adapter cost).

An OEM CCS to Tesla adapter would also be useful. 3rd party adapters (e.g. Setec's CCS adapter) have been officially banned from EVgo stations, and likely will be banned soon from EA stations. I personally wouldn't trust a 3rd party adapter when we're talking about tens or hundreds of kW of power passing through, it's just not worth the risk. Those level 2 Tesla to J1772 adapters are probably fine, they usually operate at low power (7-10kW).

Authorized Charging Adapters
For your safety, EVgo only permits the use of automaker-manufactured charging adapters on EVgo charging stations or with EVgo’s charging network (“Authorized Adapters”). EVgo prohibits the use of all other adapters (“Unauthorized Adapters”) on EVgo’s network and charging stations.

Prohibition of Home-Built Electric Vehicles, Modified Vehicles, and Modified Chargers
Similarly, EVgo prohibits the use of all home-built electric vehicles, home-built onboard chargers, and vehicles that contain personally-modified chargers (“Unauthorized Vehicles and Chargers”).

Last edited:
The $190 CCS Combo 2 Adapter from Tesla for the EU market, which has been around for a few years now, can charge at over 130 kW at a public 150 kW DC fast charger. This is around the power limit for a V2 Supercharger, so one could consider them roughly equivalent.

We have to be careful when we say "CCS Adapter" whether we mean CCS1 adapter for NA market or CCS2 adapter for EU market. Of course this being the North America sub-forum, I can cut some slack and assume we mean CCS1 when referring to CCS Adapter. :)

it's limited to 50 kW on the 3/Y due to car-side software differences
This could be because the receptacle on the Tesla is sensing the connection getting warm. I actually don't know what the limiting factor is, it could also be the software as mentioned previously. One would have to hack into the Charging/battery management message traffic in the car to know for sure.
I do know that I've never seen more than 48 KW from a supposed 50 KW CHAdeMO station with the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter.

So would most of us. You must realize, however, that CCS was specifically developed and delayed to NOT be available to Tesla in attempt to hamper Tesla. The CCS spec forbids adapters so there cannot ever be a certified CCS-Tesla adapter unless the SAE changes their tune. Given the zeal for EVs and universal hatred for Tesla by most of SAE's membership, this won't happen for a long time.
That explains a LOT!!
I think the same thing is happening for the truck 1mW+ 1500 V charger plugs as well!!

I always thought the spec outlined dimensions, etc of the plug. I don't understand how they could prohibit an adapter. Do you have more info on this?

This kind of spec is always very detailed about the electrical characteristics, communications protocols, and all details about the whole charging system, not just the mechanical characteristics of the plug. Remember that there is extremely high voltage and current here, in the hands of totally untrained, uncontrolled users, therefore safety considerations are extreme.

Paying a bit of money and signing various agreements to the SAE is required in order to access the spec. I have not done this so I haven't actually seen the text myself, however, I have heard from some who have, that there is verbiage in it specifically prohibiting the use of adapters. Had I done so, I, of course, would not be able to disclose it anyway.

While someone might be able to reverse engineer enough of the spec to make an adapter (SETAC?), it can never be certified and, in many places, its use could be illegal.

I have enough confidence in this information to convince myself that it is correct, however, there is, of course, a possibility that this information is wrong and I'll freely admit it. I also would not expect you to believe it based on someone saying so on the internet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mockingbird
A different take- I used these often with our eGolf, and the cable was a PITA when cold. Major pain, actually. In fact the CCS was a pain compared to the Tesla. And had to call several times to get the charger to work (a human answered and spoke English, so that was a plus). Pricing is higher than Tesla , but I think they are going with the ID4 free for x number of years marketing and don’t want other users charging there as often (thus the pricing is a bit off putting)

run on sentence, gin and tonic to blame.

This kind of spec is always very detailed about the electrical characteristics, communications protocols, and all details about the whole charging system, not just the mechanical characteristics of the plug. Remember that there is extremely high voltage and current here, in the hands of totally untrained, uncontrolled users, therefore safety considerations are extreme.

Paying a bit of money and signing various agreements to the SAE is required in order to access the spec. I have not done this so I haven't actually seen the text myself, however, I have heard from some who have, that there is verbiage in it specifically prohibiting the use of adapters. Had I done so, I, of course, would not be able to disclose it anyway.

While someone might be able to reverse engineer enough of the spec to make an adapter (SETAC?), it can never be certified and, in many places, its use could be illegal.

I have enough confidence in this information to convince myself that it is correct, however, there is, of course, a possibility that this information is wrong and I'll freely admit it. I also would not expect you to believe it based on someone saying so on the internet.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

So would most of us. You must realize, however, that CCS was specifically developed and delayed to NOT be available to Tesla in attempt to hamper Tesla. The CCS spec forbids adapters so there cannot ever be a certified CCS-Tesla adapter unless the SAE changes their tune. Given the zeal for EVs and universal hatred for Tesla by most of SAE's membership, this won't happen for a long time.
This is clearly false.

Reactions: cmy4x4