Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you wave?

Do you wave to other Teslas on the road?

• I wave to every Tesla I see! Yay, no gas!

Votes: 132 56.4%
  • I only wave to other Model 3s - the S and X are old news.

Votes: 61 26.1%
  • I only wave to S and X owners - people who have to pay for supercharging are losers.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I don't wave to anyone - it's just a stupid car.

Votes: 40 17.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not aware of Buick drivers waving to each other, but Vette drivers do and of course, the ones who started it all........the Biker wave among thousands and thousands of motorcyclists has been an act of solidarity since the earliest Harley Davidson days.

I was joking. I just tried to pick a common american car brand you see everywhere. What I'm trying to say is, if every other car you see is a Tesla (like in Norway or perhaps California) then why wave at everyone?

I was joking. I just tried to pick a common american car brand you see everywhere. What I'm trying to say is, if every other car you see is a Tesla (like in Norway or perhaps California) then why wave at everyone?
I haven't seen a Buick in years. :p

I'll flash peace at anyone......not going to hurt my feelings if they don't wave back. Life is good.
There was a time that owners at SCs would chat and share tips.........those days are over too.

I wave or give thumbs up, but mostly just get noticed back by other 3s. The S and X drivers seem to just keep looking straight ahead. Perhaps for them, it's all "old hat" and they've been in them for a while, but most Model 3 owners are still within the first 6 months of ownership, so it's all still a new thing.

I'm used to waving as 99% of WRX and STI owners wave to each other. My wife always laughs bc people go out of their way to do it to us.

So...Yes, I wave to Teslas, especially M3s. Problem is, most S/X owners around me are not enthusiasts and don't care.

I wave, give thumbs up and park next to every and all Tesla's and they all usually wave back or acknowledge the gesture. You have to realize this is crazy rare for this side of town, I live in NY, you don't smile or wave unless ordained to do so by the savior himself.

• Funny
Reactions: Wahbash
I have to admit that I rarely wave anymore... It was a big thing when I got my Leaf in early 2011 but they were very rare for sometime... Teslas, not so much...

+1 I have been driving EVs for more than 15 years so back then a wave meant something because you were an EV driver not a Tesla driver. If I were to wave at every Tesla in my area it would be about every 3 blocks and something akin to the South Park Smug episode. Besides, Millennials do not really wave back or have enough awareness to notice.

I would and have tried, but I noticed that 90% of the time the other Tesla owner doesn’t look or care. With the mass release, less “enthusiasts” and more non car folks are driving the 3’s so this is not surprising. I’ve given up on it.

I'm used to waving as 99% of WRX and STI owners wave to each other. My wife always laughs bc people go out of their way to do it to us.

So...Yes, I wave to Teslas, especially M3s. Problem is, most S/X owners around me are not enthusiasts and don't care.
This is true. When I had my subaru wrx back in the day, 90% of drivers would acknowledge each other. That was a true community that shared a passion for Subaru’s.

Reactions: Snow Drift
I wave every time for 3 drivers, and when I catch the eye of S or X owners. When I first got my 3 (9/2018), they were very uncommon around here, and even S/X drivers would wave back. Now they usually don't, whereas most 3 drivers who see me wave actually do wave back. I see about 10+ 3s a day and keep waving. Until they're as common as Civic or Camry, I'll keep waving.

Back when this thread started in August 2018, my answer would have been "usually". Now Model 3s are everywhere. It's starting to feel like just randomly waving at any other car.

Having said that, I do usually glance at the other driver, just in case they wave or make eye contact. Then I wave!

Ok...
So who's the wise guy that only waves at S's and X's?
I hope you know that this whole section of threads is dedicated to 3's and that the 3 is the new standard to which all future Tesla's will be held.;)
Mystery S owner,
I've got my eye on you... o_O
:D