Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does 240v NEMA 14-50 have to cost this much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with the other comments. Get multiple quotes. I simply asked for a 40A plug in my garage. In metro Atlanta I paid $550 all in. But down on the gulf coast of FL I paid about $275. Difference was time of year (everyone is hungrier for the business in the winter in FL) and the fact that in ATL, wiring had to be run inside the walls to get to the garage wall. In FL, the wiring could drop under the house as it is effectively 4 feet off the ground/sand. The receptacle is in a weatherproof box just at the base of the house (about 30" off the ground).

Good luck. Enjoy the MS!!

Thank you all for the help. The permit is required in my area. Cary is expensive but $100/hour sounds too much for electrical work. It might be the norm here who knows. On a side note, I moved here from Chicago land 2 years ago. Everybody and every website that compares expenses in different areas indicated that Cary would be cheaper but they were all wrong. Chicago land is cheaper in almost every aspect except for property taxes and gas. Gas won't be an issue soon :).

I will get more quotes and report back.
Hi, curious if you every found an electrician…if so, can you share? I’m in the RTP area and I’m in need of someone to install a Nema 14-50.

Nick Athan of NC Electrical Group LLC did mine in CH in 2015, think he’s out of Apex. He was Tesla verified (not sure of exact term). Seemed pretty premium to me, but I wasn’t going to go cheap on serious electrical work — needed a new sub-panel and 20’ of conduit to place the plug between the garage doors — ~$800 (less than a set of tires).