Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does 240v NEMA 14-50 have to cost this much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My quote from Nick (still collecting others):

- 70a 16 circuit sub-panel on garage interior wall next to the main panel (which is full)
- will use 4 circuits, reserve 12 for future use
- move 2 circuits from main panel to sub panel to make room for the 70a breaker
- 50a outlet between garage doors (wire run in PVC pipe)
- permits and fees
- $800

I just got an email from the guy that did my charger install and he provided me with this info, suggesting that the EVSE credit will be (or has already been?) extended. If anyone else has any additional color on this I would be curious to hear what you know.

NGT News - Next-Gen Transportation: Senate Panel Passes Bill With Alt-Fuel Tax Credit Extensions

That will be awesome news if it passes. Hopefully I'll be able to claim it when filing my 2015 taxes. According to that article, it was approved by the committee but the bill still needs to be approved by the senate. I'll have to search around and see if I can track it down. I would think that we would've heard more about it if it had already been approved.

BTW, your long link didn't work for me but it did work when I removed the # and everything after it.

Last edited:
Step 1: DO NOT tell them this is for a Tesla. Just say it will be a 14-50 going to a 50A breaker for a ceramics kiln or welder. When they come over, hide your car if you've already taken delivery.

As soon as they see it's for a $100k electric car, they jack the price up because they know you will need it, no matter what.

I just got an email from the guy that did my charger install and he provided me with this info, suggesting that the EVSE credit will be (or has already been?) extended. If anyone else has any additional color on this I would be curious to hear what you know.

NGT News - Next-Gen Transportation: Senate Panel Passes Bill With Alt-Fuel Tax Credit Extensions

Woohoo! This will make a big difference for me. I'm still on 120v because of the cost to get a 240v receptacle installed. I'll have to look into getting this done ASAP. Thank you!

Step 1: DO NOT tell them this is for a Tesla. Just say it will be a 14-50 going to a 50A breaker for a ceramics kiln or welder. When they come over, hide your car if you've already taken delivery.

As soon as they see it's for a $100k electric car, they jack the price up because they know you will need it, no matter what.

The Tesla recommended electrician was actually the cheapest of the estimates that I got, coming in $1000 below the second cheapest estimate and $5200 below the third estimate.

- - - Updated - - -

Woohoo! This will make a big difference for me. I'm still on 120v because of the cost to get a 240v receptacle installed. I'll have to look into getting this done ASAP. Thank you!

It looks like it was approved by the committee but still needs a senate vote (according to that article). Hopefully it will get extended. Wasn't it last year that it came down to the last week or so of December before it was approved?

If you use a guy experienced in building stations for people who have or admit to ordering Teslas, it will be hard to convince him it's for anything else. They're also probably busy enough to hold their prices. I don't know enough about electricity to be confident this is an ordinary job for an ordinary electrician.

If you use a guy experienced in building stations for people who have or admit to ordering Teslas, it will be hard to convince him it's for anything else. They're also probably busy enough to hold their prices. I don't know enough about electricity to be confident this is an ordinary job for an ordinary electrician.

A 14-50 outlet is a 14-50 outlet. As long as "an ordinary electrician" installs it up to code and properly torques everything, it's going to work for a car. There's nothing special about the installation in regards to plugging a Tesla UMC, a kiln, a welder, or an RV plug into it.

While I did exactly this. Electricians are not stupid. I asked for an RV outlet. As soon as the guy showed up (my car was no where in sight), he comes out and asks "electric car? you park nose in or nose out?"

To those saying anything over $400 is a rip off, you guys must have MUCH cheaper prices down there!

I did the work myself, and bought the parts from an electrical wholesaler (about half the price of home depot generally), the breaker alone was over $120, add in all the other supplies and my simple run 20ft from the panel worked out to almost $300, bringing the parts up to retail cost and adding labour there's no way anyone would have done it for $400.

Just paid right around $1000. Total run about 100 feet. Included drilling through block foundation from basement service panel up through bottom of garage wall. Annoying run around the edges of the garage ceiling. The cable was non-metallic inside the basement and rigid conduit in the garage.

Not cheap, but seemed appropriate.

I did the work myself, and bought the parts from an electrical wholesaler (about half the price of home depot generally), the breaker alone was over $120, add in all the other supplies and my simple run 20ft from the panel worked out to almost $300, bringing the parts up to retail cost and adding labour there's no way anyone would have done it for $400.

That breaker shouldn't cost more than $10 or $15 bucks. What the !$!$! kind of breaker are you using?? lol never heard of anything even remotely close to that price.

Cable shouldn't cost you more than 50 bucks. Box and receptacle another 30 or so. All in all parts are less than $100 easy.

Well, in the store I remember the guy telling me it was the breaker that was so expensive (and considering my hot tub 50A GFCI was over $200 I assumed that to be correct), but now I'm looking back over the invoice, and the breaker was $15.63, it was the outlet that was $125.00 (Home depot actually doesn't carry either the breaker nor the outlet around here)
wire was $76.22, mud ring was $4.16, cable connector was $.92, all other items I already had lying around at home. Total invoice was $233.03 after tax.

Well, in the store I remember the guy telling me it was the breaker that was so expensive (and considering my hot tub 50A GFCI was over $200 I assumed that to be correct), but now I'm looking back over the invoice, and the breaker was $15.63, it was the outlet that was $125.00 (Home depot actually doesn't carry either the breaker nor the outlet around here)
wire was $76.22, mud ring was $4.16, cable connector was $.92, all other items I already had lying around at home. Total invoice was $233.03 after tax.
I used this box and 14-50 socket from Home Depot. $27
Eaton 50-Amp 1-Space 1-Circuit Temporary RV Power Outlet Box-CHU1S - The Home Depot

This circuit breaker. $12
GE Q-Line 50-Amp 2 in. Double Pole Circuit Breaker-THQL2150 - The Home Depot
(My EVSE has built-in GFCI so not necessary on breaker.)

6 gauge wire (50 feet) was about $75
Flexible conduit (50 feet) was $30

So, about $150 for parts.

Digging a trench for the conduit... priceless ;)

So basically what you're saying is that I was screwed for living in Canada... don't worry, I'm used to it.

No, you aren't really getting screwed in Canada, but our CEC requires a few of different things than the USA.
1. GFCI is required if outdoors. It doesn't matter if the HPWC has one inside it.
2. A visible means of disconnect is required. Most electricians use a spa panel, as it does both 1. and 2. They are worth about $100 $CDN
3. Most jurisdictions in Canada require that you take out a permit prior to installation and an inspection afterwards. A study may have to be done to make sure the existing electrical system isn't being overloaded (example - an 80 amp 240 Volt load on a 100 amp 240 volt system). You can do your own work in most provinces, but the inspector will be extremely detailed in his inspection. In most cases the permit and inspection could be $150-$300. No permit or inspection? - don't have a fire, or your house insurance may not cover you.....

The wire, boxes and connectors are very similar in price between the USA and Canada (I'm in the business)

All in all, it will cost more than some simple installations, and may warrant bringing in a licensed contractor to do everything. I did, and I don't regret it

Visible disconnect is not required for circuits less than 60 Amps.

Doing a NEMA 14-50 install is _dead simple_. Run #6 romex cable from load center, cheap socket and cheap breaker. A reasonably skilled DIYer could do in in a couple hours. It's really no more complicated than a regular 15/20 amp socket install.

Things only get complicated if you go above 60 Amps as there is no legal romex available for HPWC type installs, wires must be run in conduit, etc, etc, etc. Good reason to stick with NEMA 14-50 unless you absolutely need fast charging.

Mine cost $15 the cost of plug. I had a number 10, for a heater, on the inside of the wall where the car is parked. Drilled a hole shoved the wire through and installed the plug. Set the car to 30 amps the rating on breaker and has worked perfect for 10 months.