Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does acceleration boost affect range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had it for 20 months now and don’t see any difference unless you use the extra power and have a heavy foot. Which I may add AB tends to unleash in most lol 😂

ABoost obviously means one can use the extra power on demand…and I’d assume most do or why else buy it?

So to answer your question max range does not decrease but usable range May depending on how much you enjoy it :)

Upvote 1
I’ve had it for 20 months now and don’t see any difference unless you use the extra power and have a heavy foot. Which I may add AB tends to unleash in most lol 😂

ABoost obviously means one can use the extra power on demand…and I’d assume most do or why else buy it?

So to answer your question max range does not decrease but usable range May depending on how much you enjoy it :)
This.

Upvote 0
Giving the fact that M3P with bigger battery than long range has less range because of the difference in motor, is it possible that a M3LR after AB upgrade would get less range than M3LR without AB since the AB causes higher power output?
No. And your supposition of a range loss and a battery difference between performance and long range are also both wrong. Last but not least in your misreporting of these issues, on earlier cars there was not even a difference in motors between long range and performance. That did materialize in the rear motor in later model 3s but for the first two years they had the same motor just different software and inverter settings. The difference in range is thus strictly from tires and wheels. Larger diameter Wheels cause significantly more turbulence and therefore are aerodynamically more wasteful particularly compared to the aero covers on the 18-in wheels. Tires on the 18-in wheels are also lower rolling resistance. All of that adds up to a significant range penalty for the performance cars.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No. And your supposition of a range loss and a battery difference between performance and long range are also both wrong. The difference in range is strictly from tires and wheels. Larger diameter Wheels cause significantly more turbulence and therefore are aerodynamically more wasteful particularly compared to the aero covers on the 18-in wheels. Tires on the 18-in wheels are also lower rolling resistance. All of that adds up to a significant range penalty for the performance cars.
He’s correct. I have a 22’ LR/boost with 20” v1 oem rims and ASeason tires and I can tell my range hit is approx 10%-12% over the 18’s.

Upvote 0
Giving the fact that M3P with bigger battery than long range has less range because of the difference in motor, is it possible that a M3LR after AB upgrade would get less range than M3LR without AB since the AB causes higher power output?
I have a 2018 LR dual motor with the boost.
I haven’t noticed any drop in range. Not easy to assess of course, because every car is different based on a lot of factors.
But my best guess, is it has had little to no impact that I’ve seen.

Upvote 0
It is true now for US market since Performance retains the ~82kWh Panasonic battery and the LR has the ~79kWh LG battery.

Oh? Thats interesting, I didnt know they did that.

In any case, the only real difference in range between these vehicles is tire size / composition, and how heavy someones foot is, unless someone is actually driving their car down to the last 3kWh of battery capacity.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and dfwatt
Upvote 0
I have 2023 LR but have not upgraded the speed boost software as of yet. OEM 19’s.
Someone on another thread said Sport has wider tires but I don’t remember seeing that in the showroom.

I did two 168mi each way trips today. Most of the way the limit was 70. I partially used FSD and partially “allegedly” went faster. Both ways I was about 75% and 268 mile range. Both ways I ended up with 68 miles left! :(

Upvote 0
M3P and LR have the same 82.1 KWh battery. If you don't ask the car for more power it won't give you more power. Acceleration Boost only affects efficiency because you can ask the car to go faster than you could without it. Your right foot controls efficiency more than any other parameter.

Upvote 0
M3P and LR have the same 82.1 KWh battery. If you don't ask the car for more power it won't give you more power. Acceleration Boost only affects efficiency because you can ask the car to go faster than you could without it. Your right foot controls efficiency more than any other parameter.
Unlike ICE, efficiency doesn't crater under hard acceleration- it goes down some due to increased heat losses, but nothing like ICE which reaches its peak modest efficiency only under max load (top gear). In lower gears, ICE is staggeringly wasteful, part of the big efficiency difference between the two types of powertrain.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Upvote 0