Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does any else regret buying a Model X?

Do you regret buying a Model X!

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • Have not received my Model X

Votes: 45 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darryl

ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm
Jul 27, 2015
Palm Beach FL
I wish I had never purchased a Tesla Model X P90DL.

Purchasing a Tesla was suppose to be a great experience. Up until now I was ok with the three year delay as I was going to get one of the best car ever made.

My car arrived at the SC the first week of February and I was scheduled to pick it up a week later. One of the first production cars off the line.

I then got a call saying there was going to be a delay because a computer module had to be replaced. It was causing the lights to flicker. I felt a sickness in my stomach but realize there are occasionally problem with any car.

The repair took another ten days and I was rescheduled to pick up the car the following week. I was a little less happy with Tesla but since I was still getting my car in February and since there are others who have had horror stories I was ok with it. When I went to pick it up I found some minor problems but in all it was ok. All the paperwork was signed and I was waiting for them to charge it enough so we could get home. I was thinking to my self I am finally going to get my Tesla then my DS came out and told me I wasn't going to be able to take it as they found a cracked charging port. I was a lot less happy with Tesla.

Ten days later they rescheduled delivery. Our appointment was at 1PM and the car wasn't ready until 3:45PM as it needed a software download. My DS was busy with another customer and then we were told she was on the phone. We never even saw her the 3:00 hours we were there waiting for the car. Why they couldn't upgrade the software before we got there I am not sure. Finally I had my car and I had a feeling of relief as I had never thought this day would come. My opinion of Tesla was a lot less than two months earlier but It was still ok.

I drove it seven miles to the Detailer to get an XPEL coating. Even though I had reported the problem with seal leaking around driver's window it still wasn't fixed. On Saturday the Detailer starting to prep the car. Sunday morning the Detailer called saying the driver door wouldn't stay closed, the lock wouldn't engage. I called Tesla and because it was the weekend they said the SC would call me first thing Monday morning. Since no one had called by 10:30 I called them.p, again poor customer service. They sent someone out by noon. They called around 1pm saying there was a faulty locking mechanism and they would have to order the parts. This means another ten days without the car. My opinion of Tesla was dropping fast.

You don't expect these kind of problems when you buy a $155k car. You don't expect these kinds of problems when you buy a $30k new car.

I am not sure it is my service center which is the problem or Tesla. I have seen some videos where when a person picked up their New Tesla Model c the SC had a red carpet and all of the employees clapped. This was to make the customer feel Tesla appreciated their business and these SCs seem to understand the importance of customer service. I am sure some people have picked up their Tesla Model with no delays and no problems.

I have never felt appreciated at my SC. I have not even felt they cared one way or another that I purchased the car from Tesla. My service center is 65 miles away from my house and the next closest one is 100 miles away. I have had many expensive cars during my life, none was $155k, but several over $100k. I have never regretted those purchases. I don't even remember having to take any of these in for repair accept for normal maintenance and service recalls.

At this point I regret purchasing the Tesla as I am not sure it is going to be a reliable car. Where we had a buyer for our Jaguar XJ8 I decidedi today not to sell it as I can't afford to be without a car.

I decided enough was enough and called my SC and ask for the service manager. I found out the service manager position was vacant and the Manager in Tampa was covering for both centers. I called and he was not available. I was told he would call me back. Based on my experience with Tesla so far I was expecting him not to call back but an hour later he called. He was very nice and took all the information. He did say what had happened with all of these issues shouldnt be happening. He is suppose to call me back this afternoon with an update.

At this point I regret buying the Tesla. this may change over time but that is how I currently feel. This is coming from a person who owns a considerable amount of Tesla stock.

Sounds like a fairly miserable experience. No matter how good or bad anyone else's experience might be, it doesn't change that yours was bad.

Not that it matters since a bad experience is a bad experience, but these do look more like issues with your local service center than Tesla corporate. Responsibility for call-backs, fixing issues on your punch-list, noticing a cracked charge port during car prep, and having the software updated prior to pickup are all local issues. Hope they are able to make things right for you.

Regret seems a pretty mild emotion for what you've gone through. Outrage on the other hand would seem perfectly appropriate. TM is lucky to have such a patient customer IMO Not sure where the fault lies but certainly plenty to go around, it's certainly not the SC fault that the car had a cracked charge port but horrible communication re: delivery certainly is. Sadly this may be what you get when the SC personnel are not incentivized monetarily to make the customer happy.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Definitely not good. I'm happy to report that my SC in Seattle has been fantastic as have the support team in Bellevue. My wife's MX has had some minor issues. TM have been fantastic. Prompt and excellent communication. I'm so thrilled with the car and the service that shortly after taking possession of my wife's MX I placed an order for one for myself!

Nobody here can tell you what to do. You surely know that selling it now you'd take a giant loss, but maybe that doesn't matter to you, depending on your finances. Purely from the standpoint of liking the car, though, I don't think you should give up yet. I have had run-ins with my service center, but nothing changes the fact I drive a Model S, the best car on the road bar none. I don't know what your feelings are about electric cars, but given you bought the X in the first place, my bet is you'll get over this nasty frustrating time and end up glad you bought the X. I got to sit in one here in Houston and I love love loved it.

I'm really sorry to hear of all the issues.

I hope Tesla can resolve all these issues and clean up the issues at the service center.
I have never had better treatment at mine, but I know that doesn't help with your issue. I just mention that to you as an investor so you don't think this is standard operating procedure for Tesla.

The journey of being an X owner, from a former model S owner. (And imminent X owner)

I really empathize with your concerns. Unfortunately, (and fortunately) Tesla is NOT Lexus or Mercedes or any other typical car manufacturer. Tesla is trying to be a catalyst for the redesign of the entire transportation industry and even part of the energy sector. When a business is trying to redo just ONE component of a business against established decades old sclerotic government backed entrenched competitors it is a huge challenge. Among other things, Tesla is trying to redo (and build from the ground up) the following:

1) The engineering and customer support process with continuous design improvement and software driven updates over the air
2) A new direct to customer distribution and customer service channel
3) entirely new energy/transmission/motor architecture in each vehicle
4) a new international charging network

Add to that the Model X as a new vehicle (where the company admittedly bit off quite a bit more than they could chew) has a number of unproven new features in the passenger automobile sector:

1) Giant windshield and newly designed sun-visors
2) Dual hinge articulating FWD which had to go back to the drawing board and switch actuators from hydraulic to electromechanical that have sensors that are more hypochondriacal than Larry David at a chicken pox party for anti-vax nut jobs in some wealthy California suburb
3) independent second row monopost seats that don't fold and have headrests that block the view :-( (A little editorial from me)
4) new touch activated self presenting door open close mechanisms

Then, try to accomplish this as the company is growing at 30% to 50% annually (and will try to ramp even more with the model III and power walls) Think about the growth rate from an employee and personnel perspective. New Cars, new approach, new processes AND LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS of new people? Ugh!

This kind of growth and change is nearly impossible to manage in a software environment and they are trying to do this in a hardware/software/consumer mass market environment that is heavily regulated and scrutinized. I can't think of any company in the world that could handle circumstances like this without a fair number of hiccups.

Tesla employees monitor these forums, you may get help from an odd place. But your circumstances don't surprise me and you will have to be persistent in order to get your challenges resolved.

I had numerous frustrations with my model S (which I returned after a few months) and here I am back for more, I get my model X this week. Why am I doing this again, knowing I am essentially a beta tester? Why am I putting up with range anxiety once again? (Probably range anxiety worse than many since I expect to get about 390 WH/mile the way I drive.) Because I look at every other car on the road as a vile earth destroying antique. I want the $35,000 in gross profit to go back to the company to finance more giga factories, the release of the model III and more awareness of what needs to be done to mitigate our inevitable destruction of the planet.

But, being a 2016 delivery model X owner will be completely unlike owning a typical luxury car. We will need to return the vehicle to service for new sensors, better seals on the FWD doors and who knows what else. You get to have a great performing, incredibly safe, really fascinating piece of technology from a company that is trying to make the world a better place. But, you will be training new employees on the job and remain part of a major experiment for quite some time. It will not be without major headaches. But, goodness it is cool as all get out, if thats what you're prepared for.

The Service Manager responsible for Tampa and Orlando contacted me as promised. He is having the parts expressed from Freemont and they should arrive Wednesday. In the meantime they are going to do a complete inspection of the entire car to make sure there aren't other issues. He also offered me compensation for all the problems and inconvenience I have experienced. He plans on getting a status daily and I will get a call from the SC in Orlando each day. He is hoping to have the car back to me by Thursday.

The Service Manager responsible for Tampa and Orlando contacted me as promised. He is having the parts expressed from Freemont and they should arrive Wednesday. In the meantime they are going to do a complete inspection of the entire car to make sure there aren't other issues. He also offered me compensation for all the problems and inconvenience I have experienced. He plans on getting a status daily and I will get a call from the SC in Orlando each day. He is hoping to have the car back to me by Thursday.

I'm curious since I don't remember if you mentioned - did you get a loaner S while all this was going on?

Btw, I had the same problem with the front doors. The mechanism is fine. The issue is the detailer kept the door open for over 30 minute which causes them to timeout. You need to manually lower the window and then push the door shut (it requires a bit of force). Then open/close a few times to recalibrate.

If for some reason the latch is closed, you can open it by using the back of a pen to push it open.

Consistency of second row seat movement and falcon wing door movement has been an issue for me.

It's when I am demonstrating and "selling Tesla" that the problems occur. As a single rider, I don't need to move the seats often or open the FWDs very much. The demos allow me to share a new problem for the Service Center!

The guests who view the Model X are the ones that keep me excited. They flip over the car and that gives me enough energy for one more repair visit.

Enjoy what works and be amused at the unusual gremlins. I am blessed that I kept Model S if necessary. Model S does have a layer of dust right now. Model X works well enough to thoroughly enjoy it most of the time.

You did the correct thing by
You did the right thing by contacting the Service Manager, having been in the business things can go wrong and letting the person in charge know what you went thru will not only help you but others. If he does his job correctly he will attend to your problems and his employees so this does not happen again. Hopefully you will get the Model X you ordered and finally start to enjoy it.

At this point I regret buying the Tesla. this may change over time but that is how I currently feel. This is coming from a person who owns a considerable amount of Tesla stock.

So I'm a huge Tesla fan and booster, and am psyched to be picking up my X tomorrow. I love being an early adopter, love to have the latest and greatest, and obviously that comes with compromises and potential pitfalls.

BUT, there is no excuse for the kind of poor customer communications we've seen since the X was announced. None! You can be innovative and creative and different and risk-taking and push the bleeding edge further than anyone else has in forever, and STILL engage in basic communication with customers. Those are not mutually exclusive concepts. That's Tesla's achilles heel! People like us will put up with a lot of crap to be on the bleeding edge, but there are just so many of us, and if Tesla really wants to grow the way it does and change the world the way it wants, then it's gonna have to learn to treat customers as if it values them.

Because if it can't even treat its relatively few $150K customers properly, how the heck is it going to treat 500,000 Model 3 customers properly? The last thing we need is for Tesla to become the Comcast of the automotive world, best known for piss-poor customer service.

So I feel for the OP. While most of us thankfully haven't been treated as shabbily as the OP, most of us have had to deal with poor communication and information from the company, and it just needs to be resolved. You don't change the world by treating your biggest fans and evangelists like dirt.

Reactions: Xponential