Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody NOT wrap their cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a wrap costs $3,000, isn't that money better spent towards repainting the entire car if/when needed?

How much does it cost for a good paint job? Does it cost more to Xpel wrap than it does to get it repainted?

Here is the issue with repainting:

Couple of brain teasers.
1 - At what point is your paint job messed up to the point where you want to paint the car?
2 - What if part of the car is painted and there is a significant mismatch between body parts from age of the paint?
3 - What happens when you repaint your car and its scratched five minutes later?

-Generally- once you wrap your car, two outcomes happen:

1 - No scratches
2 - Insurance claim

Regarding wraps, it seems that all the wrap installers mentioned that you have to buy this liquid and apply it 1.5 months to upkeep the wrap, it goes for $22-25 a bottle, not sure how many uses per bottle.

From my research, XPEL Ultimate is 5200-5500, Xpel Stealth (matte) is 5400-6000, Prestige Clearguard Nano: $7900+tax, Llumar: $7,000, there are also other films that are in the market but no one in So Cal seems to be installing these films. Also some of these films have limited warranties (10 year, most common) and some have lifetime, but there are so many limitations on what is actually covered that these warranties are pretty much useless.

Another thing to consider is that if you decide to wrap the front part of the car (half the cost), the other parts of the car that isn't wrapped, it will discolor compared to the areas that are wrapped. That's why people tend to get the full wrap and not the partial wrap.

These So Cal prices are actually pretty scary compared to the other prices I've seen from vendors and fellow TMCers in other states.

I only have 40 miles on my car because I don't know what I want to do because wrapping the car is so expensive. For the guy that mentioned that 5K is a drop in the bucket for a 6 figure vehicle, for you maybe it's a drop, but for most of us, it's a large sum of money. Lol.

My wife drove it from a special Culver City presentation location back to Pasadena and it already had a small rock chip even though we were in bumper to bumper Friday night traffic on the 10 W for most of the drive.

I get that it's a first world problem hahaha, but already getting that first rock chip on the first drive home, made me think of wrapping the car along with tinting the car as well. There are plus (keeping the car clean and scratch free) and minuses (mainly cost).

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Another good reason for a full frontal wrap is bugs, as I've been recently reminded (it's the season here). They can collect and cause paint damage due to the acidic nature of their chemistry. Without a wrap, I would wash them off at every stop. With a wrap, I feel comfortable waiting until I get home or even the next day.

A PPF wrap allows me to be more lazy than I should be. I've seen really bad bug damage to vehicles that rarely get washed.

Regarding wraps, it seems that all the wrap installers mentioned that you have to buy this liquid and apply it 1.5 months to upkeep the wrap, it goes for $22-25 a bottle, not sure how many uses per bottle.

From my research, XPEL Ultimate is 5200-5500, Xpel Stealth (matte) is 5400-6000, Prestige Clearguard Nano: $7900+tax, Llumar: $7,000, there are also other films that are in the market but no one in So Cal seems to be installing these films. Also some of these films have limited warranties (10 year, most common) and some have lifetime, but there are so many limitations on what is actually covered that these warranties are pretty much useless.

Another thing to consider is that if you decide to wrap the front part of the car (half the cost), the other parts of the car that isn't wrapped, it will discolor compared to the areas that are wrapped. That's why people tend to get the full wrap and not the partial wrap.

These So Cal prices are actually pretty scary compared to the other prices I've seen from vendors and fellow TMCers in other states.

I only have 40 miles on my car because I don't know what I want to do because wrapping the car is so expensive. For the guy that mentioned that 5K is a drop in the bucket for a 6 figure vehicle, for you maybe it's a drop, but for most of us, it's a large sum of money. Lol.

My wife drove it from a special Culver City presentation location back to Pasadena and it already had a small rock chip even though we were in bumper to bumper Friday night traffic on the 10 W for most of the drive.

I get that it's a first world problem hahaha, but already getting that first rock chip on the first drive home, made me think of wrapping the car along with tinting the car as well. There are plus (keeping the car clean and scratch free) and minuses (mainly cost).
I have never heard of a liquid you have to apply to a wrap.

My feeling exactly...however I have had our 2 cars coated with ceramic quartz polymeric coatings (OptiCoat Pro on my 2013 Multi-Coat Red, cQuartz on my wife's 2015 Obsidian Black). All good.

To each its own. I partially wrapped my 2015 Audi Q5 and its still looks like it rolled of the line yesterday. I am doing full XPEL Stealth wrap on my MX in 2 weeks. Given how fragile clear coat and paint is on these cars, wrap is a must IMHO. On the other hand, I feel cQuartz and Opticoat are complete waste of $$ (granted its not that much). These won't protect paint from damage, only temporarily make washing a little easier.

To each its own. I partially wrapped my 2015 Audi Q5 and its still looks like it rolled of the line yesterday. I am doing full XPEL Stealth wrap on my MX in 2 weeks. Given how fragile clear coat and paint is on these cars, wrap is a must IMHO. On the other hand, I feel cQuartz and Opticoat are complete waste of $$ (granted its not that much). These won't protect paint from damage, only temporarily make washing a little easier.
Where do you get your cars wrapped?

Based on my observations here over the last 3 years, the amount spent on a wrap is directly proportional to how long the owner claims they will keep the car and inversely proportional to how long they actually do.

OMG -- From one eye surgeon to another, I am dying from this post @eye.surgeon ! My father in law bought a 2013 S85 (early VIN) and got the most expensive wrap, proudly announcing "I will keep this car until I die, so it's worth the investment!" Well, MX came out, then AP2 came out and that car (plus it's expensive wrap, not to mention its 80% max charged battery) were traded in for a MX75D with AP2! Here's to spending even more on the second wrap! Oops!

img_7500-jpg.211701

img_7784-jpg.211705

Other than some gloss which I think is a good thing (but unsure now from all the PPF debbie downers here) can you really tell there is PPF installed?

OMG -- From one eye surgeon to another, I am dying from this post @eye.surgeon ! My father in law bought a 2013 S85 (early VIN) and got the most expensive wrap, proudly announcing "I will keep this car until I die, so it's worth the investment!" Well, MX came out, then AP2 came out and that car (plus it's expensive wrap, not to mention its 80% max charged battery) were traded in for a MX75D with AP2! Here's to spending even more on the second wrap! Oops!

Some Tesla owners have more dollars than sense. Next 3 or S in the family is getting the Xpel Stealth treatment - but that doesn't mean the X HAS to be thrown away as part of that addition.