Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody NOT wrap their cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5,000 miles so far, no chips, dings or wrap.

Can it be done? Can someone completely avoid taking a hit from any road debris or escape routine washing without incurring swirl marks for thousands of miles, or even the car's lifetime? Absolutely. A wrap just makes avoiding those things easier.

I guarantee you that my first 5000 miles will be very different than your 5000 miles. There are numerous variables that go into whether a chip or a scratch will occur, including where and how you drive.

Just like the car (not for everyone), a decent wrap is a luxury item that most could do without. A protective wrap is not for everyone because it's so darn expensive. But it is nice to have.

Here's to the next 5000 ;)

When I took delivery of my car in December right in the middle of snow and ice season and graveled roads it was a no brainer to wrap the full front with Xpel. I've got a few dings in the PPF and windshield already. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to wrap the rest of it for another $3,000. I'm getting the feeling from this thread that it would be recommended. I should at least do the side that is between the two cars so I don't cringe every time my wife and kids walk between the cars with backpacks and suitcases etc.

Reactions: Mike M
Question about the car washes, I'm assuming when people talk about not going to car washes they're talking about the ones with the big rubber strips that slap down on your car. What about touchless car washes? Are they safe or can they still impact the paint negatively?

A protective wrap will not protect against the negligence of a highway construction worker hacking away at a guardrail. He dislodged a bolt while whildy swinging his hammer in the direction of traffic and that chunk of metal shot into all the on-coming cars and immediately found the front of my bumper. Ugh. I'm filing a claim with FL DOT and fully expect that they will pay for the damage.

Use a dash cam. Today I didn't, but I went back to the scene and filmed his confession.

Less than 1800 miles in. That didn't take long. :(
20170504_112605.jpg

A protective wrap will not protect against the negligence of a highway construction worker hacking away at a guardrail. He dislodged a bolt while whildy swinging his hammer in the direction of traffic and that chunk of metal shot into all the on-coming cars and immediately found the front of my bumper. Ugh. I'm filing a claim with FL DOT and fully expect that they will pay for the damage.

Use a dash cam. Today I didn't, but I went back to the scene and filmed his confession.

Less than 1800 miles in. That didn't take long. :(
View attachment 225702

Road side missile is something else. :(

My thesis still stands:

1 - No scratches
2 - Insurance claim

Paint is very soft, but let's face it - these cars are disposable items. Technology is changing so fast you'll want to upgrade in a few years anyway.
What with soft paint and the list of other 'issues' - unlike our S, we chose to lease the X. That way we're not feeling stuck with the list of other 'issues'. Similarly, the typical amount of normal rock dings will just be par for the course if/when we turn it in.

What with soft paint and the list of other 'issues' - unlike our S, we chose to lease the X. That way we're not feeling stuck with the list of other 'issues'. Similarly, the typical amount of normal rock dings will just be par for the course if/when we turn it in.
You would be a fool to wrap a leased car unless you thought you might keep it. I don't think leasing works out well financially, but it would definitely take away from the stress of trying to keep your car perfect. If you are going to wrap your purchased car that takes quite a bit away from the financial advantages of buying over leasing. Maybe I should have leased after all.

You would be a fool to wrap a leased car unless you thought you might keep it. I don't think leasing works out well financially, but it would definitely take away from the stress of trying to keep your car perfect. If you are going to wrap your purchased car that takes quite a bit away from the financial advantages of buying over leasing. Maybe I should have leased after all.

I thought about that too. Why spend $6,000 on a wrap for a purchased vehicle when I could just put that towards the overages on the miles for a lease?

I really didn't think I was going to spend even $2,000 on protecting the paint when I bought the car. I don't even really want to run the numbers now but I think you make a valid point in that a lease without a wrap may be more cost-effective.

Reactions: hill
our lease works easiest for business write off too - not having to give back depreciation upon sale. but ymmv. and yes, the mileage overages will definitely come into play upon our planned cross-country trip to see the grandkids. And yes ... it's a business trip ... checking on the rental property ...
;)
look out rock chips - here we come

Having leased at least a dozen luxury cars in the past, I can tell you Tesla lease is by far the worst financially. Reason being they don't subsidize their leases like other luxury brands. The only way to justify this type of lease is by taking a business deduction.

our lease works easiest for business write off too - not having to give back depreciation upon sale. but ymmv. and yes, the mileage overages will definitely come into play upon our planned cross-country trip to see the grandkids. And yes ... it's a business trip ... checking on the rental property ...
;)
look out rock chips - here we come

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Wouldn't a full paint job cost about $6k? Wouldn't it make sense just to repaint the car in 3 years vs. a wrap? Might make sense on front surfaces for piece of mind. No way I'm spending $6k to wrap a Tesla, the paint sucks from the factory anyway. Mine had swirls on delivery. This is not a Ferrari!

Wouldn't a full paint job cost about $6k? Wouldn't it make sense just to repaint the car in 3 years vs. a wrap? Might make sense on front surfaces for piece of mind. No way I'm spending $6k to wrap a Tesla, the paint sucks from the factory anyway. Mine had swirls on delivery. This is not a Ferrari!

You'd be surprised how poor Ferrari paint is from the factory, they come with all sorts of defects and swirl marks.

There are several downsides in repainting your vehicle, aside form quality issues, potential loss of value and down time of the vehicle its always best to keep OEM paint and bodywork when possible. Wrapping the full vehicle is definitely not for everybody, just know without any protection damage and chipping will occur, if you can live with that then save the money. When I purchase a new iPhone the first thing I do is buy a screen cover and a case, and there is only a few hundred dollars. I cringe at the people that have the courage to carry their new phones without any covers or cases, nothing wrong with that just not my preference! I like many of you, work very hard for my money and value the things I purchase with it, for me spending a fraction of that purchase to protect it and give me peace of mind, is more than worth it.

It seems that everybody on these forums wrap their cars, and spend a lot to do it as well! I'm curious how the Tesla soft paint withstands years of use without any protection.

I've never felt the need to do any paint protection on my other cars, but none have had such delicate paint as my Model X.
I was on the fence and at times reconsider it. The big reasons for me not doing it are:

1. No added tangible value. Sure it adds mental value, but no one will pay you more because you wrapped it, assuming you plan to sell it.

2. The cost is a bit high and can be spent on better things, in my situation anyways.

3. When you get into an accident or need a piece replaced, you'll need to wrap it again. I don't think all insurances cover it or will cover it.

4. I've stopped caring to have a car looking like it was just painted/new.

5. Without it and almost at 12,000 miles, the only thing it MIGHT have helped with, was the river rock slamming into the bumper and chipping some paint. Not very noticeable anyways and everything still works :)